Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

All wheel drive malfunction on the 3rd day

Old 05-17-2017, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All wheel drive malfunction on the 3rd day

I picked up my 2018 Q5 Progressiv 2 days ago. I was driving on highway this afternoon and as I drove past a highway expansion joint, the all wheel drive malfunction alarm went off and there was a very loud scratching noise from somewhere below the car. The noise persisted for a minute or so until I drove past another expansion joint. But the warning sign was still on even after I turned the ignition off and on a few times. Will take the car to the dealer tomorrow morning and see what is happening.

I also experienced some other minor issue. For example every time I start the car and when I hit the 40km/h speed I hear and feel a clicking on the gas paddle. The clicking doesn't come back until the next time I start the car.

Old 05-17-2017, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

The clicking is normal.
Old 05-24-2019, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

hmm, the light came on for my 2018 Q5 the other day. Car has 4K miles and just came on for no reason. Parked the car and no issues later in the day. 2 days later, light comes on again about the All Wheel Drive Malfunction. So take to dealer this week to get it looked it. Dealer says diagnosed and no faults stored and vehicle is operating fine.

This morning, the light comes on again. Irritating and no help from dealer. Will take to another dealer to look at it but wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem.
Old 05-26-2019, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Wonder if it is better off buying a low mile CPO than new cars. Surprising to see all these new cars with issues in the last couple of says (AC/Power steering/AWD malfunction).
Old 05-26-2019, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by txl146
Wonder if it is better off buying a low mile CPO than new cars. Surprising to see all these new cars with issues in the last couple of says (AC/Power steering/AWD malfunction).
Have leased 4 Audis in a row and never had the car in for a single repair. My wife has leased 4 Town and Countries in a row and not a single repair.

This notion that new cars immediately fall apart is nonsense. You want to see crap cars go back to the 60s and 70s and see the garbage manufacturers shipped to their customers.

I can tell you endless stories of a new car catching on fire, keys that couldnt be removed from steering columns, upholstery that didnt quite cover bare metals, endless creeks and rattles, alternators that crapped out the first day, accelerator pedals that would race to 8000 rpm without being touched

Last edited by Omeletpants; 05-26-2019 at 07:53 AM.
Old 05-30-2019, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by txl146
Buyers with problems are going to show up on Forums. It’s not significant data. It might mean something or it might not.

Originally Posted by Omeletpants
Have leased 4 Audis in a row and never had the car in for a single repair. My wife has leased 4 Town and Countries in a row and not a single repair.

This notion that new cars immediately fall apart is nonsense. You want to see crap cars go back to the 60s and 70s and see the garbage manufacturers shipped to their customers.

I can tell you endless stories of a new car catching on fire, keys that couldnt be removed from steering columns, upholstery that didnt quite cover bare metals, endless creeks and rattles, alternators that crapped out the first day, accelerator pedals that would race to 8000 rpm without being touched
Your personal experience is not data. Ever heard the term “small sample size?” In your case, one person, only four cars in each of two brands.

It’s undoubtedly true that cars today are better in every way than cars of olden days, but what does that have to do with the idea of looking for CPO Q5 cars instead of new cars? With respect (as I am an old man myself), you gave a great example of the “old man response,” lol.
Old 06-20-2020, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default all wheel drive malfunction

[QUOTE=zeta_ophi;24969972]I picked up my 2018 Q5 Progressiv 2 days ago. I was driving on highway this afternoon and as I drove past a highway expansion joint, the all wheel drive malfunction alarm went off and there was a very loud scratching noise from somewhere below the car. The noise persisted for a minute or so until I drove past another expansion joint. But the warning sign was still on even after I turned the ignition off and on a few times. Will take the car to the dealer tomorrow morning and see what is happening.

I also experienced some other minor issue. For example every time I start the car and when I hit the 40km/h speed I hear and feel a clicking on the gas paddle. The clicking doesn't come back until the next time I start the car.

I have the same issue with my Audi Q 5! I have been hearing what sounds like a rolling metal vibration under the car. It's been going on for several weeks so I finally made an appointment to have the dealership look at it. But yesterday, the warning light came on with the message that the all wheel drive was malfunctioning. My appointment is for this coming Tuesday. Hopefully I will not have the same experience as you did due to the fact that I live on an Island, making it difficult for me mohave to keep going back.

Old 06-21-2020, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

[QUOTE=Paul_1953;25469021

I also experienced some other minor issue. For example every time I start the car and when I hit the 40km/h speed I hear and feel a clicking on the gas paddle. The clicking doesn't come back until the next time I start the car..[/QUOTE]

That is normal. It is an ABS check done as soon as the car reaches 40 every time the car is started, as you noted.