Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

S3 vs RS3

Old 07-03-2017, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default S3 vs RS3

I've been researching Audi models S3 & RS3 over the past year. I finally made the decision to go with an S3 - that said I fully expect you soon to be RS3 owners to wave to me as you blow by me on the highway. I want to explain the reasons why I choose an S3.

Financial
Of the dealerships in the area - the most willing to give deals on either S or RS was asking for $10K+ over sticker on any RS3 model that was incoming to their dealership. Granted you could order a RS3 and just pay sticker, and wait until late 2018 for a 2019 model. Ugh.

However, on an S3 I could get 10% off of sticker for a soon to be outgoing 2017 model. I

Stock Performance
S3 - 292 HP / 280 Torque 0-60 4.7 seconds
RS3 - 400 HP/ 354 Torque0-60 3.9 seconds
The RS3 is clearly the performer of the two, but how does that translate to real world driving in MPG and performance? I do not plan on taking my car to the track so the occasional 0-60 is important. I would say both are a wash on gas mileage.

Interestingly, I did test drive an 2018 S4 and was pretty disappointed with the lack of "feel" - it was like a big boat where everything was too smooth even in the sport modes.

TL;DR
I purchased an S3 because it was quick enough and was the better deal due to supply/demand in full affect on the RS3. I probably should have ordered one months ago. For all those that have - I'll be looking for you around attentively!

Questions for the Community:
Top Mods for S3?
The stock tires on the black optics dynamic package are awful IMO - recommendations on replacements and winter packages?
Taking delivery - after a very nice dealership
Old 07-03-2017, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll be very happy with the S3, especially given your reaction to the S4.

The RS3 is just stupid mean, but that doesn't make the S3 any less respectable. Sounds like you made the right choice.

That said, wave as I zoom past you on the interstate. ;-)
Old 07-03-2017, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by chicago_marketing
I've been researching Audi models S3 & RS3 over the past year. I finally made the decision to go with an S3 - that said I fully expect you soon to be RS3 owners to wave to me as you blow by me on the highway. I want to explain the reasons why I choose an S3.

Financial
Of the dealerships in the area - the most willing to give deals on either S or RS was asking for $10K+ over sticker on any RS3 model that was incoming to their dealership. Granted you could order a RS3 and just pay sticker, and wait until late 2018 for a 2019 model. Ugh.

However, on an S3 I could get 10% off of sticker for a soon to be outgoing 2017 model. I

Stock Performance
S3 - 292 HP / 280 Torque 0-60 4.7 seconds
RS3 - 400 HP/ 354 Torque0-60 3.9 seconds
The RS3 is clearly the performer of the two, but how does that translate to real world driving in MPG and performance? I do not plan on taking my car to the track so the occasional 0-60 is important. I would say both are a wash on gas mileage.

Interestingly, I did test drive an 2018 S4 and was pretty disappointed with the lack of "feel" - it was like a big boat where everything was too smooth even in the sport modes.

TL;DR
I purchased an S3 because it was quick enough and was the better deal due to supply/demand in full affect on the RS3. I probably should have ordered one months ago. For all those that have - I'll be looking for you around attentively!

Questions for the Community:
Top Mods for S3?
The stock tires on the black optics dynamic package are awful IMO - recommendations on replacements and winter packages?
Taking delivery - after a very nice dealership

Understandable,

The S3 is a really solid option. You make a clear point on the cost of things being the primary factor. The cost difference alone can make it a hard sell. Especially if you really don't care too much about having a super rare limited production "race car" The RS is a very rare limited production car, and there is certainly a price to pay for that. That price is dealers ripping people off on cars they ordered for themselves, or waiting a very long time for your own order to come through and fighting to pay sticker. Depending on how things go with the RS3 market, there is a chance that value retention will be very high on them. The used market will likely be very hot (potentially selling over new prices) for a good year or two after the cars are delivered, possible more. It all depends on the demand, and how limited the cars really end up being. If dealers keep slapping crazy markup's on the few they have, and the wait for a new one at sticker is years out. People will pay sticker, or above, for a well taken care of used one.

The primary reason I decided to go RS3, and wait, was the engine. The engine alone is a special piece of kit. It is a piece of Audi and motoring history, and quite the special thing. The sound, and what it can do is that of legend. That alone was worth the extra price for me. Everything else is just nice to have. The S3 has everything the RS3 has, minus a few cosmetic things (That can be done aftermarket), a few track oriented tweaks (Not really important to me), and the engine.

