TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

TT instead of TTS - do you regret it? Or are you happy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 10:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default TT instead of TTS - do you regret it? Or are you happy?

So I ordered the the TT instead of TTS. It's coming in a couple of months. But I'm curious for TT owners if you ever regretted not upgrading / going up to a TTS?

When I ordered the TT, I rationalized the TT as follows:
- Higher ground clearance by 10mm. Good for snow etc. I live in Canada.
- Softer ride, better for bumpy roads
- Better looking 19" wheel option than the option available for TTS
- Cleaner lines
- Ability to take regular gas instead of premium gas if oil prices go up
- Slightly better fuel consumption
- Better to drive the TT instead of TTS as a daily driver to work and back (excessive noise and speed)? I do about 30km/day for my daily commute.
- Save ~$10K

But the faster and more powerful engine of the TTS intrigues me.
Now I wonder if I should have just gone for the TTS.

Any thoughts from current TT owners? Did you ever regret not going for a TTS? Or you guys are happy?
Old 06-27-2017, 02:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im a TTs owner- just wanted to point out a few things in regards to your statements:

- Higher ground clearance by 10mm. Good for snow etc. I live in Canada.
tts with the optional 20' wheels sit pretty damn high imo! I live in NYC and we have snow in winters ( of course lol ) and its not an issue. imo the 10mm clearance will not make much of a difference if the snow is that high. better to leave the car home

- Softer ride, better for bumpy roads
the mag ride in comfort road is pretty soft. never an issue when riding on bumpy roads

- Better looking 19" wheel option than the option available for TTS
this is all preference so no comment, but wheels can always be changed

- Cleaner lines
not sure how this is true as both cars have the same body, except the bumpers. the tts bumper is more proportional with the lower grille vents, so imo that's cleaner

- Ability to take regular gas instead of premium gas if oil prices go up
you should not be using regular gas on ANY of the newer audis, even if its just a TT, I always used premium on my cars, be it the a5, s5, r8, or tts

- Slightly better fuel consumption
both cars are 2.0 and are very similar. it depends how hard you drive the car.

- Better to drive the TT instead of TTS as a daily driver to work and back (excessive noise and speed)? I do about 30km/day for my daily commute.
both the TT and TTS sounds very, very similar. they are both QUIET. if anything, you can turn off the fake engine noise in the settings.

- Save ~$10K
cant argue about saving money, but knowing enthusiast who buys the "lesser" model, they always end up spending money on mods to make it as fast as the next model. I know someone who bought a TT because It was cheaper. he ending up spending additional $$$ to make it as fast as a TTs. he basically did the APR stage 2+, which swapped the TTS turbo in the TT. when I had my a5, I spent so much money to make it look and perform like an s5, and beyond its in our nature.

not trying to down talk TT owners at all, but I feel owners who doesn't have the top model, will always try to justify their purchase, which isn't a bad thing, and that includes me. when the TTRS came out, I kept telling myself, oh I don't need the ttrs, its not worth it. blah blah blah. but honestly, I love the car, and I would take the TTRS over my tts in a heart beat if money was no issue

at the end of the day, it depends what u want out of the car. I know I wouldn't be happy with a TT so I went with the S. if I got a TT, I woulda spend so much money trying to make it faster, look like a TTs/rs, etc. if you just want a car you can enjoy out of the box and don't care about speed, the TT is great.

Last edited by Bknewtype; 06-27-2017 at 03:09 AM.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

BKnewtype hit all the points the way I would have, except maybe I don't think either the TT or TTS look like a truck at stock ride height.

In truth I only occasionally use the add'l performance of my TTS. The TT would have been sufficient, but those occasions are sublime. I've been down the modding road (A5 and some other makes), to include tuning, and didn't want to do that again so the TTS in that respect was the better choice for me. I know I would have spent the delta modding a TT to be "almost like a TTS." Having said that I've already gone with several 034 intake and CF dress up parts and am investigating exhausts!

We all have our limits and I couldn't justify the TTRS, so similar comparative thought process (but I have had to fight off a knee jerk call to my dealer!). And I still rationalize not getting a Cayman (TT the better year 'round car, yada yada...).

