A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Blind Spot Warning

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 09:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blind Spot Warning

Anyone else find the lights to be a little too cautious? On my old Cadillac SRX, the lights would do exactly what their name intends -- alert me if a car was in my blind spot. The A4 blind spot lights seem to light up when a car in a lane I want to shift to is three lengths behind me (rough estimate). Am I using them wrong? Does anyone else find this to be true? Thanks in advance for any thoughts on the subject...
Old 05-26-2017, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

They will turn on dim to tell you that there is a car, after a while you won't see the dim yellow light in the mirror anymore unless you look out for it. But if you turn on the signal they will flash bright if the car is too close. That's what's makes you reconsider changing the lane and is the real warning function.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
They will turn on dim to tell you that there is a car, after a while you won't see the dim yellow light in the mirror anymore unless you look out for it. But if you turn on the signal they will flash bright if the car is too close. That's what's makes you reconsider changing the lane and is the real warning function.
Thanks so much for this. So you're saying they come on solid (though dim) if there's a car in the vicinity and the bright blinking is the true warning? I do remember seeing something along these lines in the manual, but it wasn't super clear and there was a lot to read I don't need any kind of indication that there's a car in the other lane way behind me, just a light if there's a car in my blind spot. That's how my two previous cars did it. Anyway... thanks again!
Old 05-26-2017, 11:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it also depends a lot on how fast the approaching car is going compared to how fast your car is moving. For example, a car moving 80 mph in an adjacent lane compared to your 60 mph will be along side your car a lot quicker than if the other car is going 65 mph.
The following users liked this post:
festball (07-09-2020)
Old 05-26-2017, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by billku
Thanks so much for this. So you're saying they come on solid (though dim) if there's a car in the vicinity and the bright blinking is the true warning? I do remember seeing something along these lines in the manual, but it wasn't super clear and there was a lot to read I don't need any kind of indication that there's a car in the other lane way behind me, just a light if there's a car in my blind spot. That's how my two previous cars did it. Anyway... thanks again!
i believe the light will be solid if the car in the next lane is accelerating and will end up in your blind spot. Something like that is mentioned in the manual
Old 05-26-2017, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
They will turn on dim to tell you that there is a car,
At least in my Allroad there is also a brightness setting in the MMI.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

They let up before a car is in your blindspot only if that car is approaching quickly. It is to let you know they are about to be there.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
They let up before a car is in your blindspot only if that car is approaching quickly. It is to let you know they are about to be there.
I guess, but I think it complicates it too much, though I suppose I'll get used to it. I can see a car, even if it's coming fast, if it's not in the blind spot. I just need one indicator -- is there a car in my blind spot? Then alert me. Otherwise, don't light up. Just my two cents.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

The blind spot indicator can be a little disorienting in situations when you are switching lanes and it is picking up a car two lanes over. You think it's clear, you start merging and the light goes off because there's a car a whole lane over.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by billku
I guess, but I think it complicates it too much, though I suppose I'll get used to it. I can see a car, even if it's coming fast, if it's not in the blind spot. I just need one indicator -- is there a car in my blind spot? Then alert me. Otherwise, don't light up. Just my two cents.
Keep in mind that everbodies "blind spot" is different, depending on where and how their seat is adjusted and where they set their mirrors. The car is doing it's best to accommodate everyone's blind spot(s).........................really, it's just telling you whenever a car is in the other lane, whether you can see it or not.

Quick Reply: Blind Spot Warning