Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Driving Modes Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 06:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving Modes Question

1) when I set a driving style like let's say auto, then I shift the driving **** down to get eh S mode, does this mean the car is in Dynamic Sport mode or is it in AUTO "Sport" mode....so I guess the question is does each driving style have its own Sport mode or does it all default to dynamic sport even if u aren't in that mode?

2) what the hell does the button with the cloud/rain on it for the front fog lamps do? I can't turn them on without turning on the Auto lights which turns on the fog lights by default it seems..what the hell does this switch do?

Old 07-25-2017, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

1) Sport mode puts the powertrain (engine and transmission) in Dynamic mode, conversely Dynamic mode puts the powertrain in Sport mode. So, yes, by putting the transmission in Sport while Drive Select overall is in Auto, simply puts the powertrain in Dynamic. It's essentially the same as going into Individual and flipping Engine/Transmission to Dynamic. Sport mode is not something else. It's just what the transmission goes to when you select Dynamic. This also means that when you leave Drive Select in Dynamic, then turn off the car and turn it back on, since the transmission starts in D, you are not actually in full Dynamic mode until you put the transmission back in S.

2) That's the all-weather lights. My understanding is that the A3/S3 like pretty much all new Audis don't have fog lights anymore. In their places are all-weather lights integrated into the headlight housing.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
1) Sport mode puts the powertrain (engine and transmission) in Dynamic mode, conversely Dynamic mode puts the powertrain in Sport mode. So, yes, by putting the transmission in Sport while Drive Select overall is in Auto, simply puts the powertrain in Dynamic. It's essentially the same as going into Individual and flipping Engine/Transmission to Dynamic. Sport mode is not something else. It's just what the transmission goes to when you select Dynamic. This also means that when you leave Drive Select in Dynamic, then turn off the car and turn it back on, since the transmission starts in D, you are not actually in full Dynamic mode until you put the transmission back in S.

2) That's the all-weather lights. My understanding is that the A3/S3 like pretty much all new Audis don't have fog lights anymore. In their places are all-weather lights integrated into the headlight housing.

Cool! Thanks for the reply so i could leave the car in lets say AUTO mode and then by pressing the shift **** in to S i get engaged in to Dynamic mode for just the drivetrain settings or all the other suspension, sterring, etc that comes with Dynamic mode?

This would be good for my wife driving the car if she has to. I dont have to keep the car in Dynamic Drive mode all the time.

Last edited by elrod_s3; 07-25-2017 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by elrod_s3
Cool! Thanks for the reply so i could leave the car in lets say AUTO mode and then by pressing the shift **** in to S i get engaged in to Dynamic mode for just the drivetrain settings or all the other suspension, sterring, etc that comes with Dynamic mode?

This would be good for my wife driving the car if she has to. I dont have to keep the car in Dynamic Drive mode all the time.
Just the drivetrain settings. If you keep Drive Select in Auto and then pull on the shifter to go into S, Steering, Suspension etc. all stay in Auto, but Engine and Transmission go into Dynamic. I do this a lot. I pretty much leave Drive Select in Individual mode in my RS5 with everything in Auto, expect the Sport Differential in Dynamic. Then if I feel like tearing it up a bit more, I flip the transmission into S and than over in Manual mode. Once I've gotten it out of my system, I put it back in D. I only change the Drive Select mode itself if I go on a long highway/road trip (put it in Comfort) or I hit up the canyons (put it in Dynamic).
Old 07-25-2017, 11:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

That answers my question. Thanks for the clarification. I found a table in the users guide that shows the differences between the modes even with the S turned on so that helped as well. Didnt realize that Individual mode was tied to the actual individual Key as well so i could program two individual modes and the car will select automatically
Old 07-25-2017, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

That answers my question. Thanks for the clarification. I found a table in the users guide that shows the differences between the modes even with the S turned on so that helped as well. Didnt realize that Individual mode was tied to the actual individual Key as well so i could program two individual modes and the car will select automatically
Drive Select in general is tied to the individual key fob. So you can leave it Dynamic mode while your wife leaves it in Auto mode. As long as each of you uses their own key fobs you'll always have your last settings. Same goes for climate control etc. Many settings in the car are personalized to either the key fob or the paired Bluetooth device.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You know ore than my car dealer does!! Do the seats have a memory thats tied to the Key Fob as well? I am little surprised that there isnt a seat memory button
Old 07-25-2017, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You know ore than my car dealer does!! Do the seats have a memory thats tied to the Key Fob as well? I am little surprised that there isnt a seat memory button
Unfortunately so far Audi has refused to include the memory seat function on anything less than an A4 in North America. To answer your question, however, the seat position would be tied to the key fob if the car was equipped with seat memory.