TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

K&N Air Filter for 2018 TT RS

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts
Default K&N Air Filter for 2018 TT RS

After 4 previous turbo Audis it is clear to me that a hi-performance air filter can make noticeable difference in performance so I was keen to find one for my new TT RS. When I visited the K&N site (https://www.knfilters.com) the 2018 TT RS was not listed in the ’search by vehicle’ or even the ‘get notified when a new part is released for your vehicle’ portion of the web page so I removed the air filter from the car and took this snapshot:

and noted the VW AG part number 3Q0129620. After searching on that number, I found K&N part number 33-3036 (see https://www.knfilters.com/search/pro...x?prod=33-3036 ) and found that this filter is the correct size dimensionally, cross references to the number stamped on the filter removed from my 2018 TT RS and is listed as the correct filter for the 2016 and 2017 TT RS so I ordered one betting it would fit. It just arrived and fits perfectly - let the performance upgrades begin.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts

Noticeable how? Do you have dyno proof for a recent vintage Audi? Audi spends $millions on engine development so if they could get more HP for a few bucks by merely changing the filter, don't you think they would have done that? Furthermore, I'm seeing posts on other car forums of MAF failures with K&N. People tend to over-oil the filter when they clean it and it clogs the MAF. Now if you have done other mods that require more airlflow, then it is possible that the OEM intake system will not suffice.

Last edited by Vegas-roadster; 07-21-2017 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
Noticeable how? Do you have dyno proof for a recent vintage Audi? Audi spends $millions on engine development so if they could get more HP for a few bucks by merely changing the filter, don't you think they would have done that? Furthermore, I'm seeing posts on other car forums of MAF failures with K&N. People tend to over-oil the filter when they clean it and it clogs the MAF.
The only dyno is the one in my butt but it is well known that the key to performance improvements is allowing the engine to breathe better either thru less restrictive exhaust or intake. As to the concern with over oiling after cleaning causing MAF problems, I just buy a new one every 20K miles or so and avoid any such problems.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just ordered one. Thanks!
Old 07-22-2017, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Thoughts

Originally Posted by McTTRS
The only dyno is the one in my butt but it is well known that the key to performance improvements is allowing the engine to breathe better either thru less restrictive exhaust or intake. As to the concern with over oiling after cleaning causing MAF problems, I just buy a new one every 20K miles or so and avoid any such problems.
I agree it is a well known fact that engines need air but putting a larger funnel in from of a 1" hose does not change the flow capacity of the hose. Searching the internet for actual dyno tests not paid for by K&N appears to show an increase of a few (usually less than 5) HP and torque across the power band when the K&N is inserted. I say "appears" because the K&N is always inserted after the OEM run so the engine is hotter and a few degrees of engine heat has a similar effect on HP and torque. So you are talking about a 1-2% increase (if true) which is impossible to feel by even the most calibrated butt - it's all in your head. An unexpected result of my search was that the dirt filtration of K&N is crap, as are most other aftermarket filters, as compared to the OEM. You are letting a lot of junk into your air/fuel system with K&N. So the bottom line is you can get a similar level of unrestricted airflow (and dirt flow) by buying a $2 aftermarket air filter than the OEM.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm
K&N Air Filter Review - Debunking the Myths (and why OEM is better)

I still agree that if you do other engine mods that results in more HP, your OEM air supply system is probably insufficient for your needs.

Last edited by Vegas-roadster; 07-23-2017 at 07:06 AM.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree it is a well known fact that engines need air but putting a larger funnel in from of a 1" hose does not change the flow capacity of the hose. Searching the internet for actual dyno tests not paid for by K&N appears to show an increase of a few (usually less than 5) HP and torque across the power band when the K&N is inserted. I say "appears" because the K&N is always inserted after the OEM run so the engine is hotter and a few degrees of engine heat has a similar effect on HP and torque. So you are talking about a 1-2% increase (if true) which is impossible to feel by even the most calibrated butt - it's all in your head. An unexpected result of my search was that the dirt filtration of K&N is crap, as are most other aftermarket filters, as compared to the OEM. You are letting a lot of junk into your air/fuel system with K&N. So the bottom line is you can get a similar level of unrestricted airflow (and dirt flow) by buying a $2 aftermarket air filter than the OEM.

