Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Sq5 sport package or not

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 03:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sq5 sport package or not

I'm about to place an order for an SQ5 and just can't decide if the sport package is worth it. I don't really care about the red calipers, but I don't want an uncomfortable ride. What exactly does the air suspension do and why would I want it?
Old 06-23-2017, 03:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It is 100% needed. Mine just arrived last night. It looks amazing and sits nice and low.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Appreciate the feedback but this really doesn't tell me anything other than "I need it". Any idea why I need it?
Old 06-23-2017, 05:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

You need it because it will give you a more compliant ride, particularly on rough or uneven surfaces while still allowing a stiffer ride with excellent handling on flat roads. This is particularly important with the SQ% with its sport-tuned, stiffer suspension and larger wheels. It is a lovely feature that, once you have it, you won't go without.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'm in the same boat however I'm getting the 20" all-weather tires for mountain driving. Does it make sense to get the Sport package and not have summer tires? (I am thinking that it does not.)
Old 06-23-2017, 06:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

How do all the SQ5 Owners without Air like the car? I was thinking of not getting it since it already has adaptive dampers and I do not need the diff or red brake look.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I ordered mine with sports package but wait was getting longer then originally expected like 1 month longer. So took one from lot which didn't have sport package but did have 21 in wheels. Unless ur really into cars and or plan on taking it around many curves then won't make that much difference. Don't get me wrong it's nice to have but not a must. After all we are buying an SUV still. Air suspension for me was just for looks to have it lowered. Does help with handling but I won't loose sleep over it. 3K isn't cheap
Old 06-23-2017, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Air suspension will actually give you the option to have a more comfortable ride verses the standard steel spring suspension, and tighten things up when the road needs a stiffer setting. I have it on my Q7 and while it's not as sporty as the SQ5 I have on order, it gives you options. If you ever check the Q7 forum, you'll see that the air suspension is highly preferred over the steel stock setup. The steel springs have to be a compromise between comfort and sport since they can't be both. Haven't had any experience with the sport diff, but just the air suspension is worth the price imho.

Last edited by chingwodapigu; 06-23-2017 at 07:41 AM.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

I have test-driven the new SQ5 with and without air suspension. I'd say the sport package is worth it for the air suspension alone. Not only is the ride nicer and has far more discernable adjustability than the regular non-air suspension's adjustable damping, I really like how the car looks when the air suspension height is set at its lowest point. A nice sporty hunkered down look. Also, I can see how the added height adjustability could be useful when max height is needed for the rare off-road excursion or flooded road one might encounter when the zombie apocalypse or end of the world arrives.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Kjdsider
How do all the SQ5 Owners without Air like the car? I was thinking of not getting it since it already has adaptive dampers and I do not need the diff or red brake look.
It's fine. The ride comfort is better than the MKI SQ5, if that's helpful.

Quick Reply: Sq5 sport package or not