Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

S3 Drive Select issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 04:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S3 Drive Select issues

Hi anyone experienced this? My 2016 S3 310PS has a couple of problems. First Issue: I use the programmable * button to switch Drive Select mode. It works initially, but after some time (may be next time I start it up, sometimes after several days of satisfactory use) the button fails to work. Intermittently the mode is obviously switching but the MMI display doesn't show what's happening; sometimes the mode doesn't switch either. In both cases changing the * button function to something else and then back to Drive Select switching mode gets things back to normal (but occasionally not - when that happens the dash Drive Select button also won't operate either). It's been into the dealership many times, I've videoed it and it's been escalated to the factory and had software re-installed - none of this has fixed the fault, and in fact the dealer now appears to have concluded that there is no fault so presumably I am an idiot and doing something stupid (but only intermittently :-)...

Second issue - I had an A3 S-line 2.0 TFSI quattro previously for 3 years. It had same MMI system, same drive select options, but the Drive Select mode would show up in the instrument cluster display, and the MMI display if active. In the S3 it only shows in MMI (so you have to have MMI on to check what mode you're in). I queried this and they said this also wasn't fault (although the vehicle manual seems to indicate it should appear in the instrument cluster instrument; they checked another S3 and claim it was the same; they then said that new software was coming that would display the Drive Select mode in the S3 instrument cluster...
Old 05-22-2017, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm. When I picked up my S3 back in late 2015, the dealer had programmed the Drive Select to the programmable button on the steering wheel. Thought that was cool. However, soon found out I only left the car in Dynamic mode anyway except for really bad snowy winter days. On someone's tip here on this forum, I changed the steering wheel programmable button to advance radio station or mp3 track. I use the Drive Select button on the dash just above the Heat/AC controls now. Again, very seldom changing anything. But it displays the various settings on the instrument panel, not the MMI screen. Pressing the dash button scrolls through the various modes without issue. If I go to car settings via the MMI, then I can see the Driver Select mode changes but there is no reason to go to that screen after setting up your Individual Drive Select options.

Recommend changing the steering wheel programmable button to something else and using the dash Drive Select button. See if that improves things for you. Good luck.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:29 AM
Audiworld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by globet
Hi anyone experienced this? My 2016 S3 310PS has a couple of problems. First Issue: I use the programmable * button to switch Drive Select mode. It works initially, but after some time (may be next time I start it up, sometimes after several days of satisfactory use) the button fails to work. Intermittently the mode is obviously switching but the MMI display doesn't show what's happening; sometimes the mode doesn't switch either. In both cases changing the * button function to something else and then back to Drive Select switching mode gets things back to normal (but occasionally not - when that happens the dash Drive Select button also won't operate either). It's been into the dealership many times, I've videoed it and it's been escalated to the factory and had software re-installed - none of this has fixed the fault, and in fact the dealer now appears to have concluded that there is no fault so presumably I am an idiot and doing something stupid (but only intermittently :-)...

Second issue - I had an A3 S-line 2.0 TFSI quattro previously for 3 years. It had same MMI system, same drive select options, but the Drive Select mode would show up in the instrument cluster display, and the MMI display if active. In the S3 it only shows in MMI (so you have to have MMI on to check what mode you're in). I queried this and they said this also wasn't fault (although the vehicle manual seems to indicate it should appear in the instrument cluster instrument; they checked another S3 and claim it was the same; they then said that new software was coming that would display the Drive Select mode in the S3 instrument cluster...
Have the same exact issue in an MY17 (facelift) S3 with the updated MMI. After some period the * button stops changing drive select modes. Fix is to hold the * button down for a few seconds to get to the screen to change what function the button operates, change it, and change it back.

Definitely an annoying bug.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by scottacus
Have the same exact issue in an MY17 (facelift) S3 with the updated MMI. After some period the * button stops changing drive select modes. Fix is to hold the * button down for a few seconds to get to the screen to change what function the button operates, change it, and change it back.

Definitely an annoying bug.
Same issue here, 17 s3.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Not sure I understand the issue per se, but I find it very easy to simply push the Drive Select button on the dash right next to the steering wheel. I guess I'm old school and don't mind using dedicated buttons/switch gear.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Timmay
Not sure I understand the issue per se, but I find it very easy to simply push the Drive Select button on the dash right next to the steering wheel. I guess I'm old school and don't mind using dedicated buttons/switch gear.
​​​​​​
The issue is the * button stops doing what it's supposed to do.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Is the issue with * button only at start up or other times? I have my * button set to toggle between music and radio and find the button doesn't initially seem to work for the first 20-30 seconds after I first start the car.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Got it.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto what CHCCubs said. My steering wheel button/selector does not function until all the electronics have come up fully. Mine is also set to the advance radio/mp3 track feature and will not function for the first 20 seconds or so.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I get the delay problem on occasion as well, but my problem is as Scottacus also stated. The button just stops working until reprogrammed. I get the "old school" bit (at 62 I may be older-school than most on this thread), and I know there are other ways to switch the drive select mode, but a) the steering wheel buttons (including audio controls etc.) are there to avoid fumbling for switches on the dash while driving and (call me old-fashioned) when I've paid this much for something I expect it to be fixed when it doesn't work...

Quick Reply: S3 Drive Select issues