Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Off to Park

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Off to Park

Learned something new by accident today...

Turned off engine via Start/Stop button in D/S by accident and car defaulted back to Park automatically. Didnt have to shift up to N and hit P or nothing. Tested a half dozens more times and works consistently.

This is great news, as every time I manually tried shifting up to N, I end up in Reverse. Then had to go back down. My gorilla strength knows not how to be gentle!

Anyways, passing on the love.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

With this electronic gear shifter, you do not need to shift to N to get to Park. Simply push P on the gear control when stopped.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Son of a biscuit! That works too!

OK, then I retract my whole orig premise of Off to Park and just hit the damn P button anytime. doh

My 14 tip had to manually shift up to P. Just assumed this was the same.

Sorry.. old enough to still remember 3 on a Tree anyways, so old habits...

Going to test out getting up to about 25MPH, stomp on the brakes and hit P and see what happens then. Should be fun!

Last edited by Cabal_san; 07-25-2017 at 01:23 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cabal_san
Learned something new by accident today...

Turned off engine via Start/Stop button in D/S by accident and car defaulted back to Park automatically. Didnt have to shift up to N and hit P or nothing. Tested a half dozens more times and works consistently.

This is great news, as every time I manually tried shifting up to N, I end up in Reverse. Then had to go back down. My gorilla strength knows not how to be gentle!

Anyways, passing on the love.
That's the way it's supposed to work. If you turn the engine off while in D or S, the transmission automatically shifts into Park. If you turn the engine off while in Neutral, the transmission remains in Neutral for about half an hour, then shifts to Park.

BTW, the electronic parking brake also does some fancy stuff. For example, it can help keep the vehicle from rolling back when starting up on a steep hill: With the parking brake on, put the car in D and gently press the gas. The brake will release automatically when enough gs is applied to get the car moving forward.

There's more electronics and processing power in your Q5 than in an IBM mainframe of the 1970s.