S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

My dilemma! S4 or RS3?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My dilemma! S4 or RS3?

My E92 335i has become a money pit so it's time to replace it. I won't be getting another BMW simply because it's not that mine was so unreliable, but BMW's total disregard to do anything about the issues. Even the ones due to a recall.

I've tested a whole bunch - S4, S6, S3, E43, C43, Macan, CTS V-Sport, Infiniti Q60 red sport, Jag XE. Macan is supposed to the the SUV that drives like a sports car, but it drove like a truck. V-Sport with mag ride actually is the best handling, best ride of everything I've tried, but to get the options I would want I have to pay an additional $10k more for packages I don't want and it becomes more expensive than an S6, and that's too much for a rapidly depreciating Cadillac. The MB's are nice, but just not drivers cars, and the shifter on the stalk just kills it for me. The Q60 is the 1st good looking Infiniti in forever, can get a big discount, but just didn't have the refinement of the Germans. Basically the same can be said for the Jag.

Obviously I haven't been able to test drive an RS3, but I liked everything about the S3 but the buzzy 4 cylinder. I think the RS3 would be everything I want. Now that the configurator is up on audiusa it actually specs out less than $100 difference from an S4 specd the way I would buy it.

AS I'm sure most people already know though, when can I even get an RS3? And, even if I can get one in less than a year I'm not going to be getting any discounts. That's going to make the S4 probably 7-8% less than and RS3 with the ACNA discount. The S4 is also more luxurious and has as a few additional features the RS3 doesn't.

Also, I like the styling of the S5 sportback a bit better, but can't justify $3k more for basically the same thing. Still undecided, but I'm leaning towards the S4 unless someone can give me some compelling reasons to get an RS3? I would imagine in a year I can get a tune for the S4 that will make it as fast as the RS3 anyway.

And while I'm asking Q's. Does anyone know what the extended vent across the dash on the passenger side of the S4 is for? On my test drive we couldn't get any air to come out of it and my SA didn't know the answer.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm biased because my B9 S4 arrives next week, but for me personally I've always been partial to Torsen-based quattro (the engine mounted longitudinally). I like how the quattro favors the rear with a 60/40 split so I get that almost RWD feel but still have the stability of AWD. With Haldex (horizontal mount) quattro - it just feels like it's FWD with the rear kicking in when needed. I can't speak for the 5 cylinder RS3, but that's just my opinion with the A3/S3 haldex quattros in general. Again, just my opinion
Old 06-25-2017, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Here you go:

RS3 is a bit faster and much more fun to drive but there are a lot of downfalls in my opinion:

-Cramped (im 6'2)
-Terrible non supportive seats (same as S3)
-Not as great audio as A4 considering b&o both
-Haldex with 255 front and 235 rear YES thats right it is like that to make it more tail happy, but I must say it does not look odd since its hard to notice skinnier tires on the rear for some reason.
-Lesser quality interior

Thats just me... but you should make the final decision!
Old 06-25-2017, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Are you going to track the car? Do you strongly prefer the (R)S3's subcompact size and do not mind its vestigial back seats? If neither applies, I would get the S4 for sure.
  • You can only fit ONE checked-size suitcase in the trunk of the RS3.
  • The S4 you can legit fit 3-4 ski bags in with the rear seats folded down.
  • The S4 has "true" quattro -- a mechanical torsen system and not clutch-based haldex -- which many who experience harsh winters prefer.
  • The S4 as you mentioned is a true step up in luxury and interior quality/appointments.
  • The S4 is smooth as hell for city driving. (The DCT cars are still good but a lot less refined.)
  • You can actually transport 4 fully grown adults in an S4...5 in a pinch. The RS3's practical limit is, I'm sorry to say, going to be 2 adults and 2 children.
  • Far better stereo in S4.

Now if you're tracking the car, the RS3 is going to provide a much more raw and inviting track-day experience esp. if you spec the "dynamic plus" pkg (which I would not do on a daily driver or even a weekend car unless track days will truly be a regular thing for you). You're going to need to dump more than just a tune into an S4 to get it to the same level of nasty: suspension upgrades, brakes, and chassis bracing will likely all be needed to add the missing "R" element.

To your last question that long vent is functional. It runs air through a "disbursement membrane" and its purpose is to help regulate cabin temps/humidity without having it have to blow directly on your face. When open it pushes 20% of the air volume as the rest of the vents, aka not much at all. It can be opened or closed using the HVAC controls (same button that sets 3-zone vs synced). As a test, mechanically close every vent using the open/close wheels, then set fan speed to full, and then use that 3-zone control button to open or close the wide vent...you will hear the difference and can notice airflow difference with your hand alone (though it will still be quite subtle). How useful this is in practice remains to be seen I guess.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Good points everyone. There's a few more reasons to get the S4 I didn't even think of. I don't plan on tracking it, just spirited driving when I get the chance, which is limited due to traffic. If I track anything I'll be my bike, and I don't even track it.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:42 PM
aj6
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I came from a tuned A3 to an S4. I agree with James and mplsbrian regarding the pros and cons exactly. If you're a smaller person the A3 is a lot more manageable, but I'm 6'3" and two years was enough to make me want a bigger car.

