Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Do test drives really matter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Do test drives really matter?

Many people suggest test driving before ordering a car. It really makes sense on paper, especially when you are unsure of the build quality, driving position, etc.
However, I found that test driving a brand new car does not really help sell it. The test drives are often not in ideal conditions. The engine is not broken in. The tires are too new. Gas tank is almost empty. Sale person sitting next to you. No overnight loan. The list goes on and on. It is almost like buying a TV based on in-store display models.

Do you have better luck with test drives? Did your test drives often convince you to purchase?
Old 08-21-2017, 06:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree. I've only noticed annoyances well after purchases. With sport cars it's not like you're going to drive them at 9/10ths in a test drive.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may not be able to drive ***** out during a test drive, but you can at least get a feel for the car. I'd much rather have the opportunity to do a test drive than simply wonder what the car is like. Alternatively I ask you the question what is the harm in doing a test drive? Case in point, the person that posted the thread about him buying an RS3 and then turning around and selling it 1 week later is a perfect example of a test drive helping make a more informed decision.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

knowledge is power.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It really depends on your dealer, When I took the S3 out for a test drive; the sales associate never came with us and he told us have fun. Took it to different situations and test rode the **** out of it. IMO its hard to buy a car without test driving it.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most of my test drives did not fare well and the cars did not perform to my expectations because they are too new. I wound up buying a different car almost every time. The only exception is a 2011 S4. I have been driving VAG cars exclusively and am comfortable with the feels. I rather not let a bad test drive ruin it. Most recently, I ordered a Golf R after test driving a S3 which I thought would be perfect.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

For me, a test drive is just as important as trying on jeans at a store rather than ordering them from a catalog. I need to know that the seat can adjust for my long legs, and that the steering wheel, mirrors, and sight-lines are still comfortable at that point. I also need to test-sit the passenger seat if I want to confirm that it can adjust for me in case my wife will help drive on a road trip etc. I discovered with her previous Toyota that the passenger seat was even less comfortable than the driver's seat.

If I can fit, then I like to drive the car out and get a basic feeling for its steering feedback, ride quality, and noise levels. I think about commute day, not track day. The hard part here is that you can't really compare if the test drive circuit is being restricted by a sales person and it's not a road you are familiar with already. The day we bought our new Q3, I wasn't really planning to buy a car but only to start comparison shopping. But, the salesman handed me the keys for an unattended test drive because I asked him if I could take it to the freeway to judge the road/wind noise levels. We drove towards our home turf and as we neared, we decided to pick up the checkbook before heading back to the dealer. We got stuck in traffic on the way back and I got a feel for the car in stop-and-go driving too.

For me, that test drive answered nearly all my questions about the Q3. We had actually test driven a Toyota RAV4 earlier that same day and the qualitative difference was night and day. We decided that it was a perfect compromise and value for what we were after. That night after finishing all the paperwork and waiting for them to do a quick prep, I drove home the same Q3 that we had test driven.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenDice
Most of my test drives did not fare well and the cars did not perform to my expectations because they are too new. I wound up buying a different car almost every time. The only exception is a 2011 S4. I have been driving VAG cars exclusively and am comfortable with the feels. I rather not let a bad test drive ruin it. Most recently, I ordered a Golf R after test driving a S3 which I thought would be perfect.
By this logic, it sounds to me like you are afraid of being disappointed as a result of a test drive. Sorry, but I just can't fathom a test drive being a negative, particularly if you're going to drop $60k+ on a new car.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by GreenDice
Many people suggest test driving before ordering a car. It really makes sense on paper, especially when you are unsure of the build quality, driving position, etc.
However, I found that test driving a brand new car does not really help sell it. The test drives are often not in ideal conditions. The engine is not broken in. The tires are too new. Gas tank is almost empty. Sale person sitting next to you. No overnight loan. The list goes on and on. It is almost like buying a TV based on in-store display models.

Do you have better luck with test drives? Did your test drives often convince you to purchase?
To me, test drives matter, because I'd definitely like to get a feel for the car before committing to purchase. It's like dating before having a long-term relationship (unless it's a love at first sight situation).
Old 08-21-2017, 09:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought it would be a no brainer to upgrade from my '13 Jetta GLI to the RS3, for a perfect "all-rounder". I'm now second guessing due to the reduced trunk space, and possibly less space in the back seat, and may opt for keeping Jetta, and adding TTRS. Had I ordered last year when they were announced, I may have regretted the decision.