Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Keyless Start, Drive Select, Keyless Entry

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 01:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts
Default Keyless Start, Drive Select, Keyless Entry

I am gathering all the parts needed for Drive Select, Keyess Start and Keyless Entry. I am translating german guides into English for this purpose and printing some diagrams.

Missing some screws for the 4 wireless antennas (one at the console, 2 at the front doors, 1 at the luggage compartment), a compatible comfort module and a compatible Audi Key.

After all the parts are installed, and vcds reprogramming (Drive select) I will visit Audi in order to install a new comfort module and a new wireless key in order to enable Keyless start/entry.

I might need some help, so I am opening this thread in case a more experience user in this can give me some guidance.

Old 05-19-2017, 02:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you changing the steering rack for drive select or just adding the buttons? You can change the coding on the MMI to change the steering without the buttons. It's a slight change but it is noticeable. I have two Q5's and one has the button, steering rack, and suspension. The one with it makes a huge difference in the steering and handling.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I dont have MMI but concert radio (6.5" infotainement), thus I need the Drive select button.

The steering also gets modified with drive select even with the normal power steering technology. At least this is what I have read.

I will modify the VCDs coding to adapt through drive select power steering, automatic gearbox, and engine throttle response (I dont have adaptable suspension technoogy or active torque vectoring).

The aim is to improve handing, and to add some tech features and see how it improves driving.

How do you define steering rack?? I did not understand the term.

Last edited by apoelistas; 05-19-2017 at 04:25 AM.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by apoelistas
I dont have MMI but concert radio (6.5" infotainement), thus I need the Drive select button.

The steering also gets modified with drive select even with the normal power steering technology. At least this is what I have read.

I will modify the VCDs coding to adapt through drive select power steering, automatic gearbox, and engine throttle response (I dont have adaptable suspension technoogy or active torque vectoring).

The aim is to improve handing, and to add some tech features and see how it improves driving.

How do you define steering rack?? I did not understand the term.

The power steering rack is different on the cars that come with factory installed Drive Select. Without the rack you won't see much change.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

No I am definitely not modifying the steering rack to dynamic steering or electromechanical, but I will give my opinion of power steering servotronic performance with drive select options.

This is what my specs say:
1N3 VWGROUP LEN Speed-related variable steering assist (Servotronic)

Maybe you had in mind the 1N1 conversion to 1N3 steering rack???

Last edited by apoelistas; 05-19-2017 at 06:51 AM.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

At this point in time I would not install keyless entry, as much as I love it.

The problem is, and has become widely confirmed and documented in the past two years, that any criminal with a $1500 box, then a $200 box, now a $25 box, can "impersonate" your key and unlock and start your car. AoA swore there was no such problem two years ago...but last year 14 (16?) automakers formed a working group to make it sound like they were addressing the problem. They've done nothing.

The keyless entry system, as it presently stands, basically leaves your car unlocked and accessible to any thief who wants it. Sadly better to install an aftermarket system, one that uses a fob which only "talks" when a physical button is pushed.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Redd,
Do you know if I install just the start stop button, do I only need to use one antenna at the console???

I will try this first, though I believe that I still need to change the comfort unit and the Key to an advanced key.

(I will not install the door sensors and the 3 other antennas as a first step).
Thanks
Old 05-20-2017, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

I don't know, but that would seem to be enough. Knowing Audi, if only one sensor is in place, the CAN Bus will throw an error code someplace.

I've thought about playing with the fobs and locks while the liftgate is open, for easy access to the rear fuse rows. IIRC I think it is fuse#20 in the rear set that powers all the fob radios. If pulling that fuse (interrupting that circuit) allows the radios to be disabled without confusing anything else, that would also mean a "real security" system could be added by putting an inexpensive ($25-50) simple remote control in there, so pressing a real button on a separate real fob actually disabled the door fobs are really locked the car.
Just an idea if you get curious to explore.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

By the time you pay for all of these parts and spend the $ and time for labor to install...wouldn't it have made more sense to get a P+ or Prestige with it already in there?
Grey
Old 05-20-2017, 02:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree with you. Not sure why people try to do it this way

Quick Reply: Keyless Start, Drive Select, Keyless Entry