Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Did I Get Duped?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I Get Duped?

So I just picked up my S5 SB last weekend from a dealer in S Florida. When I put the deposit down in early April, the dealer offered to cut me a 3% discount on the car initially cause I was military and we eventually settled on 69,500 OTD which was about 3.5% off.

When I was signing all the paperwork, they had me sign this 1,000 military rebate paper which I didn't think too far into, but today I got an spam email from the dealer which says here's a sales incentive for a $1,000 military rebate. The dealer's website doesn't say much so I looked it up on another dealer's website for more info. It looks like the rebate just started in July, so I'm wondering if he dealer hosed me by taking the rebate rather than passing the extra 1,000 onto me.

On on one hand, I made the deal for 69,500, but I feel like it was dishonest to not pass the extra 1,000 on to me. Any thoughts? I feel like calling them and telling them they've hosed me and demanding the 1,000...or a free Audicare package. Thanks for the advice

Last edited by kmdr2; 07-20-2017 at 04:48 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would say... maybe.

When I was negotiating my order, my dealership told me that they'd happily add any discounts offered by Audi beyond our negotiated price, should any pop up that were valid when delivery was completed.

That being said, it seems like your discount was predicated upon being military, unless they standardly offer discounts @ the dealership level for such, perhaps they were aware of the upcoming one for Audi.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

If you signed the Military discount paperwork and didn't receive the discount then yes...the dealer is keeping the incentive.

Seems deceptive to me, I'd call them on it and get their explantion.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rocko76
I would say... maybe.

When I was negotiating my order, my dealership told me that they'd happily add any discounts offered by Audi beyond our negotiated price, should any pop up that were valid when delivery was completed.

That being said, it seems like your discount was predicated upon being military, unless they standardly offer discounts @ the dealership level for such, perhaps they were aware of the upcoming one for Audi.
I agree they said it was a "military discount" but it was in no reference to a manufacturer incentive. Since they are pocketing the incentive, it means they only really have me less than 2% off MSRP, which I could have received from a lot of dealerships. I'm sending them a long email for an explanation on how the "purchase price" changed to be over 1,000 more from the deal we made originally to the final Buyers Order sheet
Old 07-20-2017, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

If you signed the military discount paperwork wouldn't the rebate be coming to you? Not sure how this works.

I know a little about how you feel. I think my dealer hosed me over a little regarding my purchase. Now they want me to give them a perfect score on the survey.
Greed is an amazing animal
Old 07-20-2017, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 3cat
If you signed the military discount paperwork wouldn't the rebate be coming to you? Not sure how this works.

I know a little about how you feel. I think my dealer hosed me over a little regarding my purchase. Now they want me to give them a perfect score on the survey.
Greed is an amazing animal
Yeah there was an incentive form I signed, but I didn't realize they were basically jacking up the purchase price so their profit would be higher, and my total would still be 69.5k. I would think an honest dealer would apply a rebate that just got out to the consumer rather than use it to pad their own proft
Old 07-20-2017, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by kmdr2
Yeah there was an incentive form I signed, but I didn't realize they were basically jacking up the purchase price so their profit would be higher, and my total would still be 69.5k. I would think an honest dealer would apply a rebate that just got out to the consumer rather than use it to pad their own profit...
The discount should have been taken off at time of signing so it's not like a check will be forthcoming...I'd really ask the sales manager WTF and if no satisfactory answer comes out of his mouth, then work up the chain of command all the way to Audi NA.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the advice everyone. I sent a long, detailed email to the salesman, finance manager, and CC'd the general manager. Should know tomorrow what the final outcome is going to be and I'll keep you all informed.

Its just disappointing when they could could have made such a stellar experience by passing the rebate savings on to me when I showed up to sign, but it looks like they padded their own pockets thinking I wouldn't notice the number changes.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,246 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by kmdr2
Thanks for the advice everyone. I sent a long, detailed email to the salesman, finance manager, and CC'd the general manager. Should know tomorrow what the final outcome is going to be and I'll keep you all informed.

Its just disappointing when they could could have made such a stellar experience by passing the rebate savings on to me when I showed up to sign, but it looks like they padded their own pockets thinking I wouldn't notice the number changes.
Taking something away from a qualified veteran is about as low as one can go! Stick it to them and then stick them again!
Old 07-20-2017, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by synergize
Taking something away from a qualified veteran is about as low as one can go! Stick it to them and then stick them again!

I try giving car dealers the benefit of a doubt however time and time again they fail me.
Even the high line Audi dealer is part of the stereo type.

Quick Reply: Did I Get Duped?