Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

2018 Sunroof Delete weight savings

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2018 Sunroof Delete weight savings

After having a melanoma on my ear successfully removed, I know without doubt that I will never open the sunroof. I left off the sunroof on my wife's C300 and we never miss it. Does anybody have a guess on the weight saved on the 2018 if I go with sunroof delete?
Old 06-11-2017, 10:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would guess at least 35kg. And you have extra headroom. And fewer rattles. I ordered my SQ5 without a sunroof for the exact same reasons.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

The number was 220 lbs on the previous model. Probably about the same on the new model. Also, all that extra weight is very high up. Without it, no chance of leaks, rattles, glass or shade breakage. To each his own, I prefer my open air motoring in a Cab or a motorcycle.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Some time ago, one of the car magazines road tested the original Q5 with Pano roof delete and declared it the ultimate "sport" option for the vehicle. I do recall the weight being around 200 lbs for all that glass and related mechanisms (and leaks).
The following users liked this post:
Corgiman (11-23-2019)
Old 06-13-2017, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I wish there were a pano / sunroof delete option when I ordered my B8.5 S5. I am not a sun worshipper and I like the increased structural rigidity and weight savings of a solid roof. Right now, I hear a popping sound around the pano roof area every time my vehicle goes into an inclined surface at an angle. This to me means that the ceiling is twisting around the pano roof. I am not sure what long-term negative effects that would create for the pano roof mechanism or seals.

If I were ordering a Q5 or SQ5 today, I would definitely delete the sunroof option.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Yeah, I was told you'd never find one in dealer inventory minus that roof. You'd have to order it.

I wonder how many people even use it. My wife never opens it and complains that it's 'bleaching her hair', even with the sunshade closed.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to say I like the pano roof to lighten up the interior. I do keep the screen closed for the majority of the year, but since it still allows diffused light I prefer it over a solid cover. My Tiguan also had the diffused screen, but the Passat was the solid cover.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by plat27265
I wish there were a pano / sunroof delete option when I ordered my B8.5 S5. I am not a sun worshipper and I like the increased structural rigidity and weight savings of a solid roof. Right now, I hear a popping sound around the pano roof area every time my vehicle goes into an inclined surface at an angle. This to me means that the ceiling is twisting around the pano roof. I am not sure what long-term negative effects that would create for the pano roof mechanism or seals.

If I were ordering a Q5 or SQ5 today, I would definitely delete the sunroof option.
I second that. The pano-sunroof was the one thing I did not want on my 2017 3.0 but had no choice. Haven't noticed any squeaks or rattles yet; have my fingers crossed that I won't have any issues down the line.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been thinking that it's around 100lbs. There's glass, mechanicals and structure. No doubt they've made it as light as possible but still. They spend millions to engineer 100lbs out of the car and I can do that with a delete option. The dealership got an SQ5 in and I drove it yesterday. Awesome. Gobs of torque. I immediately drove a Q5 afterwards for a fresh comparison. Less awesome but never flat-footed. That 100lb reduction might help just a bit. Possibly more in handling than acceleration.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Yeah, I was told you'd never find one in dealer inventory minus that roof. You'd have to order it.

I wonder how many people even use it. My wife never opens it and complains that it's 'bleaching her hair', even with the sunshade closed.
Q5's with Panoramic roof delete or Premium without it ordered may be found in sunny South Florida, Southern Texas and Southern California.

I found my 2011 without a panoramic roof in CT. At that time many like that in South Florida. I was going to buy there and drive or ship back.

Quick Reply: 2018 Sunroof Delete weight savings