I still agree that if you do other engine mods that results in more HP, your OEM air supply system is probably insufficient for your needs.
Wow! Those tests if accurate are a pretty convincing argument against the K&N type filter element. I would think hard about going down that path again in the future.

Porsche uses BMC filters in some of its very high revving NA motors as an OE part. I wonder if they also do not filter well?
Old 07-23-2017, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Not sure what your motive is for bad mouthing hi performance air filters but you are clearly being misleading at best. Had you had taken the time to research the impact on performance of hi performance air filters on turbo charged Audis, you would known that the performance increase is in excess of 5% for both HP and torque which is 2-1/2 to 5 times the increase that you stated as fact. Check out these published dyno results for an Audi A3:

Most folks folks consider a performance increase greater than 5% or 20HP in the case of the 2018 TT RS for less than $100 excellent bang for the buck so what's your problem?

As to your concern over filtration, K&N filters do not compromise your Audi warranty and as I get a new car before the warranty runs out, this concern like you post in general is mostly irrelevant from my perspective.

Last edited by McTTRS; 07-24-2017 at 08:03 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

The first thing I do with a new car is to install a K&N or aFe Pro-dry high flow cotton/synthetic filter. OEM systems are always air starved as part of the emissions/fuel efficiency compliance scheme, as well as more quiet operation, for a particular model.
The K&N actually has remarkable surface area for its reduced height and greater permeability.
Actually this time I installed a K&N flat filter and then an 034 intake when first available which has a conical type filter.
Mann is a very good, thick, filter, but only as good as paper can be and again designed to help meet the OEM relative air restriction.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Plenty of tests on these running around. Here's one example:

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

Sometimes you will get a bit more power out of them because they are less restrictive than many OEM filters. They also perform worse as filters. There are a multitude of used oil analysis results showing increased silica counts, and thus increased wear metal counts when K&N filters are used. Most people will trade their vehicle long before it matters (if it ever does) but worth pointing out this isn't a free lunch situation.

If you replace the entire intake tract with something higher flowing and still use a paper filter but with more surface area but the same filtration, you'd get the potential gains without the worsened filtration. That would be an ideal scenario. Also $$. I'll be staying stock, I intend to keep my car quite some time.

As to that dyno, you can see differences of that size in an unchanged car on two back to back dyno runs. There's a pressure difference in those, who knows what else changed. That's why these threads always become a mess, there will be plenty of dyno results showing no change or worse, but also plenty showing better. They tend to be within the variance typically seen across multiple dyno runs without equipment changes.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Huey52
The first thing I do with a new car is to install a K&N or aFe Pro-dry high flow cotton/synthetic filter. OEM systems are always air starved as part of the emissions/fuel efficiency compliance scheme, as well as more quiet operation, for a particular model.
The K&N actually has remarkable surface area for its reduced height and greater permeability.
Actually this time I installed a K&N flat filter and then an 034 intake when first available which has a conical type filter.
Mann is a very good, thick, filter, but only as good as paper can be and again designed to help meet the OEM relative air restriction.
There is a fundamental question I have about this subject. How can you increase air flow and at the same time filter out the same or more contaminants? Is it that a thinner filter with better material lets more air thru while trapping as much crud as a thicker filter? As was said before, if the after market filters do make a difference why wouldn't Audi recommend or use them, especially in a TTRS?

I'm really not trying to stir the pot but just trying to understand if there is a risk vs. reward thing going on here. Seems like one could easily set up a test to measure air flow and amount of contaminants passing thru the filter. That to me would be proof if these filters are as good as they say they are.

Quick Reply: K&N Air Filter for 2018 TT RS