Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

2018 - not impressed.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 225 Likes on 189 Posts
Default 2018 - not impressed.

I was at my dealer getting some recalls done on my 2014 Q5 the other day. So had a lot of time to go over the 2018.

This is just my opinion, I'm a picky car owner.

First, I'm sure many "1st" time Q5 buyers will be happy with the 2018.

My take is that the Q5 Gen 2 has been cheapened up. The interior materials on the door panels, is hard plastic compared to the nice soft touch of the Gen 1.

The hard, super grainy, leather looks like it came from some old dying water buffaloes. Seat comfort really sucked.

The console looks cheap also.

I can't get past the "glued on IPAD" look of the display at all. It should have been inserted into the dash like the majority of vehicles out there, at least make it retract.

The fake exhaust ports are another turn off.

Looks like the Brembo front calipers are gone, replaced by probably cheaper Allied Bendix stuff.

I also don't get the double wheel arches, the seam between the two pieces will catch fine dust, always be wet dust for a long time after washings and rains, a great place for place for road salt to linger all winter, and eventually speed up rusting.

Roof rack crossbars are now an optional cost, they don't come standard.

Why the change in outside door handle action? From a straight pull out, to a now up/out action. I ;live in PA where door seals freeze in winter, to complete freeze over the door. You need to pull very hard on the door handles to open the doors. I don't think that the new handle action design is going to last or be very helpful in door freeze situations.

The grill and below door bright moldings will need extra care if you use a buffer when polishing as they are a matte finish. Buffing them could produce splotchy bright spots over time.

Wheel choices are sort of not so hot.

The plus was that the Virtual Cockpit was nice.

I didn't go for a test ride as the new Q5 just didn't appeal to me, the body looks to me slightly bloated and a step back design.

I talked to the service valet driver (my dealer picks up cars for service as far as 120 miles away) about the performance of the new Q5. He stated that the new 2.0T had a little more spunk, but the DSG trans has an inherent hesitation pulling out from a stop that is annoying. Also the steering is more numb than the Gen 1. He thinks that he senses the grab and release of the new Quattro system when he moves the steering wheel back and forth on the highway.

The Q5 that I looked at was $55K. I hope everyone realizes that the labor rate went from $60 per hour in Europe to $6 per hour in Mexico. Right now 65% of the Q5 parts are sourced in Mexico/North America, not the proven European parts of the past. Plus these parts are also made at a cheaper labor cost. Audi stated in 3 years that 90% of the Q5 parts will be sourced locally. What I'm getting at is that this Q5 should have been priced many thousands of dollars less, maybe $10K.

My Audi dealer sells Porsche in the same building, I went over and looked at the Macan, $54K. Great build quality, Looks, Euro made, great interior and leather, proven handling and performance. I would buy this if I was dumping my 2014 Q5..........

Last edited by Bob Petruska; 05-19-2017 at 08:34 AM.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
I was at my dealer getting some recalls done on my 2014 Q5 the other day. So had a lot of time to go over the 2018.

My take is that the Q5 Gen 2 has been cheapened up. The interior materials on the door panels, is hard plastic compared to the nice soft touch of the Gen 1.

The hard, super grainy, leather looks like it came from some old dying water buffaloes. Seat comfort really sucked.

I can't get past the "glued on IPAD" look of the display at all. It should have been inserted into the dash like the majority of vehicles out there, at least make it retract.

Looks like the Brembo front calipers are gone, replaced by probably cheaper Allied Bendix stuff.

I also don't get the double wheel arches, the seam between the two pieces will catch fine dust, always be wet dust for a long time after washings and rains, a great place for place for road salt to linger all winter, and eventually speed up rusting.

Why the change in outside door handle action? From a straight pull out, to a now up/out action. I ;live in PA where door seals freeze in winter, to complete freeze over the door. You need to pull very hard on the door handles to open the doors. I don't think that the new handle action design is going to last or be very helpful in door freeze situations.

The grill and below door bright moldings will need extra care if you use a buffer when polishing as they are a matte finish. Buffing them could produce splotchy bright spots over time.

I didn't go for a test ride as the new Q5 just didn't appeal to me, the body looks to me slightly bloated and a step back design.

I talked to the service valet driver (my dealer picks up cars for service as far as 120 miles away) about the performance of the new Q5. He stated that the new 2.0T had a little more spunk, but the DSG trans has an inherent hesitation pulling out from a stop that is annoying. Also the steering is more numb than the Gen 1. He thinks that he senses the grab and release of the new Quattro system when he moves the steering wheel back and forth on the highway.

The Q5 that I looked at was $55K. I hope everyone realizes that the labor rate went from $60 per hour in Europe to $6 per hour in Mexico. Right now 65% of the Q5 parts are sourced in Mexico/North America, not the proven European parts of the past. Plus these parts are also made at a cheaper labor cost. Audi stated in 3 years that 90% of the Q5 parts will be sourced locally. What I'm getting at is that this Q5 should have been priced many thousands of dollars less, maybe $10K.

My Audi dealer sells Porsche in the same building, I went over and looked at the Macan, $54K. Great build quality, Looks, Euro made, great interior and leather, proven handling and performance. I would buy this if I was dumping my 2014 Q5..........
Opinions are like.....and everyone thinks that everyone else's stinks.

