A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

A6 3.2 not working in my A4... why not?

Old 07-22-2017, 10:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 3.2 not working in my A4... why not?

2008 A4 S-line Quattro Convertible

A local independent shop tried replacing my A4 3.2 with another engine.

It hasn't gone well.

First, it would run, but the catalytic converters would glow red. They melted and I replaced with new.

Engine would run but had no power.

Towed it to a higher end shop. They found that the new and working crank sensor wasn't seeing the teeth on the flexplate, and was likely working in limp mode, from last known "good" data.

Towed it back to the first shop.

They admitted that they got an A6 engine. So they pulled the flexplate off the old A4 engine and tried that. No go.

Now they are saying the crank sensor is only getting .03 volts when it should get 8 volts. They think the ECU needs to be replaced.

I feel like THEY melted the catalytic converters, which I replaced at my expense. They did not charge me for the install.

I worry that they really don't know Audis and are making expensive guesses.

So, I am pleading for any experts on here to chime in and suggest a solution and course of action. Thank you in advance!
Old 07-23-2017, 08:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Did the shop transfer all the sensors and hardware from your old block or did they used everything that came with the A6 motor? And was it the correct engine block code they used from your engine. There are many version of the 3.2 out there and all will not interchange.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by vce1232000
Did the shop transfer all the sensors and hardware from your old block or did they used everything that came with the A6 motor? And was it the correct engine block code they used from your engine. There are many version of the 3.2 out there and all will not interchange.
Thanks for the question.

They installed the 3.2L from a 2008 A6 into my 2008 A4, replacing its 3.2L. I don't know what they might have transfered from the old block to the new one.

From what I've been able to tell from the InterWebs, all 2008 A4 and A6 3.2L engines were coded BKH.

But, if the ECU or various sensors are different, you may be onto something. Does anyone know if that is the case?

The shop DID say that the flexplate and shim from the A4 was thinner. So, other differences are likely. I just don't know what they are.

Last edited by INZAudi; 07-26-2017 at 06:29 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-31-2017, 09:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Audi Experts... please chime in : )

Who here knows about flexplates, shims, cranksensors and ECMs?

My mechanic says that the crank sensor (a new, good one) is only getting .03 volts when it should get 8 volts. Thus, it is not reading the teeth on the flexplate; thus the ECM is putting the engine in limp mode.

My mechanic wants to replace the ECM, but that seems like expensive guess-work, given what they've done with the car so far.

I would really appreciate some guidance here.

Thanks.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Boosting this post because the issue is still not resolved.
THANK GOODNESS I AM NOT RELYING ON THIS CAR AS MY DAILY!

Can anyone please offer an opinion on what next steps I should take?
Old 08-21-2017, 08:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I bought a used ECU from another 3.2. Took it to the shop and they said, "Oh, you need the key, the VIN # and the TCM to go with this for it to work. We'll see if it will run without those things, but ultimately, that's what you need, or, you can get it reprogrammed at a dealer."

Does that sound right?
Old 08-25-2017, 02:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by INZAudi
I bought a used ECU from another 3.2. Took it to the shop and they said, "Oh, you need the key, the VIN # and the TCM to go with this for it to work. We'll see if it will run without those things, but ultimately, that's what you need, or, you can get it reprogrammed at a dealer."

Does that sound right?
I am now being told that the independent shop tried to have a locksmith program the existing key to work with the new ECU. That effort failed. So, I am now being advised to tow it to an Audi dealer and have them do it.

Any further ideas about my state of affairs? I'm about ready to cut my losses. I'm $4500 into this repair debacle and see no end in sight.

Any encouragement would be appreciated. Either way!!!!!