Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Autoblog Review of 2018 Audi SQ5

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 03:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Autoblog Review of 2018 Audi SQ5

Pretty positive review, makes it even harder for me to wait for mine to come in.

Power for the people who need crossovers | 2018 Audi SQ5 First Drive - Autoblog
Old 05-19-2017, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Of course it's grey. Depressing. Such an amazing SUV and it disappears in a colorless sea of mouse grey boredom.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The direction Audi is going in the S versions...

... its bad enough to have piped-in, synthetic exhaust noise (as in our recently departed S4), but the fake exhaust "panels" on the new SQ5 just push my buttons. Really?
Old 05-19-2017, 03:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eric strauss
... its bad enough to have piped-in, synthetic exhaust noise (as in our recently departed S4), but the fake exhaust "panels" on the new SQ5 just push my buttons. Really?
Not my favorite either but someone will come out with a fix for it. Not enough of an issue to keep me from buying one.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by octo2112
Of course it's grey. Depressing. Such an amazing SUV and it disappears in a colorless sea of mouse grey boredom.
Octo2112.. Agree, that's why we ordered an azores green!
Old 05-19-2017, 08:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why tiptronic instead of Stronic?

The Q5 has the dual clutch tyranny why did the SQ5 end up with the tiptronic 8 speed?
Old 05-20-2017, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

sq5 has too much torque for the dual clutch.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by broomdude
It's that the tiptronic is very well suited to the massive amount of torque at only 1370 rpm. This allows for a very smooth take off as well as quick acceleration with 8 gears.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

2018 Audi SQ5 First Drive | Review | Car and Driver

more reviews poppin up
Old 05-24-2017, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by broomdude
Dealers are not always in the know about decisions made by the manufacturer, but my dealer says the 7-spd is used in the S6 and S7 and certainly these V8 equipped models have plenty of torque.

And, for those of you who wonder/wish for the DSG, until 25 days ago, we had a 2014 S4 and 2014 SQ5 in our garage, now we have a 2018 S4 and the 2014 SQ5 in the garage with the new 2018 SQ5 already built -- last week.

So, with a 1,000 miles of driving the S4 8-speed (kept in "S" mode, permanently), the 8-speed seems quicker than the outgoing model (but the '18 S4 does have more torque and hp and the torque on the turbo V6 comes on earlier than the supercharged version.)

From my perspective (both transmissions always driven in "S" mode), the Tiptronic shifts more deliberately. I was going to say the DSG was smoother, but that could be interpreted to mean the Tip is harsh or rough or, um, "un-smooth," which it is not.

It is just that the Tip makes me aware of itself whereas the DSG was super stealthy when it shifted unless the engine was running at WOT.

Perhaps, too, the Tip seems quicker because of the extra gear -- but that may be wrong, the quickness may simply be a slightly lighter car plus more torque coming on earlier.

In any case, I love the Tip. I would have been, I'm positive, fine, too, with the DSG. At the time I ordered the new S4 had the DSG OR the TIP been offered, I probably would have kept the DSG. Now, I think I can safely say, I could care less.

Remember, I, apparently in a minority, always keep the transmission in S or I use the paddles -- if it is placed in D it is inadvertent and is rarely for more than a one block stretch when I wonder why the car isn't quite as responsive as I would like and then I notice it is in D and I immediately switch it back to S.

You may find D to your liking -- I find it makes the car feel sluggish unless I press the accelerator pedal deeper so that a kick down is "requested" from the helm. In D, for me, the transmission is always one gear too high for my enjoyment of the vehicle.

However you drive your new SQ5 is the right way, not necessarily my way. You might, if you feel you can do it, drive the car in S mode for 10 days or so and then switch to D -- if you are like me, you'll probably feel the thing is "broken" in D and alive and well in "S" mode.

I assume the issue for Audi came down to either "packaging" or "money."

Of course, Audi marketing probably had a great deal to do with this decision, too.

Quick Reply: Autoblog Review of 2018 Audi SQ5