A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One corner sitting lower

Old 07-22-2017, 09:32 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default One corner sitting lower

While driving yesterday, both dash suspension lights came on and the front end got "bouncy" (just like in Louis's video). Once parked, the front left corner was sitting very low, but there were no compressor noises, unlike in most of the posts I found. This didn't change overnight.

I have two Carista error codes (no VCDS yet):

01598 - Auto-leveling suspension (Drive Battery Voltage); and
00668 - Ignition authorization (Supply Voltage Terminal 30).

I checked the 10 amp fuse on the right side, but it looked fine. I have not taken apart the dash to pull the 40 amp fuse, as the compressor doesn't seem to be running. Also, all adaptive suspension settings are available (nothing grayed out).

Anything to check before I take it to the shop? From Louis's and others' experiences, it sounds like I still can still drive at low speeds so I plan to limp to an Indie shop first thing Monday -- unless someone warns me off or recommends the dealership. Thanks in advance for any helpful tips.

Corner dropped
Old 07-23-2017, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Your auto leveling system must be off, if it works, both front should be the same height... evenly bottom low. It must be a fuse or relay somewhere is broken.
Why take to an Indy? Dealer is better.
Put on lift mode, then jack mode, leveling system is disabled.
Cheers,
Louis

Last edited by ltooz_a6_a8_q7; 07-23-2017 at 08:32 AM.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyAudi
While driving yesterday, both dash suspension lights came on and the front end got "bouncy" (just like in Louis's video). Once parked, the front left corner was sitting very low, but there were no compressor noises, unlike in most of the posts I found. This didn't change overnight.

I have two Carista error codes (no VCDS yet):

01598 - Auto-leveling suspension (Drive Battery Voltage); and
00668 - Ignition authorization (Supply Voltage Terminal 30).

I checked the 10 amp fuse on the right side, but it looked fine. I have not taken apart the dash to pull the 40 amp fuse, as the compressor doesn't seem to be running. Also, all adaptive suspension settings are available (nothing grayed out).

Anything to check before I take it to the shop? From Louis's and others' experiences, it sounds like I still can still drive at low speeds so I plan to limp to an Indie shop first thing Monday -- unless someone warns me off or recommends the dealership. Thanks in advance for any helpful tips.

Uh, the battery? Or I suppose, the alternator behind it? Hadn't personally heard of that one before, so...Google is your friend...

...as is the documentation from a tool company with some substance instead of the training wheels app. 01598 - Ross-Tech Wiki

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 07-23-2017 at 10:00 AM.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
Put on lift mode, then jack mode, leveling system is disabled.
Louis
FWIW, jack mode automatically switches back off about 2 feet after I start driving mine. I don't think that patch works on the road.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:25 PM
Club AutoUnion

Louis: Thanks for the tip. I disabled leveling. Drove around a bit, then disabled again for the night. No changes. The dealer and the Indy are equidistant, so maybe I'll take your advice.

MP: Ross-Tech Wiki was where I got the idea to check the fuses. Linking to the wiki is one of the redeeming features of Carista. Meter confirmed visual checks of fuse. Checking the battery next, but it's the Big One and less than 2 years old. I'll have to research alternators tonight, I guess. Thanks for the input.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Following up, the codes are just a summary list, so I can't see voltage. What is it? Both codes read as voltage/power related, and of course one has nothing really to do with suspension and hence sense it may be an issue not isolated to suspension components. Volts aren't ideal diagnostic for charging system, but can still give decent direction for basic fault finding, esp. if generally under 12 and no good reason for it.

Also, do you have codes in power management module? Or the other ones often scattered around various modules, all basically saying brownout voltage wise or quiesscent power rationing algorithm that kicks in when power goes low?

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 07-23-2017 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:02 AM
Club AutoUnion

Sorry for the delay. Dealer just called to say it was the air strut, but Audi recommends replacing in pairs. Replace only one strut = $2,700.00. Replace both front struts - $5,100.00.

NOT what I was hoping to hear. I need to search the boards to confirm dealer numbers, but my only apparent option would be to take it to an indie and hope they are cheaper. Can't wait to tell the wife!
Old 07-26-2017, 07:25 AM
Club AutoUnion

And yes, I'm basing my OEM decision after reading all of the horror stories with remanufactured struts!
Old 07-26-2017, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Sorry for the delay. Dealer just called to say it was the air strut, but Audi recommends replacing in pairs. Replace only one strut = $2,700.00. Replace both front struts - $5,100.00.

NOT what I was hoping to hear. I need to search the boards to confirm dealer numbers, but my only apparent option would be to take it to an indie and hope they are cheaper. Can't wait to tell the wife!
Seats should be replaced periodically too in an ideal world (only in pairs...). And door handles (set of four), and carpeting, and steering wheel, and... Might as well just roll the C notes, skip the herbs and light 'em up. Oh, and ask the dealer if that is what they do--and Audi pays for--if they are replaced under warranty...

I replaced one and only one front. Bought from internet dealer at the std. discount (audiusaparts.com) and DIY'ed. Could not tell diff. in ride one side to other. Rode great/same before, and great after---other than the leak failure. I kept my suspension mechanical/rubber parts in good shape. I would spend (a fraction of) the extra money on rest of suspension/car long before replacing a functional stock with no apparent issues. I sold core back to Arnott for a little pocket money BTW; you did't have to buy from them to sell them a core.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 07-26-2017 at 07:44 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default If your wife thinks like mine... there won't be any problem

Can't wait to tell the wife!
When my wife experienced the drive with the low rider, I told her it will cost $500 to buy a rebuilt one which we don't know if it works, I told her I found a place that sell brand new Air suspension bag for $200 and we should try to see if it works. She said "We", I said "Yes", I couldn't do it alone... She said "alright, I trust you". The rest was history as they say.

Off topic:

Our water heater line leaked under the slab, the water bill was 3 times normal, the Gas bill doubled, called the plumbers, some said $5k-10k to run new likes up to the attic, some wanted $6k to break the slab and fix. All of them will break the house. My wife looked at me like "can you do it? I'll help"... $300 later, the rest was history, again. She likes to take vacations in the Caribbean.

Cheers and good luck,

Louis

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: One corner sitting lower