A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Parking brake and engine stop

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 01:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking brake and engine stop

Audi A4 Avant B9 Automatic - European version

When I stop the engine, sometimes the parking brake activates automatically and sometimes it doesn't !

I tried to understand how it works without results.

How can I activate the parking brake automatically everytime I switch off the engine ?

Thank you !

Old 07-11-2017, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

My A4 (B9 - Automatic, US edition) automatically engages the parking brake in two circumstances. First, if I open the driver door, while I'm still in gear, before shutting off the engine. (and shutting off the engine will put the vehicle in park) Second, when I am parked on a hill or an incline. (to what degree? I don't know)
I guess you could simply open the car door before switching of the engine? Though, I'd caution this practice. Otherwise, I'm not sure if there's another way to automatically engage the brake.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Antonio Correia
Audi A4 Avant B9 Automatic - European version

When I stop the engine, sometimes the parking brake activates automatically and sometimes it doesn't !

I tried to understand how it works without results.

How can I activate the parking brake automatically everytime I switch off the engine ?

Thank you !

I've noticed that if I pull into the spot i want to park the car and while it's in drive, press the engine stop button it will put the car in park, turn the engine off, and 90% of the time put the parking brake on.

Super quick and convenient 90% of the time, but for that other 10% I have no idea why it doesn't work. There's nothing in my process that I can identify the 10% of the time that it doesn't put the parking brake on.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you guys for dropping these lines on the subject.
I saw california-audi's answer and did not reply so I could test before coming back here.
I saw Cathus' answer after lunch and here I am.

I am sorry but I had only two stops from yesterday, so far.
I suspect - needing several confirmations - that if I unfasten the seatbelt before I switch off the engine, the car breaks automatically.

I will keep this thread at my bookmarks so I can come here to let you know about my experiences.

Thank you both ! Kind of you !
Old 07-12-2017, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Antonio, I took a look at your photo gallery and there's some nice stuff in there. Good work.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've got a UK A4 S-tronic with the hill hold assist option. I find I have to press three buttons when I stop the car, 'P' on the transmission, the Parking brake and the Stop/Start button.

If I don't press the S-tronic 'P' the DIS complains, if I don't press the Parking brake I feel the car roll slightly and there's no 'P' in the dash display (red or green). Obviously I need to press the Stop/Start to turn off the engine.

I've looked at the manual but it's not clear what's the correct procedure.

Peter
Old 07-12-2017, 02:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Cathus
Antonio, I took a look at your photo gallery and there's some nice stuff in there. Good work.
Oh... have you ?
Well done ! LOL LOL

Still not time for a conclusion on our subject matter.

I need some more days... I will ask the seller man in the morning ! Hope he knows something about it...

Anyway: 3 buttons to stop and park the car ? That is too much !
Old 07-12-2017, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by UK A4 Quattro
I've got a UK A4 S-tronic with the hill hold assist option. I find I have to press three buttons when I stop the car, 'P' on the transmission, the Parking brake and the Stop/Start button.

If I don't press the S-tronic 'P' the DIS complains, if I don't press the Parking brake I feel the car roll slightly and there's no 'P' in the dash display (red or green). Obviously I need to press the Stop/Start to turn off the engine.

I've looked at the manual but it's not clear what's the correct procedure.

Peter
In the US, I press the Stop/Start first. That has always put the transmission in 'P' and 90% of the time the parking brake engages. If it doesn't engage, I set it manually. Like the OP, I haven't determined the 'why' behind the 10% non-engagement.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:35 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by lowjdml
In the US, I press the Stop/Start first. That has always put the transmission in 'P' and 90% of the time the parking brake engages. If it doesn't engage, I set it manually. Like the OP, I haven't determined the 'why' behind the 10% non-engagement.
In Canada at least, if you put the transmission in 'P' with the start/stop system on, that will shut off the engine and put it in ready mode. Then if you undo your seatbelt, it goes from ready to off. Then you have to do the parking brake manually...
Old 07-12-2017, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by VM
In Canada at least, if you put the transmission in 'P' with the start/stop system on, that will shut off the engine and put it in ready mode. Then if you undo your seatbelt, it goes from ready to off. Then you have to do the parking brake manually...
So what happens if you press the start/stop first to turn off the engine? Does the transmission go to 'P' by itself?

Quick Reply: Parking brake and engine stop