A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Replace C5 2.7 turbo standard shift with...

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace C5 2.7 turbo standard shift with...

Okay, here's my problem. Audi USA thinks that ALL Americans NEED auto transmissions. Me, personally, I'd rather **** glass than drive ANY car with an auto.(Or Flappy paddle) Right now, I have a 2000 2.7t with a six speed manual trans. My question is such: what do I replace it with? I know that this car wont last forever. Even with the best care, some dumb soccer mom will hit me in the *** and total my car. Or, some drug addled thug will roll over me in his Tahoe. Where do I find a high-line, luxury sedan with leather, memory seats, et. al. that has a manual trans?
I have always had full coverage on my car, but there is a break point where-in it becomes UN-efficient. A 20 year old Audi is worth, at best, 3500? I hate the idea, but I have to gear up for replacement. My question is, what do I replace it with?
Old 06-23-2017, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

It's going to be tough.

I could tell you what I'm doing, but then I would have to kill you to keep you from doing the same.

Last edited by georgeb944; 06-23-2017 at 05:35 AM.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:20 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

The answer is always Miata.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

It isn't just Audi. Go to a domestic auto dealer and try to get an American 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton pickup with a manual tranny. On the domestic side of things, the current generation of "muscle cars" are about the only thing available with manual shift.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
The answer is always Miata.
I need a few things Miata doesn't provide. Memory seats, power windows and door locks, a hard roof, four doors, ambient lighting, leather interior, various other accoutrements. Miata for me would be a track day car, and frankly I'd rather have an RX7 for that job. I do love the Miata, though. I have many friends that daily drive them, including some older dudes. CAn you een get a Miata with an auto?
Old 06-23-2017, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Harleyguy
It isn't just Audi. Go to a domestic auto dealer and try to get an American 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton pickup with a manual tranny. On the domestic side of things, the current generation of "muscle cars" are about the only thing available with manual shift.
Yeah. I've been looking there. The problem for me is, they cost every bit as much as a used Audi/BMW/Mercedes but with a standard shift and without a lot of the niceties you get in a hi-line car. Plus, all the American V8 manual cars weigh 4000 lbs or much more. My '00 A6 curb weight is around 3700 lbs. It's not much but I think I'd notice a 300 lb difference in handling, braking, acceleration. I think I'm screwed. Maybe I should give up now and get a Prius.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Or a Smart car? }-)
Old 06-23-2017, 06:12 PM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Joby
I need a few things Miata doesn't provide. Memory seats, power windows and door locks, a hard roof, four doors, ambient lighting, leather interior, various other accoutrements. Miata for me would be a track day car, and frankly I'd rather have an RX7 for that job. I do love the Miata, though. I have many friends that daily drive them, including some older dudes. CAn you een get a Miata with an auto?
LOL. You can get a Miata with auto, unfortunately...and the auto in the newer ones is actually pretty good (same trans as the auto BRZ)
You can also get power windows and door locks...and a power retractable hard top...and leather interior.

I've had a few Miatae (going on 3) and an RX-7. I prefer the Miata. YMMV
Old 06-25-2017, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

If you're willing to skew older, E39 BMW's had manuals on both the 6 and V8 models (but not the V8 wagon version). And values on them bottomed out a few years ago and they're now appreciating. Good examples of the 540i 6-speed, the "Poor man's M5" are getting close to $10k in some markets. I mention values since it might be worth the insurance.

If you're willing to spend more like $20k, I've seen the occasional V8 Manual E60 and E90 5-series BMW's as well, but I don't know anything about those chassis.

I speak as someone who had a 540i six-speed, had it totalled, and not been able to find anything within 500 miles for what my insurance paid out. Now I'm in an Audi 2.7t 6-speed. I will say the A6 beats the BMW on the interior handily.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Flint, I want to move forward and upward. I need a newer car that's better. I really don't want a lateral change. Though a mid size beemer with a manual trans post 2011 if avail does look nice. It's very heavy but what are my options?

Quick Reply: Replace C5 2.7 turbo standard shift with...