Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

10k Service - Tire Rotation

Old 07-25-2017, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 10k Service - Tire Rotation

There are times I really like my Audi dealer. And times that make me do a face palm. Was in for my 10k service today. At drop-off, the service writer said they would rotate tires. When I picked it up, they hadn't rotated them (had a puncture repaired and that tire had stains from the dismount/mount - it was in the same position on the Q7). Went back in to ask. My service writer was on the phone, another offered to help. He said that you always want the tires with the most tread on the rear. If I had more tread on the rears than the fronts - they wouldn't rotate them. But, couldn't speak to my question. My service writer got off the phone - he tried to tell me that Audi doesn't recommend rotation. Making up stories because they were supposed to but didn't rotate the tires? C'mon.....
Old 07-25-2017, 10:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 565 Likes on 447 Posts

Thats funny because I always want the best tires on the front,.. since I can feel how bad they are in my hands and I find steering is kind of important part of driving.

full of bs, but your not the first one to report dealers not rotating tires and trying to say its 'not recommended', they sell tires.. why would they want you to get the most out of em? the'd change your oil every 3k miles if you let em.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd imagine you'd want even wear on your tires - so rotating tires would make sense.

Then again, I'm not a service manager making up stuff as I go.
Old 07-26-2017, 04:08 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

If your tires haven't been rotated in 10K miles I would go back and have them rotated. IMO the SA is just making excuses because they didn't do what they were supposed to. BTW, did they charge you for the rotation?

In addition, as already mentioned by dreadlocks, I too have always been under the impression that the better tires should be on the front..
Old 07-26-2017, 04:20 AM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 281 Likes on 201 Posts

When tires are replaced in pairs, the new tires should always be installed on the rear axle and the partially worn tires moved to the front. New tires on the rear axle help the driver more easily maintain control on wet roads since deeper treaded tires are better at resisting hydroplaning.
https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech....jsp?techid=52

If you’re only replacing two tires, we recommend mounting the new tires on the rear axle, which adds traction and increased overall safety to your vehicle. Your car can better resist hydroplaning with new rear tires, even if the front tires are worn. If the front tires hydroplane, the vehicle will travel in a straight line and you can safely maintain control. While you steer, the unworn rear tires will help stabilize the rear of the vehicle.
https://www.discounttire.com/learn/replacing-2tires
Old 07-26-2017, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Old 07-26-2017, 05:30 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

I learn something new everyday, thanks for the info.

And after watching the video it does make sense

Last edited by JT4; 07-26-2017 at 05:33 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 565 Likes on 447 Posts

Try taking your Audi in and buying just 2 tires, last time I tried that they outright refused and sent me home..

with AWD you always replace all 4 tires, with 3 differentials you need all the tires to be the same circumference or your putting stress on the drivetrain.. yet another reason I cant believe they say rotation is 'not reccomended'
Old 07-26-2017, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Rotation is important. I would have them rotate them even if the tires with the most tread were on the back.

But as for if the tires with the most tread should be on the front or back if you have a choice, they should be on the back. This is true even for FWD cars. It keeps the car from dangerously oversteering if you hydroplane. Every tire company will tell you that if you want to replace two tires, put them on the back. if you were to get just two winter tires (not wise), they should be on the back (even for FWD cars). Car needs back tires the same or better in back to track properly.

Last edited by rsilvers129; 07-26-2017 at 08:31 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, I've always put the new tires on the front but this does make sense. My only counter argument is the front tires in most cars I've ever driven (FWD & AWD) wear faster. If you stand by the philosophy of less worn tires in the rear, you would never rotate the tires. Typically in an AWD car, you want to install four new tires, unless the wear is pretty minimal, you can do two (tolerance of 3/32" tread difference). So when installing two new and two used tires, I would put the new in front (so long as the rears are within tolerance) to provide even wear amongst all four over time.

That's my $0.02.

Last edited by Trevor K; 07-26-2017 at 10:34 AM. Reason: clarification

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 10k Service - Tire Rotation