Nothing wrong with an RS3 though, it's astoundingly great for what it is. I'd only buy it over an S4 if I were considering track time though, the larger model has so much more going for it for everyday life.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

I just ordered an S4 after similar debate. In the end the slightly bigger size and vastly better interior brought me over.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I like the compactness of the S3, and love the yellow exterior. But alas, carseats in that nonexistent back seat area would need to defy the laws of physics.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by James Cole
Here you go:

RS3 is a bit faster and much more fun to drive but there are a lot of downfalls in my opinion:

-Cramped (im 6'2)
-Terrible non supportive seats (same as S3)
-Not as great audio as A4 considering b&o both
-Haldex with 255 front and 235 rear YES thats right it is like that to make it more tail happy, but I must say it does not look odd since its hard to notice skinnier tires on the rear for some reason.
-Lesser quality interior

Thats just me... but you should make the final decision!
Concur with all of these (+1)

The bump in performance comes at a cost against several other areas that are simply too important to overlook.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Sam Giancana
My E92 335i has become a money pit so it's time to replace it. I won't be getting another BMW simply because it's not that mine was so unreliable, but BMW's total disregard to do anything about the issues. Even the ones due to a recall.

I've tested a whole bunch - S4, S6, S3, E43, C43, Macan, CTS V-Sport, Infiniti Q60 red sport, Jag XE. Macan is supposed to the the SUV that drives like a sports car, but it drove like a truck. V-Sport with mag ride actually is the best handling, best ride of everything I've tried, but to get the options I would want I have to pay an additional $10k more for packages I don't want and it becomes more expensive than an S6, and that's too much for a rapidly depreciating Cadillac. The MB's are nice, but just not drivers cars, and the shifter on the stalk just kills it for me. The Q60 is the 1st good looking Infiniti in forever, can get a big discount, but just didn't have the refinement of the Germans. Basically the same can be said for the Jag.

Obviously I haven't been able to test drive an RS3, but I liked everything about the S3 but the buzzy 4 cylinder. I think the RS3 would be everything I want. Now that the configurator is up on audiusa it actually specs out less than $100 difference from an S4 specd the way I would buy it.

AS I'm sure most people already know though, when can I even get an RS3? And, even if I can get one in less than a year I'm not going to be getting any discounts. That's going to make the S4 probably 7-8% less than and RS3 with the ACNA discount. The S4 is also more luxurious and has as a few additional features the RS3 doesn't.

Also, I like the styling of the S5 sportback a bit better, but can't justify $3k more for basically the same thing. Still undecided, but I'm leaning towards the S4 unless someone can give me some compelling reasons to get an RS3? I would imagine in a year I can get a tune for the S4 that will make it as fast as the RS3 anyway.

And while I'm asking Q's. Does anyone know what the extended vent across the dash on the passenger side of the S4 is for? On my test drive we couldn't get any air to come out of it and my SA didn't know the answer.
So I was sorta cross shopping an S3 last year (yes I know you are looking at an RS3) and earlier this year was looking at the S5 sportback, but after seeing the S4 & S5 together at the NY Auto Show I thought the S4 looked more aggressive and honestly that the S5 sportback looked like my dad's Kia Optima or a Ford Fusion.

You are correct you are paying a premium for an S5 sportback which is almost identical to an S4. But with the S4 you get the B&O stereo included plus some other features they charge extra for in the S5 sportback.

As for the RS3 vs S4, I'd go the S4. The S4 is just a superior car/platform where the RS3 is still with the slightly older but still new S3. The A4 is their bread & butter, like the F-150 for Ford so they put their best foot forward on the A4 & it's new design/platform. Add in the S4 to it and it's just a great/amazing car.

You get just so much more in the S4. The seats/interior are hands down vastly superior in quality/looks then the RS3. The car is bigger and is more refined. The RS3 still is a cramped car and still looks like they squished it in the design while the S4 looks aggressive/has a much nicer stance. The only thing I like about the S3/RS3 is the screen that drops down.

The RS3 has the 5 cylinder & 7 speed S-tronic while the S4 gets the 6 cylinder and 8 speed triptronic & the reviews on the S4 and this transmission/engine have been stellar.

Also like you said you aren't getting the RS3 for a while & you sure won't be getting a discount, in fact you'll probably be getting a mark-up.

Also in regards to the S5SB vs S4, I was at a dealer this weekend and ran across a couple cross shopping and S5SB and saw them test drive it and then while waiting started looking at an S4. I asked him if they were considering the S4 possibly & the S5SB & they were and I brought up a bunch of the points about the S5SB being the S4 just with a different design & a few other minor differences and when you add it all up, you'll paying a premium for a S5SB which other then looks isn't giving you much over the S4 and in fact is charging you a premium for a few things, they actually went to the salesperson and took out and S4 because they didn't realize it was that similar..

In the end go with the S4 over the S5SB and then over the RS3.

Last edited by Spartan-S5; 06-25-2017 at 11:18 PM.

Quick Reply: My dilemma! S4 or RS3?