Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

HUD display

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
Default HUD display

I need some clarification. When I test drove a demo S5 prestige with all the options one thing I thought was cool, It had the speed limit signs posted in the HUD. I thought this information was simply coming from the the NAV unit. Now with my car that has HUD but no driver assist pkg I can't get the speed limit sign in the HUD. Is this because I don't have driver assist with sign recognition?
Old 07-08-2017, 10:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 3cat
I need some clarification. When I test drove a demo S5 prestige with all the options one thing I thought was cool, It had the speed limit signs posted in the HUD. I thought this information was simply coming from the the NAV unit. Now with my car that has HUD but no driver assist pkg I can't get the speed limit sign in the HUD. Is this because I don't have driver assist with sign recognition?
Yes you need the driver assistance package to get the traffic sign recognition.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 07blackti
Yes you need the driver assistance package to get the traffic sign recognition.
Sometimes my Nav map shows speed limit signs. Seems easy enough to have those display on the HUD. Oh well, maybe someone will come up with a hack to make it work.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:12 AM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

DAP is awesome - I drove the A5 from CO Springs up to Steamboat Springs Thru and back Sat.

of the many cool tech bits, this is the best IMO.

its cool that it senses intersections and slows down as well as dropping the speed to posted speed so I didn't have to worry about speed traps in the small mining towns

Last edited by N8!; 07-09-2017 at 07:14 AM.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by N8!
DAP is awesome - I drove the A5 from CO Springs up to Steamboat Springs Thru and back Sat.

of the many cool tech bits, this is the best IMO.

its cool that it senses intersections and slows down as well as dropping the speed to posted speed so I didn't have to worry about speed traps in the small mining towns
I wish now I had the DAP altough I wouldn't have my car yet if I had ordered it with the option.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

DAP is handy. Having the car read speed limit signs and project into hud where current speed is right there is useful. It does a really good job of reading signs too even if I'm zooming past. It even recognizes school zones and shows that etc.

My only beef with the HUD and all of them from all cars I've had is they are almost useless with sunglasses on. I tried playing with position and rotation and it doesn't help much
Old 07-11-2017, 06:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mobilehavoc
DAP is handy. Having the car read speed limit signs and project into hud where current speed is right there is useful. It does a really good job of reading signs too even if I'm zooming past. It even recognizes school zones and shows that etc.

My only beef with the HUD and all of them from all cars I've had is they are almost useless with sunglasses on. I tried playing with position and rotation and it doesn't help much
Regarding sunglasses interference w/ HUD:

In my experience, it's only polarized sunglasses that really interfere - I've had no issues with regular non-polarized sunglasses (I'm not saying that the HUD doesn't appears darker with non-polarized sunglasses - it does appear darker, just like everything else, but not to the point that it's almost useless for me).

At the risk of stating the obvious, try this test to see if it's the polarization that's causing your HUD visibility problem with sunglasses: with your sunglasses on and staring at the HUD, slowly tilt your head to one side (tilt, as in roll your head so your ear moves closer to the roof), and if the brightness changes as you're doing so, then it's the sunglasses's polarization at fault. For my polarized sunglasses, the HUD is brightest w/ my head tilted 45deg from normal - I wouldn't want to drive that way, so I just have a pair of non-polarized sunglasses that I only use in the car.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:27 PM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 3cat
I wish now I had the DAP altough I wouldn't have my car yet if I had ordered it with the option.
Hey, there's something to be said about a bird in the hand...

enjoy the car my friend.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

With polarized sunglasses my HUD dims a bit but I can still read it.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Getting my windshield replaced via Audi dealer as it was cracked upon delivery. They claim there was only 1 oem windshield in the country at the time and it is costing $900 total. Part of the expense is that the HUD has to be calibrated after the windshield is installed. I don't understand this although it isn't my dime.

Quick Reply: HUD display