Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Dog in Sportback

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dog in Sportback

Hey,

We have an SQ5 on order and on our visit to the dealership today my wife really liked the S5 sportback. In Canada we don't have any S wagons .

Any sportback owners, what's the chance a dog (large 80 pound boxer 31" height. might fit in the trunk safely and Comfortably. Pretty sure I know the answer just doing some due diligence
Old 05-27-2017, 12:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was a big bonus for me and while not what lead me to get the S5 SB it certainly sealed the deal. With the back seats down it will be no problem fitting a large dog, I have a 70 LB pitbull. I'm picking up my car Tues/Wed and will post pics with Dog in the back.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bt7676
This was a big bonus for me and while not what lead me to get the S5 SB it certainly sealed the deal. With the back seats down it will be no problem fitting a large dog, I have a 70 LB pitbull. I'm picking up my car Tues/Wed and will post pics with Dog in the back.
Doggo goes in the passanger seat or back seat...with proper harness attached to the seatbelt latch for safety. I think I only put my dog in the "trunk" area once or twice (SUV/SW)... afterwards she gave me that "how-could-you-have-done-something-like-this-heart-broken-look" ... that was enough.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Fdvigna
Doggo goes in the passanger seat or back seat...with proper harness attached to the seatbelt latch for safety. I think I only put my dog in the "trunk" area once or twice (SUV/SW)... afterwards she gave me that "how-could-you-have-done-something-like-this-heart-broken-look" ... that was enough.
Love my dog but no shot he goes on the seats. With the back two going down and some type of padding or blanket over it, my dog should be plenty comfortable. Won't be going for rides in this car a ton, but on the rare occasions I think he will do fine with seats all the way down.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bt7676
Will look forward to photos. Have S5 SB on order, and another Boxer is in my future.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn, the predicament picking up the SQ on Friday, but that SB is so appealing. My dog sheds like a snowglobe so the SUV really works.

​​​​​
Old 05-27-2017, 04:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was wondering the same thing about a dog in the back. I have a TDI Q5 currently that my 55 pound black lab rides in. I put a dog bed down in the back and he loves it. When my Audi settlement is done I want to pick up an S5 as a replacement.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 83-87# GSD and I never took her in my Sportback (C7,5) but she rode in the Q5 countless times and on long 1100mi trips. They have all kinds of great seat covers for dogs that easily protects the leather. Go that route, your dog will thank you for it...
Old 05-28-2017, 12:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Perfect Thread!

My wife and I are in the same situation. We have an 80+ GSD and are tired of the SUV trend. Our X5 has another year+ left of warranty, and we would like to end this "need" for an SUV (it's been 3 in a row).

I'm new to the Audi scene (BMW fanboy here), and find the S5 SB may fit our needs. May look at a 440i xdrive GC, but that is getting long in the tooth. I am surprise that the GC has more cargo utility than the SB. Not that we would put our "Stanley" in the trunk area, but the extra room may come in handy, especially coming from the utility of an X5.
Old 05-28-2017, 03:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

Audi make a rear seat protection system for use with dogs. It can't be used with S sport seats, so only A5 or S5 with ventilated seats. It is intended to be used in conjunction with their dog harness system, which is available in small, medium, large and gigantic dog sizes:

The rear guard protects the rear seats, the side walls and the rear doors of your Audi from dirt. The versatile zipper system allows dogs to enter and exit through the rear doors, while for smaller dogs the rear protection cover can also be used on the half side. Thanks to a durable, water-resistant and washable surface with a coated bottom, the rear protective cover is suitable for protection against dirt. The rear protection cover is equipped with lockable slots for safety belts, whereby the dog protection belt can also be used. The protective cover in the rear is quickly attached.

The issue with the trunk is that there is no obvious tether point. The cargo net rings are not designed for 80lb weights. Perhaps the Top Tether points used for child seats, at the back of the rear seats? You sure don't want an 80lb dog sailing over the top of the rear seats in a frontal collision - with many hundreds of pounds worth of kinetic energy.