Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Cedar interior and inlay choices

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Cedar interior and inlay choices

So just got back from the dealership and got to see quite a few Q's to answer a lot of my questions. My main question mark was Luxury package or not. After going to the dealership I determined I definitely want the luxury package as the seats feel significantly more comfortable and that alcantara headliner, my god that's beautiful.

Anyways my last question mark before I order is Cedar interior or black. Black is the safe play but I really want the cedar interior but don't have any cars close to me with that interior color to go check out. 2nd issue is that I really only like the glossy gray/black inlays and I'm concerned that, that inlay would potentially look weird with the cedar interior, however I feel there is so much black with the piano black trim, alcantara inserts and headliner that it would be fine but I'm unsure at this point.

So who has Cedar interior and can you post up some pics that represent the interior in real life for me? Im also curious on your inlay choice with the cedar.

Thanks,
Jesse
Old 05-28-2017, 05:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...erior-2895695/

cedar brown is gorgeous.

i ordered mine cedar
Old 05-28-2017, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Avandss
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...erior-2895695/

cedar brown is gorgeous.

i ordered mine cedar
What inlay did you go with?
Old 05-28-2017, 06:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

layered walnut

you unfortunately don't have that option
Old 05-28-2017, 06:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

http://68.media.tumblr.com/0d1f8f0f4...307o1_1280.jpg
Old 05-29-2017, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Jesse,

Not many here have the Cedar, but I can fill you in a bit on the details from a discussion some of us had several months ago. Before I get into it, do you ever get up near LA? I am about 90 miles north of you in San Dimas and would be happy to show you my Q w Cedar.

As far the color. What color exterior are you looking into? One thing I will say is do not rely on any online pics for either Brown interior. They are all over the place tone wise and most quite inaccurate.

As far as the interiors, I have seen all the leather / trim combos in person. The cedar brown is more like a "Coach" brand brown leaning towards a cognac brown (despite most online pics, the nougat is quite a bit darker and more subdued brown). Being Valcona, the cedar has a different feel as well (think rich fine luxury leather). Both are very nice looking but there is a reason the cedar costs what it does. Most shoppers do not get an chance to see the cedar in person as dealers simply rarely have one just sitting on the lot, so no comparison reference. 9 out of 10 brown interiors on the road are likely nougat.

I will preface the following my saying there is no right or wrong choices when it comes to colors. We all have different tastes and the best choice is the one YOU like best and choose. So this is just food for thought....

When I was shopping for my Q7 I knew I wanted a brown interior (took a leap of faith on the Luxury which meant it was going to be Cedar). I naturally assumed the best fit color wise for the inlays would be the layered walnut or the Terra Brown. Then I started seeing some pics around the web, on dealer sites etc. Some photos displayed color tones better then others, but I was seeing something (was not sure quite what it was yet) that caused me to second guess going with either of these inlays. So I started seeking them out in person. I am glad I did because it was a learning experience.

I like cohesive interiors. For me, multiple tones and textures are fine if they fit within the overall color scheme. With the brown interiors, the dash, black gloss trim, steering wheel, carpet, vents, possible headliner etc. are all black. In my eyes the Terra Brown and Layered Walnut inlays sort of clashed with the brown tone of the seats. Okay, maybe clashed is not a good word, but the browns hues in these inlays do not blend with the brown hues of the seats. They add yet another color element into these two interiors which some may love, but for me was a bit much. Then I saw the gray which I thought in theory would be the worst choice. Turns out, the exact opposite. The gray oak is more cohesive and the richest when matched up with all the rest of the black portions of the interior and paired with the lone contrasting brown of the leather seats. It adds a subtle bit of contrast without being in your face. The gray oak is very dark (looking more like a charcoal tone unless the sun is hitting it direct on just right which is almost never).

Again, these are just some of my personal thoughts, so only take them for what they are. If you are ever heading up this way or want to make a plan, let me know, happy to meet up. All my best, Michael

Last edited by Meyecul; 05-29-2017 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-29-2017, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Avandss
layered walnut

you unfortunately don't have that option
I didn't even notice that on the order guide that the layered walnut is no longer an option. Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 05-29-2017, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Meyecul
Hey Jesse,

Not many here have the Cedar, but I can fill you in a bit on the details from a discussion some of us had several months ago. Before I get into it, do you ever get up near LA? I am about 90 miles north of you in San Dimas and would be happy to show you my Q w Cedar.

As far the color. What color exterior are you looking into? One thing I will say is do not rely on any online pics for either Brown interior. They are all over the place tone wise and most quite inaccurate.

