A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Damn road debris

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Damn road debris

Well I got my front windshield replaced yesterday. Looks as good as new. We've had snow and rain the past few days. Suppose to be sunny from here on out. Anyways I was washing my car at home and came across these two damaged pieces on my car. Do you think the whole side mirror needs to be replaced or if that clear part is replaceable? As for the second picture looks like I need the camera replaced. I would think by insurance should cover both pieces of damage under my comp policy. I have a zero deductible. I'll ask them Monday when they are open. Also taking my car in on Monday anyways to recalibrate the front windshield camera. My car is getting all kinds of tore up lately. Anyone else run into these kinds of issues and what was your experience?

Old 05-20-2017, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Update: Called the service department. They said it's probably $1500 to replace the camera and $400 to change the clear turn signal thing on the side mirror.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Strife1013
Update: Called the service department. They said it's probably $1500 to replace the camera and $400 to change the clear turn signal thing on the side mirror.
$1500, yeesh! I see you're in CO, did you happen to be driving in the freak hail storm that passed through in early May?

Old 05-20-2017, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by eric_p
$1500, yeesh! I see you're in CO, did you happen to be driving in the freak hail storm that passed through in early May?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itPcjTSlPqY
I was luckily enough to be able to leave work early enough to make it home and put my baby in the garage. I got the crack in the windshield from a rock the following weekend after the storm. Any sign of hail I'm not going anywhere. I'll take an Uber. Lol
Old 05-20-2017, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

This surprises me about Colorado roads! When I lived there, they were pretty good. Where do you think this happened?

My front end is so banged up you'd think United would want to cast it in a commercial. I've ordered all new parts to make it like new again to the tune of $2500 or so. California roads are terrible!

Good luck with the fix. Let me know if you need any help.
Old 05-20-2017, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by wdimagineer
This surprises me about Colorado roads! When I lived there, they were pretty good. Where do you think this happened?

My front end is so banged up you'd think United would want to cast it in a commercial. I've ordered all new parts to make it like new again to the tune of $2500 or so. California roads are terrible!

Good luck with the fix. Let me know if you need any help.
Actully the roads aren't too bad here. There is a spot on the highway where they are doing construction and the road is groove right now so all sort of stuff flying at cars. After today I'm going to take an alternate route to work until that piece of highway is paved again. Grooved roads are the worst. I'll let you guys know on Monday if insurance covers it and if it's in fact the prices I was told over the phone.

Do you put a clear bra on the front of your car? Might be worth while to do so.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Guys,

I don't understand why you don't get Expel or Suntek film on your cars? You've invested so much and in the scheme of things the protective film is a tiny investment. It won't stop everything obviously but does and can make a huge difference between having your your car peppered with pings and it looking pretty darn good. I am a firm believer in it and have had it done on my last 3 cars.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Reminds me of the TV repair sting back in the 90's. Was PrimeTime Live or some such show. Hidden camera showed repair guy saying "Well, if they bring in a 25 inch TV we charge $200 to repair it. 27 inch repair is $300. 30 inch repair is $400"...
Old 05-20-2017, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Well I got my front windshield replaced yesterday. Looks as good as new. We've had snow and rain the past few days. Suppose to be sunny from here on out. Anyways I was washing my car at home and came across these two damaged pieces on my car. Do you think the whole side mirror needs to be replaced or if that clear part is replaceable? As for the second picture looks like I need the camera replaced. I would think by insurance should cover both pieces of damage under my comp policy. I have a zero deductible. I'll ask them Monday when they are open. Also taking my car in on Monday anyways to recalibrate the front windshield camera. My car is getting all kinds of tore up lately. Anyone else run into these kinds of issues and what was your experience?

Is there anything that can be done to help protect the front facing camera on the grill?
Old 05-21-2017, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

@bnewton89

I don't think Expel will work on the camera or the plastic part of the side mirror. I don't think it sticks to plastic.

Quick Reply: Damn road debris