A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Traded my A7 for a 2017 BMW 540

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Traded my A7 for a 2017 BMW 540

Traded two weeks ago. I had a 2016 A7 then a 2017. Both were Prestige with 20" Sport Package.

My 540 is an M-Sport with 20" wheels, Premium Pkg, Driver Assist, Luxury Seating and a few other odds and ends.

I won't go into why I traded as it's a goofey story, but the short of is is that my A7 was almost two years old and that's about all I can keep a car. I liked the A7s an awful lot, but the A6/A7 had just become too dated. The 5 series is all new. I should point out that I had a 2012 550 BMW before the A7s.

Here is the quick comparison. The A7 I think is the better "drivers" car from a handling standpoint but the 540 is fine in that regard. I basically use the car to commute from the Houston suburbs into town. Anyone who knows Houston knows that this does not require a great handling car. But kudos to Audi for the driving dynamics.

The A7 was a comfortable, competent commuter car, but the new 5 is better in that regard. The Luxury Seating seats in the 5 are incredibly comfortable and BMW has done a great job with the new suspension. The car has a great ride/handling combination.

One of my biggest complaints with the A7 has been the REALLY mediocre Bose sound system. The Harman Kardon in the 5 series is a very good system to my ears.

The other thing that the BMW has going for it that I also liked in my previous 550 is a solidness and quietness going down the road that is hard to convey until you spend time in one. They are bank vault solid. The Audi is good, but just doesn't feel quite as good.

The 3.0 Supercharged engine in the A7 is an outstanding engine, but the new 540 engine is better. Smooth as fine silk, power everywhere and better economy. If you never drive a BMW inline six you have my permission to rave about the Audi engine. But the 540 engine is sensational. Amazingly, the 540 is about as fast as the 550 I had with the 400 hp 445 torque twin turbo V8.

I love the new 540 and right now for what I use it for it's clearly the better car. But aside from the sound system I have nothing bad to say about the Audi. I would definitely consider one again, and recommend them to anyone interested in them.

Last edited by jjsC6; 08-04-2017 at 04:34 AM.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jjsC6
Traded two weeks ago. I had a 2016 A7 then a 2017. Both were Prestige with 20" Sport Package.

My 540 is an M-Sport with 20" wheels, Premium Pkg, Driver Assist, Luxury Seating and a few other odds and ends.

I won't go into why I traded as it's a goofey story, but the short of is is that my A7 was almost two years old and that's about all I can keep a car. I liked the A7s an awful lot, but the A6/A7 had just become too dated. The 5 series is all new. I should point out that I had a 2012 550 BMW before the A7s.

Here is the quick comparison. The A7 I think is the better "drivers" car from a handling standpoint but the 540 is fine in that regard. I basically use the car to commute from the Houston suburbs into town. Anyone who knows Houston knows that this does not require a great handling car. But kudos to Audi for the driving dynamics.

The A7 was a comfortable, competent commuter car, but the new 5 is better in that regard. The Luxury Seating seats in the 5 are incredibly comfortable and BMW has done a great job with the new suspension. The car has a great ride/handling combination.

One of my biggest complaints with the A7 has been the REALLY mediocre Bose sound system. The Harman Kardon in the 5 series is a very good system to my ears.

The other thing that the BMW has going for it that I also liked in my previous 550 is a solidness and quietness going down the road that is hard to convey until you spend time in one. They are bank vault solid. The Audi is good, but just doesn't feel quite as good.

The 3.0 Supercharged engine in the A7 is an outstanding engine, but the new 540 engine is better. Smooth as fine silk, power everywhere and better economy. If you never drive a BMW inline six you have my permission to rave about the Audi engine. But the 540 engine is sensational. Amazingly, the 540 is about as fast as the 550 I had with the 400 hp 445 torque twin turbo V8.

I love the new 540 and right now for what I use it for it's clearly the better car. But aside from the sound system I have nothing bad to say about the Audi. I would definitely consider one again, and recommend them to anyone interested in them.

Congrats on your new purchase!!! I like your fair and unbiased review!! As a previous owner of a 2012 BMW 535i xdrive which was very problematic and terrible from the beginning I was lukewarm initially on the new 5 series. I LOVE my A7 and I agree its more fun to drive but the new 5 is a comfortable yet competent daily driver and well rounded car. Im currently keeping my A7 for a long time and Im hesitant to get another BMW 5 after the constant headaches with the prior one and the poor ride and handling, forgive me. Otherwise the new 5 is very nicely done and a good imrpovement over the older one. Maybe you might be back which I have no doubt with the new 2nd generation A7!! : )
Old 08-04-2017, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks for the nice comments. I really did not expect to be back in a BMW myself. I really disliked the drivability problem with my 550. It was impossible to pull away from a dead stop smoothly. Ironically my first A7 was great, but my second one was plagued with the same problem as my 550. But I drove other 2016 Audi's with the same powertrain that were fine.

I actually drove two of the new 540s to make sure they accelerated smoothly. I'm happy to say that BMW improved on a few things that were irritating with the F10s. I'm realistic though, no car is perfect and I'm very picky. Two years from now I'll be chomping at the bit to get something new.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for the nice comments. I really did not expect to be back in a BMW myself. I really disliked the drivability problem with my 550. It was impossible to pull away from a dead stop smoothly. Ironically my first A7 was great, but my second one was plagued with the same problem as my 550. But I drove other 2016 Audi's with the same powertrain that were fine.

I actually drove two of the new 540s to make sure they accelerated smoothly. I'm happy to say that BMW improved on a few things that were irritating with the F10s. I'm realistic though, no car is perfect and I'm very picky. Two years from now I'll be chomping at the bit to get something new.
I'm also very picky and had vibration issues with my 5 and now when I buy a new car I drive it extensively to make sure there aren't any vibration. Several of the earlier 5 series had chassis vibration felt in the seats 70-75 mph that dealers couldn't solve and drove me nuts. I will test the new 540 and see how it is. Never hurts to try it. Otherwise drive safe and hope to see you back here in the future! Also, do you still have the Lexus GS? I had a 2013 GS F-sport after my 5 and before the A7 I currently have now and it was a great car.
Old 08-06-2017, 02:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Baloo588
I'm also very picky and had vibration issues with my 5 and now when I buy a new car I drive it extensively to make sure there aren't any vibration. Several of the earlier 5 series had chassis vibration felt in the seats 70-75 mph that dealers couldn't solve and drove me nuts. I will test the new 540 and see how it is. Never hurts to try it. Otherwise drive safe and hope to see you back here in the future! Also, do you still have the Lexus GS? I had a 2013 GS F-sport after my 5 and before the A7 I currently have now and it was a great car.
We traded my wife's GS about 18 months ago for a GX460. She wanted back in an SUV.
Old 08-06-2017, 01:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the downgrade!!!!
Old 08-07-2017, 03:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jesser916
Congrats on the downgrade!!!!
Thanks. 😜
Old 08-09-2017, 08:15 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Congrats on the 540, I'm sure you'll enjoy it..
Old 08-10-2017, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JT4
Congrats on the 540, I'm sure you'll enjoy it..
Thanks.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations. I recently came over from BMW to an A7. The BMW technology is definitely a couple notches above Audi. From the camera resolution to the navigation systems, BMW really is superior.

Quick Reply: Traded my A7 for a 2017 BMW 540