As far as the interiors, I have seen all the leather / trim combos in person. The cedar brown is more like a "Coach" brand brown leaning towards a cognac brown (despite most online pics, the nougat is quite a bit darker and more subdued brown). Being Valcona, the cedar has a different feel as well (think rich fine luxury leather). Both are very nice looking but there is a reason the cedar costs what it does. Most shoppers do not get an chance to see the cedar in person as dealers simply rarely have one just sitting on the lot, so no comparison reference. 9 out of 10 brown interiors on the road are likely nougat.

I will preface the following my saying there is no right or wrong choices when it comes to colors. We all have different tastes and the best choice is the one YOU like best and choose. So this is just food for thought....

When I was shopping for my Q7 I knew I wanted a brown interior (took a leap of faith on the Luxury which meant it was going to be Cedar). I naturally assumed the best fit color wise for the inlays would be the layered walnut or the Terra Brown. Then I started seeing some pics around the web, on dealer sites etc. Some photos displayed color tones better then others, but I was seeing something (was not sure quite what it was yet) that caused me to second guess going with either of these inlays. So I started seeking them out in person. I am glad I did because it was a learning experience.

I like cohesive interiors. For me, multiple tones and textures are fine if they fit within the overall color scheme. With the brown interiors, the dash, black gloss trim, steering wheel, carpet, vents, possible headliner etc. are all black. In my eyes the Terra Brown and Layered Walnut inlays sort of clashed with the brown tone of the seats. Okay, maybe clashed is not a good word, but the browns hues in these inlays do not blend with the brown hues of the seats. They add yet another color element into these two interiors which some may love, but for me was a bit much. Then I saw the gray which I thought in theory would be the worst choice. Turns out, the exact opposite. The gray oak is more cohesive and the richest when matched up with all the rest of the black portions of the interior and paired with the lone contrasting brown of the leather seats. It adds a subtle bit of contrast without being in your face. The gray oak is very dark (looking more like a charcoal tone unless the sun is hitting it direct on just right which is almost never).

Again, these are just some of my personal thoughts, so only take them for what they are. If you are ever heading up this way or want to make a plan, let me know, happy to meet up. All my best, Michael
Wow, I couldn't agree with you more! I would love to see your car sometime actually. So you have the interior I want, Cedar brown with Gray oak inlay! If you get a moment in proper lighting will you snap a pic and post it up for me? I may be going up to see my buddy in San Juan Capistrano in a couple of weeks so if thats the case a meet up would be in order.

Honestly everything you said I agree with you on. I saw Nougat brown and didn't really care for it that much and it was paired with the layered Walnut that just didn't seem to fit. This isn't a knock on anyone with that color combo as looks are very subjective. I also got to see a fully loaded Q with luxury and black interior with the gray oak inlays and I thought the Gray inlays looked great and was thinking to myself that those inlays would work with Cedar as they are pretty dark and match the alcantara and the piano black trim.
Thank you for your feedback
Old 05-29-2017, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by djpeaksd
Wow, I couldn't agree with you more! I would love to see your car sometime actually. So you have the interior I want, Cedar brown with Gray oak inlay! If you get a moment in proper lighting will you snap a pic and post it up for me? I may be going up to see my buddy in San Juan Capistrano in a couple of weeks so if thats the case a meet up would be in order.

Honestly everything you said I agree with you on. I saw Nougat brown and didn't really care for it that much and it was paired with the layered Walnut that just didn't seem to fit. This isn't a knock on anyone with that color combo as looks are very subjective. I also got to see a fully loaded Q with luxury and black interior with the gray oak inlays and I thought the Gray inlays looked great and was thinking to myself that those inlays would work with Cedar as they are pretty dark and match the alcantara and the piano black trim.
Thank you for your feedback
Yup, IMO the dark gray oak is the one to get w the cedar. Especially combined with the blank alcantara, it provides that deep rich cohesive feel. I can try and get some pics, but as I was saying, its not a good way to judge, (good or bad) as the tones are very hard to capture and then doors open vs shut also makes a difference as that affects the lighting. I will see what I can do though. Only one thing. My car is having something done at the dealer this week, but I hope to have it back by Friday. I will update the thread w pics for ya when I get it back.

Yes, If you are ever heading this way drop me a PM and let me know and we can meet up. Nothing better then seeing it in person.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

I too agree that it is best to try and see the various combinations before ordering the vehicle. I am glad that I did that because some of the colors that I thought I would like turned out not to be so. Unfortunately the problem is that black seems to be the most popular interior color, so if you want to check out any other ones, you may need to visit a few of your local dealers.

CarSwami

Quick Reply: Cedar interior and inlay choices