Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

2018 Audi SQ5 Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 11:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2018 Audi SQ5 Test Drive

Test drove a 2018 SQ5 today, must say I'm very impressed. This will be my first Audi purchase and I wasn't sure what to expect. The SQ5 I drove did not have the air suspension, dynamic steering or sport package unfortunately but even so the performance was more than I anticipated.

In dynamic mode, where I would keep the car 90% of the time, the SQ5 was taught and handled great for how heavy it is. Throttle response was excellent and there was very little turbo lag at all. The only time I noticed a little lag was in auto mode when accelerating out of a tight turn.

Braking is excellent, especially when you consider the SQ5 weighs in excess of 4000 lbs. No complaints here.

As for acceleration, the SQ5 is fast, deceptively fast! I was not expecting it to accelerate the way it did. Plant the gas pedal and the SQ5 takes off! Shifts are super quick and firm. Audi's published numbers have to be conservative because it feels a lot faster than 5.1 to 60mph. For the record I've owned several fast vehicles ranging from 2004 Cobra, C6 Z06, and currently a 2017 SS Camaro so I think I'm a good judge of performance. It's not as fast as any of the previous mentioned vehicles but the performance is more than satisfactory and will surprise many unsuspecting challengers. Of course this isn't the main reason I'm buying a SQ5 but it's nice to know the performance is there when needed.

Over all the experience is like driving a performance sedan more than an SUV. It's quiet and comfortable daily driver when you want it but has the performance to be more than entertaining when called on. For me it's the jack of all trades vehicle.

Mine won't come in until July so hopefully I can stand the wait. Nicely done Audi, nicely done.
Attached Thumbnails 2018 Audi SQ5 Test Drive-img_3854.jpg  
Old 05-27-2017, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by QShip2018
Test drove a 2018 SQ5 today, must say I'm very impressed. This will be my first Audi purchase and I wasn't sure what to expect. The SQ5 I drove did not have the air suspension, dynamic steering or sport package unfortunately but even so the performance was more than I anticipated.

In dynamic mode, where I would keep the car 90% of the time, the SQ5 was taught and handled great for how heavy it is. Throttle response was excellent and there was very little turbo lag at all. The only time I noticed a little lag was in auto mode when accelerating out of a tight turn.

Braking is excellent, especially when you consider the SQ5 weighs in excess of 4000 lbs. No complaints here.

As for acceleration, the SQ5 is fast, deceptively fast! I was not expecting it to accelerate the way it did. Plant the gas pedal and the SQ5 takes off! Shifts are super quick and firm. Audi's published numbers have to be conservative because it feels a lot faster than 5.1 to 60mph. For the record I've owned several fast vehicles ranging from 2004 Cobra, C6 Z06, and currently a 2017 SS Camaro so I think I'm a good judge of performance. It's not as fast as any of the previous mentioned vehicles but the performance is more than satisfactory and will surprise many unsuspecting challengers. Of course this isn't the main reason I'm buying a SQ5 but it's nice to know the performance is there when needed.

Over all the experience is like driving a performance sedan more than an SUV. It's quiet and comfortable daily driver when you want it but has the performance to be more than entertaining when called on. For me it's the jack of all trades vehicle.

Mine won't come in until July so hopefully I can stand the wait. Nicely done Audi, nicely done.
All these sq5s make me wish we were going that route, but we didn't want to pay the extra 10k....I'm jealous
Old 05-27-2017, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went in for a test drive yesterday also. Mine wont be delivered until mid July. It was a short drive but I opened it up pretty good. Sound was great. This one didnt have any of the extras I've opted for but the performance was there. Would like to see the air suspension but at this point Ill probably wait till mine is in.
Old 05-27-2017, 03:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by kanack49
I went in for a test drive yesterday also. Mine wont be delivered until mid July. It was a short drive but I opened it up pretty good. Sound was great. This one didnt have any of the extras I've opted for but the performance was there. Would like to see the air suspension but at this point Ill probably wait till mine is in.
The SQ5 I drove didn't have all the equipment I ordered either. With the extra performance stuff I ordered I'm hoping mine drives even better than the one I tested. A plus about seeing and driving this car is it looks exactly like what I ordered appearance wise so I won't have to wonder if I will like it or not.

Now I just have to try and be patient and wait for it to come in.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

The SQ5 I drove didn't have all the equipment I ordered either. With the extra performance stuff I ordered I'm hoping mine drives even better than the one I tested. A plus about seeing and driving this car is it looks exactly like what I ordered appearance wise so I won't have to wonder if I will like it or not.

Now I just have to try and be patient and wait for it to come in.
No flat bottomed out steering wheel on the SQ5?

Last edited by fast16; 05-28-2017 at 10:57 AM. Reason: error
Old 05-28-2017, 11:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by fast16
No flat bottomed out steering wheel on the SQ5?
Yes, both the vehicle I test drove and the one I have on order have the flat bottom steering wheel. Looks awesome and I love how it feels. Wouldn't buy one without it.
Old 05-28-2017, 04:50 PM
TTG
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, both the vehicle I test drove and the one I have on order have the flat bottom steering wheel. Looks awesome and I love how it feels. Wouldn't buy one without it.
Not if you want one with heated steering wheel. It deletes the flat bottom option.
Old 05-28-2017, 04:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TTG
Not if you want one with heated steering wheel. It deletes the flat bottom option.
Didn't want one with the heated steering wheel, no need for it.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

I haven't had a chance to go out and test drive one yet but looking from pictures and the option list if you don't get the fine nappa package then you get stuck with the regular circle steering wheel but if you do get the fine nappa package you definitely get the bottomed out steering wheel. Is this correct?
Old 05-29-2017, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by fast16
I haven't had a chance to go out and test drive one yet but looking from pictures and the option list if you don't get the fine nappa package then you get stuck with the regular circle steering wheel but if you do get the fine nappa package you definitely get the bottomed out steering wheel. Is this correct?
No, the flat bottom steering wheel is standard on the SQ5 unless you get cold weather package and then it's back to round. They apparently don't make the flat bottom heated. I don't know if it's available on the Q5, maybe with the Sport package?

Last edited by Ron.S; 05-29-2017 at 04:50 AM.

Quick Reply: 2018 Audi SQ5 Test Drive