A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Viscous Fan bolts - thread sealer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Viscous Fan bolts - thread sealer?

So in 2012 my viscous fan clutch bearing failed (due to mud in bearing ... long story) and I replaced it. I even have a video on youtube

Now some 5 years later and I'm on vacation, my poor old mum was driving the car when the serpentine belt snaps - well self destructs really!

So I'm thinking it's a seised roller bearing or alternator, ps pump etc but no, the bloody blots that held the fan on the pulley simply fell off! Ok so they were probably loose for a while and the car did have a new noise before I left .... better still I was hoping it was the timing belt as it would now give me a legitimate excuse to get another D2.

So I'm simply replacing the "missing" blots and wondering if I need any loctite or washers with them. I don't see any washers on a part diagram I have but loctite seems like a no brainier. Strange that it took 5 years to work loose and that it actually didn't do more damage.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ThaboTheWuff
So in 2012 my viscous fan clutch bearing failed (due to mud in bearing ... long story) and I replaced it. I even have a video on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO7Tl_cNz7I

Now some 5 years later and I'm on vacation, my poor old mum was driving the car when the serpentine belt snaps - well self destructs really!

So I'm thinking it's a seised roller bearing or alternator, ps pump etc but no, the bloody blots that held the fan on the pulley simply fell off! Ok so they were probably loose for a while and the car did have a new noise before I left .... better still I was hoping it was the timing belt as it would now give me a legitimate excuse to get another D2.

So I'm simply replacing the "missing" blots and wondering if I need any loctite or washers with them. I don't see any washers on a part diagram I have but loctite seems like a no brainier. Strange that it took 5 years to work loose and that it actually didn't do more damage.
Shouldn't need loctite, I've swapped bearings/fans and never had an issue.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default on split ring lockwashers

From what I understand, split ring lockwashers really don't "lock" anything; their force is way too puny. Stretching of the bolts by tightening them enough is what jams the threads together and keeps the joint tight. The split ring lockwashers simply keep the bolts from backing out all the way immediately once loosened a little bit, by keeping some tension on them once they start backing out, hopefully delaying things somewhat.

Last edited by hillpc; 03-27-2019 at 04:07 PM.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

You might hate yourself later if you put thread locker on them now and have to get them off later. Just make sure they are properly torqued to the common German torque spec (guten tight). I have found pulley bolts/nuts are sometimes difficult to tighten properly because the pulley spins when tightening. I have used several methods, of which the easiest is to use a screwdriver or small prybar between the bolts you are tightening to stop the pulley from rotating while you tighten it. I have a "clutch fan tool" set (which don't actually fit the clutch fan...) but has a holder tool with two pivoting arms and opposing slots at the end to do the same thing. Also helps with removal and holding the pulley while loosening the clutch fan nut (24 mm?).