Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Sport Suspension VS ADS in S5

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport Suspension VS ADS in S5

Hey Guys. I need to make this choice for my S5 SB. Because I'm located in Canada, there is no one package for dynamic steering, sport Diff and ADS. They're all separate. I will get the first two for sure. But unsure about the ADS.
The reason being I really don't like Audi virtual cockpit, because I feel electronic gauges are less appealing. I know a lot of folks love it, and it is just me. The non-virtual cockpit instrumental cluster still has a large LED screen for navigation display(same size as current A7).
Now the difficult part really starts, in order to avoid virtual cockpit, I have to avoid Technik trim( like Prestige in U.S.) and ADS is only available in Technik.
So I have to forgo ADS if I want traditional gauges. Is it worth it? Well, that's why I posted this thread.... do you guys think ADS really helps for road conditions in Toronto Area ? I will put it in Dynamic most of time. But if I forgo the ADS. How is the sport Suspension feels in bad road?
One extra objective question
Is sport Suspension stiffer or ADS in dynamic setting stiffer?
Old 06-26-2017, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Would like to know as well...
Old 06-26-2017, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

ADS = Audi Drive Select, so assume you are asking about adaptive suspension.

Adaptive suspension, in the S sport version fitted to the S5, is stiffer in Dynamic mode than the fixed suspension. This is not particularly noticeable on the straight ahead, but is very noticeable in cornering. The adaptive dampers (which are continuously adjustable no matter what mode they are set to) provide better roll resistance without a bone jarring ride. Of course, they can on occasion be caught out when cornering fairly hard and encountering a crater mid corner - that will thump pretty hard in Dynamic.

I understand your thoughts on VC, I think real gauges look better too than these Nintendo screens. But frankly, it is not that big a deal. It may not be relevant to your situation, but lacking the VC might have an effect on re-sale.

I also think Sport diff, adaptive suspension, and Dynamic steering get the most out of the chassis - if I was going to drop one of them, it would be Dynamic steering.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Glisse
ADS = Audi Drive Select, so assume you are asking about adaptive suspension.

Adaptive suspension, in the S sport version fitted to the S5, is stiffer in Dynamic mode than the fixed suspension. This is not particularly noticeable on the straight ahead, but is very noticeable in cornering. The adaptive dampers (which are continuously adjustable no matter what mode they are set to) provide better roll resistance without a bone jarring ride. Of course, they can on occasion be caught out when cornering fairly hard and encountering a crater mid corner - that will thump pretty hard in Dynamic.

I understand your thoughts on VC, I think real gauges look better too than these Nintendo screens. But frankly, it is not that big a deal. It may not be relevant to your situation, but lacking the VC might have an effect on re-sale.

I also think Sport diff, adaptive suspension, and Dynamic steering get the most out of the chassis - if I was going to drop one of them, it would be Dynamic steering.
Thank you for your reply , but is it not adaptive damping Suspension also a "ADS" lol.
This really is a tough decision.... is adaptive Suspension something you can work with/add on aftermarket?
Old 06-26-2017, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For what it's worth, I'm in Toronto and pretty happy that I can switch to comfort mode in the city a lot of the times. Smooths out the bumps significantly and you're not going to be doing much aggressive driving with the state of our traffic. We don't have the best kept roads either.

Agree with Glisse on the dynamic steering being the one to drop. I think that's probably the most popular answer on that system based on what I have read. More against than for it.

VC is a cool, uneeded, gimmic but I have to admit it's grown on me a lot. I do like Android Auto when it's not dropping the connection so having things in the main display still can be useful.

One option that I thought I'd hate but now love is the heads up display and traffic sign detection which you can't get with progressive either. But that's not reason enough alone to bump to Technik.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mmorais
For what it's worth, I'm in Toronto and pretty happy that I can switch to comfort mode in the city a lot of the times. Smooths out the bumps significantly and you're not going to be doing much aggressive driving with the state of our traffic. We don't have the best kept roads either.

Agree with Glisse on the dynamic steering being the one to drop. I think that's probably the most popular answer on that system based on what I have read. More against than for it.

VC is a cool, uneeded, gimmic but I have to admit it's grown on me a lot. I do like Android Auto when it's not dropping the connection so having things in the main display still can be useful.

One option that I thought I'd hate but now love is the heads up display and traffic sign detection which you can't get with progressive either. But that's not reason enough alone to bump to Technik.
MM... how do you like the sport differential on city driving?
Old 06-26-2017, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by James Cole
MM... how do you like the sport differential on city driving?
Well I came from a 2010 Ford Flex so i have to say "I love it!".

Honestly, Toronto traffic is so bad that it's stop and go much of the time. I'm sure it's doing a bang up job as I slowly turn corners with all of the other sheeple. When I'm able to actually drive I have zero complaints.

I more notice the transmission in D being slow at first. Find myself more and more in S mode.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Sealsx090
Hey Guys. I need to make this choice for my S5 SB. Because I'm located in Canada, there is no one package for dynamic steering, sport Diff and ADS. They're all separate. I will get the first two for sure. But unsure about the ADS.
The reason being I really don't like Audi virtual cockpit, because I feel electronic gauges are less appealing. I know a lot of folks love it, and it is just me. The non-virtual cockpit instrumental cluster still has a large LED screen for navigation display(same size as current A7).
Now the difficult part really starts, in order to avoid virtual cockpit, I have to avoid Technik trim( like Prestige in U.S.) and ADS is only available in Technik.
So I have to forgo ADS if I want traditional gauges. Is it worth it? Well, that's why I posted this thread.... do you guys think ADS really helps for road conditions in Toronto Area ? I will put it in Dynamic most of time. But if I forgo the ADS. How is the sport Suspension feels in bad road?
One extra objective question
Is sport Suspension stiffer or ADS in dynamic setting stiffer?
If you have concerns about forgoing the adaptive dampers because of ride quality, then go with the 18" wheels in the Progressiv package.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Sealsx090
Thank you for your reply , but is it not adaptive damping Suspension also a "ADS" lol.
This really is a tough decision.... is adaptive Suspension something you can work with/add on aftermarket?
The system is tightly integrated using sensors feeding to the central chassis ECU, so an aftermarket alternative would not be the same. The up charge by Audi for the option appears to be just the additional cost of CDC dampers (made by ZF Sachs) over fixed dampers. To buy an equivalent system aftermarket would not be cost effective.

The Audi Technology site has a decent animation showing how the system integrates:
https://www.audi-technology-portal.d...damper-control

Best to try and drive the two different suspension types over your local roads, if at all possible. You might find the fixed suspension is okay for you, or you might decide it is worth putting up with the VC to get adaptive suspension.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by mmorais

I more notice the transmission in D being slow at first. Find myself more and more in S mode.
I find it more pleasant to start off in S mode, and switch to D once up to speed if I want to calm it down a bit. Otherwise it is slow to respond, as you said.

Quick Reply: Sport Suspension VS ADS in S5