31.82%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Sunroof? YES or NO

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof? YES or NO

I'm debating if I should have the sunroof deleted.
What do you guys think?
Old 07-24-2017, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

A Cali car sans sunroof? Surely, you jest?
Old 07-24-2017, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by UCDaHacker
I'm debating if I should have the sunroof deleted.
What do you guys think?
I struggled with the same question before I ordered my Q5 Prestige last month. From a rational point of view, it's easy to list the advantages and disadvantages of having a sunroof. On the positive side, it probably results in a higher resale value, it provides for more natural light in the cabin and, as Audi puts it, it offers a "refreshingly airy driving experience." Negatives include added weight (which makes for slightly slower acceleration), more noise (possibly even with the sunroof closed), and certainly more heat entering the cabin (which can be mitigated to some extent by tinting the sunroof).

However, like your choice of exterior paint color, whether or not to delete the sunroof comes down to personal preference. If you've enjoyed having a sunroof in your previous cars, keep the sunroof. If you rarely if ever used it, maybe you should delete it. For me, there was another, purely psychological reason for retaining it: I just couldn't delete what is a $1450 option on the base Q5 without any compensation from Audi for doing so.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't forget that body rigidity is reduced with the pano-roof and the excessive heat radiating from the glass even with the dark tint might be unbearable depending on where you are located. If ever I order a Q5 or SQ5, it will be without the pano-roof. I am not a sun-lover and I hate too much heat.
Old 07-29-2017, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Are you sure you guys would get the sunroof?
I'm reading that it makes the cabin too hot
Old 07-29-2017, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by UCDaHacker
Are you sure you guys would get the sunroof?
I'm reading that it makes the cabin too hot
FWIW,

I have a co worker that bought a q7 in Phoenix and he loves it.
Old 07-29-2017, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't like the sun screen which lets out sun light through whether you like it or not. 95 deg here in LA, I am glad I ordered the base model without it. I didn't want to pay for the premium then delete it. My only option is the convenience package & color. I'm glad it comes with paddle shifter, drive select, rear view camera, power lumbar, leather, walnut liner and auto lift gate.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:10 AM
U-2
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same here. Both me and my wife hate sunroofs. And sun is one of the reasons we've chosen the florett silver color for her car.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

I live in Texas and would not have purchased the car without the panoramic sunroof. Love this feature and have no regrets at all. There aren't many places hotter in the U.S. than north Texas. I've had no heat issues with the roof fully "closed," and honestly don't understand the heat complaints others have made. I may be acclimated, but I think heat bothers me as much as the next person.

Last edited by frogs9497; 09-24-2017 at 09:41 AM.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I live in hot and humid Houston yet the sunroof doesn't make my car any hotter inside compared to previous cars that had no sunroof. So that should be a non-concern. The one thing that does keep the cabin from getting too hot is dark window tint. That makes a significant difference (I've had cars with and without window tint) and would definitely recommend it.

I like the fact that it's panoramic and extends all the way back to the rear passenger area. It adds another level of elegance. IMO if you live in California most definitely get it. If anything it will help with your resale value in the future. Living in Houston the weather here is horrible and only expect to open my sunroof maybe 2-3 times per year.

Quick Reply: Sunroof? YES or NO