On the plus side you can't go wrong with either/any Audi model. The interior design, materials, fit & finish are top notch and since you spend most of your time in the car that's a very good thing! And Quattro really is as good as the hype, even if some would denounce the Haldex as not a true AWD.

The bottom line is that if you think you will regret not getting the TTS then do so. Life is short and in the grand scheme the delta is not worth the ensuing consternation.

Last edited by Huey52; 06-27-2017 at 03:13 AM.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

hahah! it seriously looks like a truck man! I could stick my whole head under there with no issues!

but yea, problem is im so used to having low and loud cars, which both the TT lacks stock. im super happy with my current stance ( and will be lower once I put them 19s on! ) and now the car just sound amazing, like a real sports car

i always thought of it like this:

if im sitting in a TT at a stop light, and a TTS rolls up next to you, you will probably say "damn i shoulda gotten a TTS". im sure the TTS owner wouldn't say "damn i shoulda gotten a TT". but instead he will look to his other side and say " damn i shoulda gotten the TTRS".

Old 06-27-2017, 03:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Just this past weekend I had a rare occurrence of rolling up at a stoplight behind a top-down MkI TT Roadster. I caught myself thinking .... "I should have gotten the roadster with Palomino interior." LOL, we can't win!!

Originally Posted by Bknewtype
if im sitting in a TT at a stop light, and a TTS rolls up next to you, you will probably say "damn i shoulda gotten a TTS". im sure the TTS owner wouldn't say "damn i shoulda gotten a TT". but instead he will look to his other side and say " damn i shoulda gotten the TTRS".
Old 06-27-2017, 03:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Haha yup!

Honestly there isnt anything out there that makes me regret my purchase. Im not a fan of porsches or m cars which is plagued in my neighborhood so im never jealous. Think the only car i would switch the tts for would be a pre owned rs5. I love that car.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yep, the inaugural A5/S5/RS5 body lines are Audi's best ever (but 2nd gen not as nice imho).

I guess we've given cooleddie more than he wanted to think about.

Originally Posted by Bknewtype
Haha yup!
Honestly there isnt anything out there that makes me regret my purchase. Im not a fan of porsches or m cars which is plagued in my neighborhood so im never jealous. Think the only car i would switch the tts for would be a pre owned rs5. I love that car.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Huey52
Yep, the inaugural A5/S5/RS5 body lines are Audi's best ever (but 2nd gen not as nice imho).

I guess we've given cooleddie more than he wanted to think about.
if you ask anyone on audizine, they will tell u im the biggest b8.5 hater. I love the b8 5. such a beautiful body and gorgeous lines. not sure if you noticed, but the tts has similar hood lines as the b8, where the lines from the back of the car goes all the way down the hood and down onto the grille. makes it look so menacing. its one thing the 8.5 and other audis lack. I think that's my fav part of the car

haha, well, we are just reinforcing that the tt is such a gorgeous car!
Old 06-27-2017, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gen 1 A5/S5/RS5 is definitely one of Audi's best designs ever. Still turns my head. New one...meh. Although the S5 Sport Back is slightly less ugly.

Also very tempted by the TT-RS, but all I have to do is drive the TTS and the sublime experience washes those urges away. The incredibly useful and practical acceleration/shift ratios, and effortless passing or on-ramp negotiations never gets old and makes the TTS a very versatile and capable daily driver.

IMHO, if I had gone for the base TT, I would be more tempted by the TT-RS. The TTS just strikes the perfect balance for me.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, as a guy who just picked up a TT, and plans on modding it since I track the car about 5-6 times a year, I used this logic:
1. I have two kids in college. Better to save for something and get it then have the monthly extra burden
2. I enjoy adding things to the car
3. I enjoy having the car change every once in a while
4. I got the TT with plans to do a BBK and chip and probably suspension, which gives me what I want at the track, for $5k.
5. I also got the TT as a leftover '16 and for $41k, with MSRP of $51k.
6. I have a modded A3, drove the S3, etc... so I know what I was getting into.

And right went I got it, I was the '17 had Android Auto! and Wireless Charging! And the new s-line fixed rear wing looks sweet! So as other folks said, there's always something newer and better and faster.

Quick Reply: TT instead of TTS - do you regret it? Or are you happy?