Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Engine Rattle on 3.0T @ ~1400 rpm

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Rattle on 3.0T @ ~1400 rpm

Hey guys, I think this might be my first thread here but I've been lurking for a while

I have a 2012 A6 3.0T (basically exactly snagitseven's car but one year older) with ~55,000 miles on it.

Lately, I've been more aware of a rattle/ratcheting sound from the engine around 1400rpm, particularly noticeable when the engine is slowing. While it is most noticeable when slowing down while driving next to cars, it happens in every gear (incl. neutral).

Have any of you experienced a noise like this? It doesn't sound terribly catastrophic but as I approach the end of my extended warranty I want to know if I am unique in having this noise. If not, I'd like to get it checked out.

A video of the sound is uploaded here:

Thank you in advance for your feedback and all of the other contributions on this forum I have benefited from.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds like a pulley bearings gone bad... try to see where it comes from when parked and open the hood and listen for it.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

What about the Chain Tensioners? I am not sure about that though as I would think that it would make noise at all RPM's
Old 07-20-2017, 05:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had the same sound on my 2012 too...it's the cats rattling! I ended up having a secondary air injection port cleaning done at the dealer under warranty (which has been extended to 120K) and during the service they cleaned the valve seats by hand. They said the carbon build-up caused the engine vibration making the exhaust rattle. the vibration was drastically reduced after the service and any residual sound got covered up by the awetuning touring exhaust with downpipes. If you have a Vag-com check for Secondary air injection flow soft codes or have the dealer take a look if you're under warranty. hope that helps!
Old 07-20-2017, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by blackc7a6
I had the same sound on my 2012 too...it's the cats rattling! I ended up having a secondary air injection port cleaning done at the dealer under warranty (which has been extended to 120K) and during the service they cleaned the valve seats by hand. They said the carbon build-up caused the engine vibration making the exhaust rattle. the vibration was drastically reduced after the service and any residual sound got covered up by the awetuning touring exhaust with downpipes. If you have a Vag-com check for Secondary air injection flow soft codes or have the dealer take a look if you're under warranty. hope that helps!
I think this is it! I did some googling and found this
that perfectly matches my description (I think one of the replies may have even been yours). The poster had an exhaust crack so I'll have the dealer look into that. I have vag-com and there are no engine related codes pending or not.

Along the same lines, I do have a loud whining noise at startup/cat light off that sounds like a secondary air injection pump biting the dust. I'll have the dealer look into that too.

I suspect there is some carbon build up as well but my understanding is they will only address this issue if there is a MIL?
Old 07-21-2017, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had flex pipe noise which was like metal noise but wasnt a rattle replaced under warranty and over a year later the flex pipe noise is back again.

your rattle seems intense, perhaps try what others have suggested re cats.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those video skills tho..
Old 07-31-2017, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by blackc7a6
I had the same sounds on my 2012 as well, dealer replaced cat and reso under warranty, not sure about the sec air injector port but its def the cat and the resonator
Old 07-31-2017, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Vodka G
I had the same sounds on my 2012 as well, dealer replaced cat and reso under warranty, not sure about the sec air injector port but its def the cat and the resonator
Also, I think the cat has a longer warranty since it's under emissions which is longer than the standard warranty.
Old 08-05-2017, 01:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The problem is very common, its the flex pipes on hour exhaust. I had the same problem, replaced them and the sound went away! You cats are fine

Quick Reply: Engine Rattle on 3.0T @ ~1400 rpm