Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Audi vs Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Audi vs Porsche

I am a proud owner of two Audi's. A 2013 Q5 3.0 and a 2018 S5 SB. Love the brand.

So here is my question, for fun over the weekend I went into my local Porsche dealership and I was driving my new S5. The salesman was actually a nice guy and engaged me regarding my new car. His comment was, "Beautiful car." but I could sense he wanted to say something else, so I said "but it's not a Porsche?" He said exactly. So this got me thinking.

So really is Porsche that much better. Is it just fit and finish that is better or is it actually the quality of the parts and the engineering.

There is such a premium cost wrapped into the name of Porsche so what are you really getting for that premium?
Old 07-17-2017, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by duffer5
I am a proud owner of two Audi's. A 2013 Q5 3.0 and a 2018 S5 SB. Love the brand.

So here is my question, for fun over the weekend I went into my local Porsche dealership and I was driving my new S5. The salesman was actually a nice guy and engaged me regarding my new car. His comment was, "Beautiful car." but I could sense he wanted to say something else, so I said "but it's not a Porsche?" He said exactly. So this got me thinking.

So really is Porsche that much better. Is it just fit and finish that is better or is it actually the quality of the parts and the engineering.

There is such a premium cost wrapped into the name of Porsche so what are you really getting for that premium?
My friend, and our lead mechanic for our Tampa Audi club, has done VW-Audi-Porsche progression. Had an S3 tuned then the 2017 Cayman S blue and after only a few months he is done with it. Going back to audi.

for the non supercar prices ($100k+) the 911 is out so its the Cayman or maybe used.

But his cayman wasn't fast he said compared to other tuned rides.
great drivers cockpit but not practical at all for space compared to Audi.
Inside was nice but he still missed the special feel of Audi and there MMI is much better
Tuning: Hands down Audi is easier.
Value to price: He said Porsche are more expensive to own and depreciate the first 20 yrs until they dont ;-)
Old 07-17-2017, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jjcuff1
My friend, and our lead mechanic for our Tampa Audi club, has done VW-Audi-Porsche progression. Had an S3 tuned then the 2017 Cayman S blue and after only a few months he is done with it. Going back to audi.

for the non supercar prices ($100k+) the 911 is out so its the Cayman or maybe used.

But his cayman wasn't fast he said compared to other tuned rides.
great drivers cockpit but not practical at all for space compared to Audi.
Inside was nice but he still missed the special feel of Audi and there MMI is much better
Tuning: Hands down Audi is easier.
Value to price: He said Porsche are more expensive to own and depreciate the first 20 yrs until they dont ;-)
Also he felt it wasn't safe to drive. Extremely twitchy at any moment he felt he would be in the wall. The Audi he can drive fast.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

Well, they are sister companies under the VW umbrella and do exchange technology and some parts. Porsche and Audi assembly lines are organized similiarly. Marketing wise they've positioned their brands as Porsche>Audi>VW with corresponding pricing. You will also see marketing using leverage like "Porsche designed engine will be powering the Audi XYZ".

I'd say it's a balance between pocketbook, ego, wants, spouse, prestige, etc. In my youth, some of those were more important than they are now. I'm satisfied with an Audi + money in the bank rather than driving a Porsche Panamera. YMMV
Old 07-17-2017, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,246 Likes on 769 Posts

According to Bloomberg Businessweek, Porsche makes $23,000 on every car it sells, for a profit margin of 18 percent. That's more than fellow Volkswagen Group properties Audi, Bentley, and Lamborghini, and well above the group's non-luxury brands.

In an annual report, Bentley wasn't far behind the German brand, with over $20,000 in profits per car. VW considers Lamborghini a part of Audi, and the two brands managed just $5,200 in profits per vehicle. In comparison, the Volkswagen brand itself made just $850 per car-- a 2.9 percent profit margin.

Porsche cars are slightly overpriced. Do you get what you pay for, only you can decide that!
Old 07-17-2017, 03:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Your salesman wanted to be condescending, and it probably took great effort for him not to say something snarky. I think the Porsche's are outstanding cars, don't get me wrong. I was looking for something to replace my 2014 A6 3.0T and test drove a Macan S. While the interior was great, it wasn't all that much faster than my A6, if at all. I also came to the conclusion I am not an SUV person, I didn't care for the driving position or the weight of the vehicle. While I seriously considered another A6, I was concerned about the re-design about to happen. I wound up "settling" on an S5 SB Prestige, and while I have only had the car about 3 weeks, I clearly made the right choice for me. UNBELIEVABLE CAR!!
Old 07-17-2017, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I have owned multiple Porsche cars, mostly 911, and there is a difference in the engineering and the feel of the cars.

Audis are fantastic cars, very practical, well built, good performance (S & RS models), great interiors and tech. They are also slightly conservatively designed exteriors, engines too far forward, and meant for well-healed masses.

Porsche, on the other hand, at least when discussing their sports cars and Panamera, are engineered to be drivers cars first and foremost. The only Audi compatible is the R8. Even the mighty RS7 falls short when competing against the Panamera Turbo. It can't handle with it. Not even close.

911 Carrera and Turbo models are unique and live in their own niche have prices from $100k-$210k. Nothing drives like them and is as useful as them all in one. The GT 911s are SuperCars (Audi R8 level or better).

As as you can tell, I love my 911, but I love driving Audis as daily drivers and as luxury sport automobiles. That is what they are designed for. Drive fast, do it in comfort and safety, look good, be functional, and have interiors that are beyond reproach.

My new S5 Coupe is the perfect everyday car for me and I love driving it
The following users liked this post:
notmac1 (10-05-2019)
Old 07-17-2017, 06:03 PM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

All true, but the Panamera is a hideous abomination - and (especially in Germany) are driven by affluent old pensioners.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Porsches are much more performance oriented and if that's the sort of thing you're into they are worth it. Plus you get a similar premium build quality to an Audi but with the added performance. Other performance brands skimp out on this stuff, even brands like Ferrari where everything starts falling apart after a while. Porsche really does make the best package. If I had the capital a brand new GT3 would be standing in my garage, no question about it.

https://www.topgear.com/videos/chris...orsche-911-gt3

Last edited by Stankia; 07-17-2017 at 07:03 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by lowjdml
Well, they are sister companies under the VW umbrella and do exchange technology and some parts. Porsche and Audi assembly lines are organized similiarly. Marketing wise they've positioned their brands as Porsche>Audi>VW with corresponding pricing. You will also see marketing using leverage like "Porsche designed engine will be powering the Audi XYZ".

I'd say it's a balance between pocketbook, ego, wants, spouse, prestige, etc. In my youth, some of those were more important than they are now. I'm satisfied with an Audi + money in the bank rather than driving a Porsche Panamera. YMMV
Very well said.

Quick Reply: Audi vs Porsche