Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Tire fitment - summer tires vs. all season

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 05:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire fitment - summer tires vs. all season

Sorry if this has already been discussed everyone but I couldn't find a good thread.

I went with the cavo wheel package with the 255/35 summer tires, however, where I live the weather can be snowy on certain days in the winter. How do summer tires with AWD do in the 1"-2" of snow?

I'm thinking I may need to purchase some all seasons, but if I do...will 255/40 fit? Will it cause any rubbing? Will the thicker rubber look weird on the car?
Old 07-17-2017, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 103 Posts

This is not exaggeration. Summer tires in snow are DANGEROUS! They will turn your all wheel drive car into a rolling death trap. They provide very little traction in very cold weather and almost no traction at all on snow.

If you are lucky you will just sit on one spot spinning your tires. Unlucky would be actually finding enough traction to start the car moving, because once you are moving you will eventually need to stop. An AWD car is no different than a RWD or FWD car when your right foot is on the brake pedal. Quattro wont help you to stop.

As for steering - imagine taping a steering wheel to one of those red flying saucer snow sleds. Now start heading down a hill and turn that wheel. Your car would do the same thing on summer tires in the snow.

Check the S4 threads - there was a good discussion on this very recently.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good question. I'm not looking forward to spending $1000 plus for winter or all season tires if the OEM tires can't be used. I've read that they don't do well at temps below 45F.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by njspeedfreak
This is not exaggeration. Summer tires in snow are DANGEROUS! They will turn your all wheel drive car into a rolling death trap. They provide very little traction in very cold weather and almost no traction at all on snow.

If you are lucky you will just sit on one spot spinning your tires. Unlucky would be actually finding enough traction to start the car moving, because once you are moving you will eventually need to stop. An AWD car is no different than a RWD or FWD car when your right foot is on the brake pedal. Quattro wont help you to stop.

As for steering - imagine taping a steering wheel to one of those red flying saucer snow sleds. Now start heading down a hill and turn that wheel. Your car would do the same thing on summer tires in the snow.

Check the S4 threads - there was a good discussion on this very recently.
Now you're scaring me I figured as much that I would need to buy some all seasons. Will 255/40 fit without rubbing or looking weird? I want to slightly thicker on the profile because right now with the 255/35 and summer tires...I can feel every crack in the road...and we have a lot of them here where I live. Just trying to dampen the feel a bit with 40 profiles. Thoughts?
Old 07-17-2017, 06:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Audphile
Good question. I'm not looking forward to spending $1000 plus for winter or all season tires if the OEM tires can't be used. I've read that they don't do well at temps below 45F.
Yeah, not looking forward to the additional cost but it is a safety factor so I can justify it. Here in Lake Tahoe the temps can get in the negative digits and 45F on a good day is considered the high
Old 07-17-2017, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ovrkast
Now you're scaring me
GOOD! I once got caught out in an early snow squall with my summer tires. I was extremely lucky to make it home with me and the car in one piece. I can't say the same about my britches though, they went through a major Code Brown. I don't want anyone else to have to go through that.

I figured as much that I would need to buy some all seasons. Will 255/40 fit without rubbing or looking weird? I want to slightly thicker on the profile because right now with the 255/35 and summer tires...I can feel every crack in the road...and we have a lot of them here where I live. Just trying to dampen the feel a bit with 40 profiles. Thoughts?
Can't help there - width wise you should be fine but the 40's will add a little height and rolling circumference to the tire, although not very much. There are lot's of good tire size calculators online that will tell you just how much taller the tire is and how it will impact your speedometer reading.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yeah, not looking forward to the additional cost but it is a safety factor so I can justify it. Here in Lake Tahoe the temps can get in the negative digits and 45F on a good day is considered the high
Don't necessarily think of winter tires as an "additional" cost. Tires are consumables, like gas and oil. Every mile you are putting on your winter tires is a mile you are not putting on your much more expensive and much faster wearing summer tires. If you keep the car for more than about 4 years, winter tires actually save you money in the long run.

And Quattro with winter tires in snow - unbeatable!
Old 07-17-2017, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What is it with Americans that they constantly refuse to spend $1000 on a good set of winter tires on their $70,000 car? They are called SUMMER or WINTER tires for a reason.

Last edited by Stankia; 07-17-2017 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Stankia
What is it with Americans that they constantly refuse to spend a $1000 on a good set of winters tires on their $70,000 car? They are called SUMMER or WINTER tires for a reason.
Probably because we spent $800 for that all important carbon fiber trim for the mirrors and $200 to have the puddle lights project Audi rings.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:32 PM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Stankia
What is it with Americans that they constantly refuse to spend a $1000 on a good set of winters tires on their $70,000 car? They are called SUMMER or WINTER tires for a reason.
This.

Quick Reply: Tire fitment - summer tires vs. all season