A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

When is being picky too picky?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts
Default When is being picky too picky?

I got my car back from service to replace the wiring for my Navigation and Satellite radio. When I dropped the car off, I expressed my concern to the service advisor about the headliner being removed. His comment to me was: "You'll never know we touched it!" I guess he didn't know with whom he was dealing.

First, when I got in the car I turned around and immediately spotted some threads sticking out of the headliner. Second, I noticed that in one spot at least, the headliner didn't seem to line up 100 percent. And third, I noticed several areas in the car that had dirt from shoes and dirty hands, including several smudges on the headliner.

Now, I know I'm being ****, and none of this would bother 90 percent of drivers on the road. So, am I being too picky to complain about these things?

I am reluctant to complain to the dealership, because the service advisor is a real nice guy and is very courteous, friendly and professional in every way. It is not his fault that these things happened. So I guess I will just try to clean up things on my own and not say anything. I guess it's expecting too much to expect a supervisor to go over my car with a white glove after service.

Old 06-27-2017, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nope, I'd ask them to fix the headliner if they can. As for the feet print, just take a damp cloth over that and wipe it off.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

This would aggravate the hell out of me. And something like this actually happened, I had to have the moonroof tracks replaced at 15k miles on my '14 fully loaded Accord Coupe. The arm rest on the drivers side came off the first time I attempted to use it, dirt and grease marks along the sides of the gray headliner, and after I brought it back to be fixed, where there were once grease/dirt stains, there were water marks. Ended up going through Honda Corporate and the best they would do was a $500 gift card for service and refused to replace it, cited it would never be the same fit. When I got the card there was only $250 on it and they flat out denied ever agreeing on $500 for service. The moonroof broke again a month later and I decided to just get rid of the car and swear off Honda for the worst service I've ever received.

What really sucked is that it was the first brand new car I had ever purchased, and I took immense pride in it, including hand washing it and keeping it meticulous at all times. Planned on driving it into the ground given my previous experiences with Honda, but they lost a customer for life. Bright side: due to a promotion at work I'm now able to take delivery of a fully loaded A4 brand new 2018 when it arrives in August!
Old 06-27-2017, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You posted here. Enough said. Go back to the dealer.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are not being too picky at all IMO, you paid good money for the car and you expect it to be in the same shape or better (vacuum and wash) than you left it. I'd take it back and make them do it right. When I bought my car, there were some very minor scratches on the right head light and I made them replace the entire light for me... and they did, true story.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I echo what the other guys said above. The dealership needs to address these issues. Sadly, most dealerships employ staff that are not meticulous and lack attention to detail. Liking your SA a lot does not matter if the rest of the staff (including the SA) does not pay attention to the details and respect the customers' vehicles.

When I was SA at a Toyota dealership years ago, I was also tasked to ensure that the car is handed over to the customer the same way it did before it went into the service department. Now, if it were dirty, we had it cleaned up by the detail crew unless the customer specifically asks us not to touch his or her dirty car. But, if we happen to find any damage due to inappropriate and shabby workmanship, we had to inform the customer and rectify the matter immediately. If parts need to be brought in to replace the damaged piece, we inform the customer that we will fix it but he or she will need to bring it back when the replacement part is available. This was a Toyota dealership. An Audi dealership is expected to provide a higher level of service.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:23 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just like me, I would go right back, and show them politely what happened.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dave788
This would aggravate the hell out of me. And something like this actually happened, I had to have the moonroof tracks replaced at 15k miles on my '14 fully loaded Accord Coupe. The arm rest on the drivers side came off the first time I attempted to use it, dirt and grease marks along the sides of the gray headliner, and after I brought it back to be fixed, where there were once grease/dirt stains, there were water marks. Ended up going through Honda Corporate and the best they would do was a $500 gift card for service and refused to replace it, cited it would never be the same fit. When I got the card there was only $250 on it and they flat out denied ever agreeing on $500 for service. The moonroof broke again a month later and I decided to just get rid of the car and swear off Honda for the worst service I've ever received.

What really sucked is that it was the first brand new car I had ever purchased, and I took immense pride in it, including hand washing it and keeping it meticulous at all times. Planned on driving it into the ground given my previous experiences with Honda, but they lost a customer for life. Bright side: due to a promotion at work I'm now able to take delivery of a fully loaded A4 brand new 2018 when it arrives in August!
Dave

Looks like it all worked out in the end but at the time it must have sucked. Welcome to the Audi world!

Originally Posted by Allroading17
Just like me, I would go right back, and show them politely what happened.
Yes, I think this is the most important thing. You get more with sugar than you do with vinegar. When people demand it tends to shut people down and they are unwilling to help. I'm sure most of us work with customers in one manner or another so there are times to be harsh and times to be nice.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:27 PM
vgt
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd go back immediately. If the Service Advisor is as you say he is, he'll bend over backwards to have it rectified.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

I agree. Not too picky at all re: the headliner. It should be perfect.

Quick Reply: When is being picky too picky?