Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2012 3.0T front caliper caps (remove/replace)

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 09:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 3.0T front caliper caps (remove/replace)

Hi my caps are all rusty. The picture is of another car I found online. The black shiny part in the pic is the cap I'm talking about. Mine are rusty - not black.

pic:
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

I want to get mine red powder coated and clear coated (professional shop).

I have read these caps are very hard to put back on. Is that true with this exact model?

The reason I am concerned is that it will just be a regular tire shop removing and replacing them (down the street from the powder coat shop). I need to assume they will not be experienced or careful. I do not want them breaking, bending, scratching anything in the process. Who can describe a method to me so I can explain to them if it is, in fact, difficult to get them back on? Pictures would be great too if you have any.

I have already bought a T-45 torx drive for the screw in case they do not have one.
Attached Thumbnails 2012 3.0T front caliper caps (remove/replace)-i44%5Epimgpsh_fullsize_distr.png  
Old 07-27-2017, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by californick
I have read these caps are very hard to put back on. Is that true with this exact model?

I have already bought a T-45 torx drive for the screw in case they do not have one.
Those covers come off during every pad change. The same screw keeps an anti rattle spring in place. Any decent shop can handle it and they should have the Torx needed.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/att...1&d=1501165412
Attached Thumbnails 2012 3.0T front caliper caps (remove/replace)-100_0805.jpg  
Old 07-27-2017, 08:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Tenspeed. You say: "Any decent shop" lol. I am preparing for them not to be a decent shop. They just do tires and wheels all day - not brakes.

If it is a simple matter of removing the screw and then putting it back (and the caps seat back in place easily), then I will stop bellyaching. If they are hard to put back and there's a trick to it. I'd like to know to warn them.

They are just down the street from the powder coater. I'm getting the wheels and those caps coated. I drive the car to the tire shop and they give the bare rims to the powder coating guys plus the front caps in my case. So you see my predicament - I did not choose the tire shop and they do not do brakes, this is kinda a favor. I don't think I'll be charged either. So if they scratch and/or bend stuff they'll be like: sorry we tried, this is not really what we do. Anyway, if it is easy, then I'll stop worrying and just watch while they remove and replace.