On the power side of things, you could get the S3 to the 400HP mark with a couple stages and after market bits. A modified S3, can equal a stock RS3 in power. That goes out the window when you start tuning the RS3 of course. We don't know how well the 2.5 will tune up, but early hints suggest close to the magic 500/500 with a fairly simple stage 2 (ECU and down pipe). All of that is all a bit over kill though, and the S3 has 90% of what the RS3 has to offer (minus the sound, and stock speed)

At the price difference, and the time you will have saved in not waiting and pulling your hair out in frustration of Audi forgetting how to communicate, you may have saved yourself 20 grand and 5 years of life.... haha
Old 07-03-2017, 02:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

OP, congratulations! You chose an awesome car and the one that best fits your needs and desires, that's fantastic.

GrimTango, very well put and and pretty much the same reason I ultimately decided to go with a RS3 myself. I will add that for me I can justify the not insubstantial price difference because I keep my vehicles for a very long time. The last car I purchased new was a GTI 337 (when I was 25, ugh), a 1 of 1,500 special edition. I still have that car today and it's going nowhere even after I take delivery of the RS3. But that's me, and everyone is different. So as long you are happy with the car you drive, life is good.
Old 07-03-2017, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BlackAce
You'll be very happy with the S3, especially given your reaction to the S4.

The RS3 is just stupid mean, but that doesn't make the S3 any less respectable. Sounds like you made the right choice.

That said, wave as I zoom past you on the interstate. ;-)
Yes, I'll waive, but go slowly by me so I can hear the sound...
Old 07-03-2017, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by GrimTango42
Understandable,

The S3 is a really solid option. You make a clear point on the cost of things being the primary factor. The cost difference alone can make it a hard sell. Especially if you really don't care too much about having a super rare limited production "race car" The RS is a very rare limited production car, and there is certainly a price to pay for that. That price is dealers ripping people off on cars they ordered for themselves, or waiting a very long time for your own order to come through and fighting to pay sticker. Depending on how things go with the RS3 market, there is a chance that value retention will be very high on them. The used market will likely be very hot (potentially selling over new prices) for a good year or two after the cars are delivered, possible more. It all depends on the demand, and how limited the cars really end up being. If dealers keep slapping crazy markup's on the few they have, and the wait for a new one at sticker is years out. People will pay sticker, or above, for a well taken care of used one.

The primary reason I decided to go RS3, and wait, was the engine. The engine alone is a special piece of kit. It is a piece of Audi and motoring history, and quite the special thing. The sound, and what it can do is that of legend. That alone was worth the extra price for me. Everything else is just nice to have. The S3 has everything the RS3 has, minus a few cosmetic things (That can be done aftermarket), a few track oriented tweaks (Not really important to me), and the engine.

On the power side of things, you could get the S3 to the 400HP mark with a couple stages and after market bits. A modified S3, can equal a stock RS3 in power. That goes out the window when you start tuning the RS3 of course. We don't know how well the 2.5 will tune up, but early hints suggest close to the magic 500/500 with a fairly simple stage 2 (ECU and down pipe). All of that is all a bit over kill though, and the S3 has 90% of what the RS3 has to offer (minus the sound, and stock speed)

At the price difference, and the time you will have saved in not waiting and pulling your hair out in frustration of Audi forgetting how to communicate, you may have saved yourself 20 grand and 5 years of life.... haha
I agree with you 100% - comparing to clearly stock cars:

RS3 has the better DSG (6 vs 7)
RS3 has the better (and newer engine) with an aluminum block

The fit and finish of the interior remains to be seen. My wife said she give me an R to go with my S3 for 15K or a nice long vacation. Ha.

That said if the supply and demand let up and all of you early adopters rave about the RS3 (and I actually can test drive one) I'll join you all
Old 07-03-2017, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default S3 debate

I have only driven the s3 but yea i get what you are sayin
You guys are fast convincing me to buy the s3 i test drove
Its all about negotiating the cost right now
Old 07-03-2017, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice summary - the S3, most importantly, will FEEL very fast and is faster than 90% of what is on the road these days.

I flirted with an RS3, but came to many of the same conclusions.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The primary reason I decided to go RS3, and wait, was the engine.
Completely agree. If they placed an I4 or V6 in it I would not have considered.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

May I ask why you think the RS3 will hold its value? Audi has not claimed it is a limited edition or super rare, indeed, they have stated that Audi Sport will be bringing in more cars in the RS series. Having owned an RS4 previously and following the Porsche market as a 911 owner, I have not seen that hold in price retention on other than numbered, limited edition cars. Don't get me wrong, I will be more than happy if they hold value but I do fully expect normal depreciation on this car. Particularly after this ill conceived release by AoA.

Understandable,

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: S3 vs RS3