S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Need to make a decision on the sport diff...

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 09:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to make a decision on the sport diff...

So my dealer has only this two S4´s available for me and gives me a very good price on both.

S4 Glacier white / Adaptive Shocks + Red Interior + Red Calipers

S4 Glacier white / Sport diff + Black interior + Red Calipers

I prefer the red interior and I also like the adaptive shocks, but don't know if its worth it to trade those two options for the sport diff?

Will the sport diff actually make the car drift a little like a RWD car or will it just make it turn slightly better?

I wonder if the sport diff is as good on the B9 with an updated Quattro system... I don't track the car and I occasionally like to drive aggressively.

Thanks!
JC
Old 06-22-2017, 10:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

If you drive the car like a nut case, or on the track, you will be able to see a difference. For instance, you can do a nice all-wheel drift on a 270 degree cloverleaf on-ramp, if you're into that kind of stuff (sometimes, I am). In normal, even spirited driving - no difference.

Adaptive shocks on the other hand - everyday enjoyment, unless you live in a place with butter smooth roads (i.e., outside the US).
Old 06-23-2017, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Or option 3, order the car exactly as you want it... the only downside is the 3 to 4 month wait (keep in mind the factory shuts down in August for vacation).

If your dealer has a changeable order in right now, you might just squeak in before the shutdown but it is not likely....
Old 06-23-2017, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by heisnuts
Or option 3, order the car exactly as you want it...
That one ^
Old 06-23-2017, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Under normal driving conditions, you will not notice...

... however, under spirited driving, such as the track or in the canyons, the lack of the sport differential is palpable. We have had four S/RS-cars and one S5 did NOT have the sport diff. That was a mistake I will not make again. We kept the car only one year. However, I have only test-drive experience with the new Quattro system, so I can only speculate.

With due respect to the previous comments, I do not consider that to be driving like a nutcase. The non-S versions of the cars are very capable, get better fuel mileage and are available with more exterior and interior color choices. If you are not going to be driving hard in these cars, why go to the S-variant? They are still available with sport suspension options which give them plenty of capacity.

Happy Hunting

Eric
Old 06-23-2017, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by James Cole
Will the sport diff actually make the car drift a little like a RWD car or will it just make it turn slightly better?
It depends what Drive Select mode you're in. In dynamic, yes the tail end will kick out under aggressive power through turns. In comfort mode, no it will just make the car toe the line like it's on rails. (Source: I own an 18 with SD.)

Question, are you not in the United States? I ask because in the US the Sport Package includes adaptive shocks, red calipers, and sport diff. You can't get one any one of those options without the other two, so ust highlighting that in case there is some confusion but if you're outside the US in makes sense.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So my dealer has only this two S4´s available for me and gives me a very good price on both.

I prefer the red interior and I also like the adaptive shocks, but don't know if its worth it to trade those two options for the sport diff?

I wonder if the sport diff is as good on the B9 with an updated Quattro system... I don't track the car and I occasionally like to drive aggressively.

Thanks!
JC
As above, on the US B9 S4 red calipers are bundled into the Sport package that includes the adaptive shocks and sport diff. You must be outside the US. Be thankful for the flexibility!!
Old 06-23-2017, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks!
JC
After reading a bunch of posts on here, unless you plan on taking the car to the limits & not just once in a blue moon, I wouldn't get the SD. Reading what Mark & others have said on here, you have to push this car to the extreme in curves, etc for the SD to even kick in. Most also are keeping the car in sport settings for the suspension because they don't like the feel of the comfort so right there that's 2 systems getting no use. Are red calipers worth $2600 to you?

Originally Posted by eric strauss
... however, under spirited driving, such as the track or in the canyons, the lack of the sport differential is palpable. We have had four S/RS-cars and one S5 did NOT have the sport diff. That was a mistake I will not make again. We kept the car only one year. However, I have only test-drive experience with the new Quattro system, so I can only speculate.

With due respect to the previous comments, I do not consider that to be driving like a nutcase. The non-S versions of the cars are very capable, get better fuel mileage and are available with more exterior and interior color choices. If you are not going to be driving hard in these cars, why go to the S-variant? They are still available with sport suspension options which give them plenty of capacity.

Happy Hunting

Eric
Well, just because you don't drive hard doesn't mean you don't want a bunch of things the S variants offer, like the nice sports seats, the dual exhaust, included options, and especially the V6 & 8 speed transmission.

I mean honestly, do people really even need the power of the 4 turbo...nope...most could get by with their A to B lives with a 100-150 hp car.

