S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Picked up my S4 today - and a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 11:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picked up my S4 today - and a few questions

Fun car to drive, now I can relate directly to what Mark talks about when I read his posts

Prestige / Ibis / Magma / Sport Package / DAP / Carbon Atlas / 19'

A few questions

a) No automatic trunk close button??? A real downer at this price point

b) Is it me or is ambient lighting weak sauce compared to a 2017 Q7? At max brightness it looks like it's hardly lit up

Old 06-25-2017, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have not taken delivery of my S4 so I cannot comment from experience but my thoughts are you two questions:

In the class of car, it is uncommon for the vehicle to have a powered trunk close option. It is usually for vehicles with a hatch or tailgate. Perhaps it is on the S5 SB.

For the interior lighting, are you referring to the amount of light sources or intensity of the existing? The Q7 is higher on the price scale and typically would have more luxury appointments including interior lighting. The S4 is a performance variant of a base vehicle starting at an MSRP $35k vs. (almost) $50k for the Q7. The Q7 is simply going to have more content.

BTW, congrats on taking delivery of your S4. Now you can update your signature from "waiting for" to "Driving".
Old 06-25-2017, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Apparently you did not listen to Mark too closely since you opted for the 19"wheels (just kidding)...

Congratulations on the new car. That really looks awesome.

Given the price point of the car, I am not surprised it does not come with a power close for the trunk. The lid is pretty small compared to the hatch and really easy to close. You probably already know it does have a foot operated open feature (kicking your foot under the center of the rear bumper with your fob in your pocket and the car locked will open the trunk).

Since you have a prestige package, you can change the color of the lighting inside the car. My guess is the appearance of light will be different depending on the shade of color you choose for the interior lighting. I haven't checked on the placement yet, but I am sure there is also a dimmer setting that allows you to set the dimming adjustment for the interior lights as well.

Again, congratulations on the new car. It really looks nice. How long did the ordering process take in your case?
Old 06-25-2017, 08:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I did order the 18s but the first dealer I ordered with messed up the process in every possible way and wound up getting me a car built without DAP. The only car matching the colors and packages we ordered was at another dealer but they had 19s, and I had waited too long to submit an order again. So I picked up the 19s. For what it's worth I can't feel a huge ride penalty.

There is a dimmer switch but it's pretty horrible. This is at max brightness 😐. My comparison here is my 2017 Q7 Prestige which has maybe close to 500% more brightness.

Anyway the trunk close button is something I have gotten used to since 2009 so it's hard living without. Too bad the manual shows it and does not make any exclusions.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

I agree there isn't a huge ride penalty over the 18s. I went with 19s after having test drove both--I would say the 19s on adaptive suspension in Comfort mode feel about the same as the 18s feel on non-adaptive.

I've never been in a Q7 and can't comment, but I have the Prestige S4 and can confirm that some colors interior lighting colors "look" brighter than others (I suspect they are all pretty close to the same brightness at a given dimmer setting by measure of lumens, but the human eye detects some colors much more readily than others and so some objectively will "pop" more).

I'm not really sure I'd want to go much brighter than what the S4 offers for max brightness -- 500% brighter for example seems it'd be borderline dangerous/distracting when driving at night -- but I do run mine at close to max brightness (except for the footwells which are set quite subtle).
Old 06-25-2017, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Personally I think the 18's are fugly. I'd get the 19's even if it meant a performance hit, or possibly get the 18's and immediately go aftermarket.

Can I ask what type of discount you got at Palo Alto, and if you had a real good SA maybe PM me his name. Thx.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

I think I test drove your car (presuming it was the one that was just sitting on the lot, not a custom order)

Congratulations!
Old 06-25-2017, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Are you just using the dimmer switch on the left of the console? If so, that doesn't do as much as going into the menu and changing it there. Also, different colors seem brighter than others. I think it's pretty bright. Any higher and it would be dangerous for night time driving.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
I agree there isn't a huge ride penalty over the 18s. I went with 19s after having test drove both--I would say the 19s on adaptive suspension in Comfort mode feel about the same as the 18s feel on non-adaptive.
So, does the S4 without the adaptive suspension just have the same S-line sport suspension from the A4 package or is it slightly different/stiffer?

I remember reading something that when you get the AS, the ride height isn't as low as the sport suspension (it's a tiny big higher up)

Last edited by Spartan-S5; 06-25-2017 at 07:07 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Lawgone
Are you just using the dimmer switch on the left of the console? If so, that doesn't do as much as going into the menu and changing it there. Also, different colors seem brighter than others. I think it's pretty bright. Any higher and it would be dangerous for night time driving.
Well I tried that, but no I am using the controls from MMI

Not saying I want it lit up like a rave, but compared to my Q7 it seems anemic. That is pretty much it.

Quick Reply: Picked up my S4 today - and a few questions