Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV
View Poll Results: Will audi add real exhaust tips to the Q5 in the next 2 years?
Yes
9.68%
No
90.32%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

2019 Q5 will or will not have real exhaust tips

Old 07-11-2017, 10:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2019 Q5 will or will not have real exhaust tips

I like the SQ5 overall, but the fake tips really bug me. Im sure there will be an aftermarket mod, but if you see cars like the MDX that had the fake exhausts, they eventually heard from the market and added them back in the mid cycle refresh. I think audi will put them back in within the next two years.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you may get a different poll response if the question were specific to an SQ5 or S-Line version of the Q5
Old 07-12-2017, 03:24 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im gunna have to go no here. Audi seems more of a "this is what you get, and you will like it" company (cupholders, short mmi cables, ect)

However, i would think a few exhaust companies will take on the task. Maybe not for the regular Q, but i would think the SQ is going to get them.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I could care less. I realize I'm in the minority, but personally I believe people are upset because exhaust has always been exposed and therefore it should remain. It it no benefit to the car's functioning or aesthetic. I like the clean and linear look of the hidden exhaust.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There is no reason to have an exposed exhaust other than for functional reasons. If the functional reason no longer exists, there is certainly no aesthetic reason to keep it. Hide the exhaust now and eventually eliminate it altogether. Exhaust tips are a relic of an ugly past when automobiles spewed vast amounts of various color pollutants. It is in line with modern clean technology to minimize them.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

My thoughts - It was wrong of Audi to design out the actual tailpipes from the exhaust cutouts on the rear bumper. If they had redesigned the area to incorporate the rear backup lights, a reflector or some other element then I would be ok with it. To just remove the tips and replace them with a layer of black plastic leads the potential owner to a couple of thoughts...Was Audi too lazy, or too cheap, to include the tips?

Since the price of the vehicle did not go down despite moving to a much lower wage area, one has to consider that they were looking to increase profit by deleting the tips, among other items. There also seems to be an increase in the use of soft and hard plastics in the interior as well. All items that can maximize profit but has the effect of cheapening the experience for the owner.

Grey
Old 07-12-2017, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

I recall watching a video about the SQ5 and the host asked someone at Audi that question and they basically said it'll stay the same until a facelift or next generation.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it will be 3 years before we see a face lift. The trouble with changing it immediately is it will upset current owners.

I am curious at aftermarket options that might come up. Where does the exhaust tone control sit? is that something near the end or closer to the turbo?
Old 07-19-2017, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember - Audi is a manufacturing company that needs to be profitable. Redesign/engineering changes, manufacturing line changes, tooling, training, etc...all cost money. If Audi does decide to change the design it won't happen for some time.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

This is an opinion poll, yes?

We have had 33 Audis.

We traded in a 2014 SQ5 Prestige on a 2018 SQ5 Prestige.

The 2018 improves on everything over the 2014: Performance is better, luxury is incrementally improved too.

The inclusion of "real" or "fake" tail pipe extension out of the rear bumper is a "who cares?" so what, not a big deal, issue.

If Audi never changes it -- OK.

If Audi changes it at the mid-cycle refresh -- that's OK too.

The performance of the '18 is a real step up. We also like the looks of the '18 over the '14.

Unless you actually focus on this, I'd bet most folks don't notice and even if they do, don't care since there is nothing about the '18 that hasn't move the ball forward so to speak.

We would've got one with exposed exhaust tips -- and obviously we got one without exposed tips.

Reminds me of the joke about the Rabbi (or Doctor if you like) who always provided circumcisions for free: "He only took tips!"

Much ado about nuttin' . . .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2019 Q5 will or will not have real exhaust tips