Not sure why you'd post this in the 2nd gen forum unless trolling. I'll just say that, at the time, I bought an X3 over the 2014 Q5 and I love my 2018. I'm also already over the Mexico vs. Europe thing.

BTW- a Macan starts at 54K but I challenge you to be happy with one that's configured as such.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'll offer my counter opinions to all points after owning for almost a month now.

The interior is the same build quality as my German made '12 TT. The plastic is not hard cheapy feeling and there is plenty of hand stitched leather surfaces.

I have the sport seats which are extremely soft and comfortable.

Console is typical Audi, not one part of it feels cheap.

Agree the screen could have been built into the dash, but times change and this design is not so bad.

Audi did the fake exhaust tips for a reason, and I'm loving it. All my cars prior suffered from chrome with ugly black staining. Now, the car looks exceptionally clean from that perspective and never have to clean them. Smart move imo.

If you care about brakes, get the SQ5.

Wheels are kinda lame, but not bad.

Mine came with roof bars so no comment.

Audi doesn't build cars thinking about freezing door seals. If a car is left out in freezing weather, things are gonna be a little frozen.

Sorry, but you can't get the Macan with the features of the Prestige for the same price. I just priced out the same features, my Q5 was $54k and the Macan $67k. Ouch.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I am impressed by the new Q5. I think it's an awesome improvement.

Except for the realistically available configurations. If you like subdued shades of grey, the 2018 Q5 is wonderful. I wanted to purchase a loaded SQ5 but Audi can't build it as advertised so I kept looking at alternatives.

I'm going to buy a Macan S next week instead. Costs $75k, so $10k more than the SQ5, but at least the Porsche subsidiary of VAG can build what they advertise.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by octo2112

Except for the realistically available configurations. If you like subdued shades of grey, the 2018 Q5 is wonderful. I wanted to purchase a loaded SQ5 but Audi can't build it as advertised so I kept looking at alternatives.

I'm going to buy a Macan S next week instead. Costs $75k, so $10k more than the SQ5, but at least the Porsche subsidiary of VAG can build what they advertise.
What couldn't Audi build?
Old 05-19-2017, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I configured an SQ5 with the online tool. A fairly loaded SQ5 / Prestige with Exclusive Color (advertised at $3900) and the Magma interior.

Sat down with the sales guy, he showed me the possible colors from the pre approved list, we started talking about price and a day after he emailed me that Exclusive Colors are sold out for 2018.

I then wanted to order a Matador Red with the Magma interior (possible on the configurator) but the dealer showed me the Audi internal order tool that this isn't possible either.

I don't want a greyscale or dark blue car or a car with black or grey leather but that's all Audi will build until TBD.

This is a peeve of mine at this time. I am put off by the endless mass of monochrome vehicles on the road and I won't pay that kind of money for a car with a color that I don't like.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by graytag
Opinions are like.....and everyone thinks that everyone else's stinks.

Not sure why you'd post this in the 2nd gen forum unless trolling. I'll just say that, at the time, I bought an X3 over the 2014 Q5 and I love my 2018. I'm also already over the Mexico vs. Europe thing.

BTW- a Macan starts at 54K but I challenge you to be happy with one that's configured as such.
Well if I'm trolling, you see how many posts I have on AW for the last 17 years since I joined it.

I see you have 5 posts, are you a troll...........

Again I stated it was just my opinion, other owners will be happy. It's just seems like a downgrade compared to the Gen 1.

Just going from the world class mechanical Quattro system to a an electronically controlled grab/slip Quattro with clutch packs that can wear out is a step backward. SQ5 maintains the mechanical Quattro, plus it keeps the 8 speed tiptronic trans. I hope everyone realizes that the DSG now needs a 40K mile interval fluid change at appox. $500-600.

OK there are a lot of new tech bells and whistles on the 2018, but it's only good if you use them, I don't.

I do understand that Audi needs to make back their $15B penalty, and every Goal of any corporation is to make money!
Old 05-19-2017, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by octo2112

I agree, and I think that the Macan S will fit my needs better. My 2014 Q4 warranty ends in June, it only has 11.5K miles on it, time for a replacement.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

one hundred percent with you!
Fuel injection! That's a waist, you need a friggen computer just to talk to it! carbs can easily be adjusted with a screwdriver!
Turbos have to be cooled down after driving or the gum up the oil. Plus there's no replacement for displacement. All this new fangled stuff!🙄😉
Old 05-20-2017, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm just waiting for my new SQ5 to arrive and I'll turn in my 2014 Q5 3.0

I'm with you on some points, the gen 1 Q5 interior made me fall in love with Audi, the giant Sline flat bottom steering + the beautiful dials and buttons sold me on the Q5 - my first non sports car. Out of the competition the Gen 1 Sline exterior looks awesome. I wrapped the roof and side mirrors and put some. nice wheels. I was disappointed with the 3.0 (got it because I thought it was a good performance transition)

On the new one, the bottom back is terrible - no exhaust and the ugly bottom diffuser. Side. profile is a bit meh. Now the front is great and the new interior I thought was a great step up. I also had the concern with the hard plastic on the doors but after the test drive and spending an hour with it the rest of the interior improvement made that better.

And why don't we get wireless charging, AC seats (UK) the choice of a flat bottom steering wheel, all the colours and a damn better wheel choice?

​​​​​​Cheers

Last edited by Hecaton; 05-20-2017 at 12:40 PM.

Quick Reply: 2018 - not impressed.