Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

I need you guys to talk me off the ledge!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts
Default I need you guys to talk me off the ledge!

So I sold my wife's 2016 XC90 T6 a little over a month ago. I placed an order for a 2018 Q7

Glacier white
Cedar
Luxury
adaptive chasis
drivers assistance
black optic
cold weather
tow
black alcantara headliner
and front plate delete.

Looks like our car should come in between end of September to end of October.

Here is where I'm struggling. My wife is in my brother in laws little Toyota Yaris that stinks and I know she misses her Volvo. Right now I can get a ridiculous deal on a T8 XC90 fully loaded ($84K sticker) for the same amount down and payment that we had on the T6. They are giving ridiculous incentives right now through August.
I have an S7 and just love it and really wanted two Audis in my garage but if I am honest with myself my wife doesn't really care about cars nearly as much as I do.

XC90 Pros
1. Get it now
2. Couple hundred cheaper a month
3. Better gas mileage
4. HOV sticker for her commute
5. Plug in capable so she can go to work on zero gas and plug in at work and zero gas home.

Q7 Pros
1. Get the car I really want
2. some features not available on XC90 (power close doors, 4 way steering, amazing tech with virtual cockpit)
3. Have a better built car and better dealer experience.

We lease everything so both cars are leases as it makes sense to us for our business's.

Someone please talk sense to me either way.

Thanks,
Jesse

Last edited by djpeaksd; 08-15-2017 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Jesse, I always meant to ask you why you gave up the first XC90? I assumed for the all the issues they were gaving but care to share more details?
Old 08-15-2017, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Experience both and pick whatever you feel is best for you
Old 08-15-2017, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If she doesn't care about cars, and you aren't going to be the one driving it, I say keep the cash in your pocket and get the Volvo. At the end of the day she'll be happy and you'll have more money to save for a house, vacations, retirement etc.

Just my .02
Old 08-15-2017, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Let her know the Volvo isn't as good and may spend a lot of time in the shop. If she's ok with that then let her have it.

Last edited by Bozman5000; 08-15-2017 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Meyecul
Jesse, I always meant to ask you why you gave up the first XC90? I assumed for the all the issues they were gaving but care to share more details?
So the car was great actually. We did have some growing pains (mostly all software related) that did seem to get resolved with the most recent software update.

We were in a 3 year lease and we were over miles by like 6,000 and tires were going to need to be replaced soon along with the registration paid. So I tested the waters on Autotrader and was able to sell the thing for $49,000 and only owed $47,000 so figured it was the best thing to do as I would have gotten like $42,000 on a trade.

The T8 wasn't even out when we bought ours back in 2015 but looking at just the pure #s it seems the XC90 is a way more financially sound purchase as the plug in hybrid would essentially cost her $0 in gas during the week on her commute and she would have access to the carpool lane for the next two years, also the deals right now are crazy on that car.

The problem is that I don't always make financially sound car purchases and I feel that I am kind of getting the Q7 for her to scratch my own car itch that I get quite often.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would get her the Volvo. The car pool lane thing is worth a huge amount. That is the main reason why people in CA buy Teslas.

I did all the math, and a lease is best for a business compared to a loan, due to the extra tax benefits, if you are going to get a car every few years. But it is still much more expensive than buying the car and keeping it 10 years.

So if it were me, I would buy the Volvo, and keep it 10 years. Treat it like an aircraft - no one gets one of those every 2-3 years.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by djpeaksd
So the car was great actually. We did have some growing pains (mostly all software related) that did seem to get resolved with the most recent software update.

We were in a 3 year lease and we were over miles by like 6,000 and tires were going to need to be replaced soon along with the registration paid. So I tested the waters on Autotrader and was able to sell the thing for $49,000 and only owed $47,000 so figured it was the best thing to do as I would have gotten like $42,000 on a trade.

The T8 wasn't even out when we bought ours back in 2015 but looking at just the pure #s it seems the XC90 is a way more financially sound purchase as the plug in hybrid would essentially cost her $0 in gas during the week on her commute and she would have access to the carpool lane for the next two years, also the deals right now are crazy on that car.

The problem is that I don't always make financially sound car purchases and I feel that I am kind of getting the Q7 for her to scratch my own car itch that I get quite often.
Quick question, is the car for you or her? Happy wife, happy life, no?
Old 08-15-2017, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gsobol
Quick question, is the car for you or her? Happy wife, happy life, no?
Hahahaha! Touche
Old 08-15-2017, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

How often did you spend taking in the XC90 before? What was the dealer experience like? What about loaners?

I really wanted to love our T6 XC90 (R-Design, Polestar tune, Invisihitch)... but over 10 months it spent 40 days, off and on, in the shop... and that experience absolutely sucked all around. Dealers sucked, loaners sucked, the problems they say they fixed still sucked.

We finally dumped it and now in the Q7...and everything works.

Remember those days when you waited for Sensus to boot up for the first 5 miles of your drive? Remember when you had to reset your seat settings each time you got in after your wife was driving? Remember wondering why you had such a big screen with a great map that you couldn't easily use for navigation? And if you want to tow, watch out for the Dremmel they use to cut out the bumper for the tow hitch.

All those things are gone for us... and we don't miss the XC90 at all.

Money aside... it's the added stress in your life of dealing with a luxury SUV where everything doesn't work like expected.

Finally... go back over to Swedspeed and notice that the forum threads continue to be about problems, gltiches and frustrating gremlins. Here you'll see mods, mileage, and mostly happiness... come back off the ledge!

Last edited by GeoJoe; 08-15-2017 at 06:00 PM.

Quick Reply: I need you guys to talk me off the ledge!