Originally Posted by Uncle Buck
On the B9 S4 red calipers are bundled into the Sport package that includes the adaptive shocks and sport diff. I was not aware these two options could be separated.
They cannot be separated, so he's either not in the US or if he is, the dealer has misinformed him.

Last edited by Spartan-S5; 06-23-2017 at 06:21 AM.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Do you have the ability (or permission) from the dealer to take both cars for a LONG test drive?

If you do not want to order a car and wait at least 100+ days due to the "vacation" schedule in Ingolstadt, the LONG test drive (identical) will be helpful, perhaps to determine which version you like the most.

I had an Ibis white with red leather 2014 S4 and I now have a Daytona Gray Pearl with the red leather interior. That would "almost" be enough for me to get that one. If my alternative was one with a black interior, I'd avoid the black at all costs -- but, this is VERY personal. I had a white Acura TL Advance SH-AWD with a black interior and I found the interior to make me feel like I was in a cave (in the daytime, even) and the car ALWAYS look like it needed the interior dusted. I couldn't get rid of the thing fast enough. Again, personal, very personal preference.

Those here who are actually able to "enjoy" the sport diff's benefits make me jealous.

Of course my Acura had the rear sport diff (SH-AWD) and due to our "status" as Audi mavens, our dealer lets us take LONG test drives. I took an S5 with the sport diff for a long test drive. I then took an S4 without it on a LONG test drive (same roads, etc.).

I have a "secret" road I use that has a couple of 90 degree turns for my LONG test drives. The curves are marked 15MPH. Staying in lane, I was able to take the curve in an S4 without sport diff "easily" at 45MPH+. I believe I could've pushed the speed a bit higher -- but, remember this was a public secondary road, with the possibility of other cars on the road. Then, I took the S5 with sport diff on the same road, same conditions (maybe an hour later) and I was able to take it at about 50PMH. I had the sport diff set via the ADS to "dynamic" to achieve this result. Set to comfort, I can't actually say the diff did much.

Part of the problem -- for me, your circumstances may be different -- is that the limits of the S cars are much higher than "normal" cars and that I drive on streets, state roads and highways and moon cratered Interstates. While we don't typically have heavy snow events here in SW Ohio, when we do have such events, salt truck and plows are dispatched to -- effectively -- create new pot holes and enlarge old ones (and I'm speaking mainly of our four interstate highways (I-275, I-471, I-71 and I-75.)

What this means -- in MY circumstances -- is I could rarely engage rear end torque vectoring (which I could see graphically in the Acura); it is my opinion, then, that this holds true for the Audi sport differential (IN MY CIRCUMSTANCES).

Regardless of my poor road circumstances, I would, for $1,100, probably go ahead and get the sport diff because of "ego" reasons, even though I would know, via "logic" reasons, that it would rarely provide much, if any engagement.

I don't have it now -- but the S4 does have brake based "understeer mitigation" standard. I have not, in 2000 miles, ever had any situation where I believe this feature engaged. The reason? I drive on public streets, roads, etc. and even in the Big Town (some call it a small city) of Cincinnati, traffic is a bitch.

So, in MY circumstances, I'd go with the RED LEATHER interior choice -- meaning I'd pass on the sport diff. But, despite folks thinking I am an opponent of the sport diff (I am not, generally speaking), I just don't see it having much value FOR MY CIRCUMSTANCES -- translating into NOT going for the sport package. Frankly, the loss of the ability to cherry pick options was disappointing, because I would have, in a heartbeat, ordered the RED calipers and at $1,100 bucks, I would have ordered the sport diff, even knowing what I know about its provable benefits in MY circumstances, just cause I've always wanted it. Audi took away my "confliction" due to them forcing those who want the sport diff to buy three things at once. I passed.

I guess, at this point, the red interior would trump the sport diff.

As always: Drive it like YOU live!
Old 06-23-2017, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartan-S5
After reading a bunch of posts on here, unless you plan on taking the car to the limits & not just once in a blue moon, I wouldn't get the SD. Reading what Mark & others have said on here, you have to push this car to the extreme in curves, etc for the SD to even kick in. Most also are keeping the car in sport settings for the suspension because they don't like the feel of the comfort so right there that's 2 systems getting no use.
Two points:
  1. Correct, you have to push the car towards limits to notice the SD. (That said, that's largely going to be true of brake torque vectoring or any other understeer mitigation system...to which point I also agree that the SD option is going to be most enjoyed on a track, or by those who like to canyon carve or take esses and empty cloverleafs like a maniac.
  2. For my Individual settings I actually prefer my adaptive suspension in Comfort mode (with steering and sport diff in Auto, and everything else in Dynamic). This may of course change with time as I get used to what is still a brand new car.

Quick Reply: Need to make a decision on the sport diff...