Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Traffic Jam Assistant Coding - OBDEleven or VCDS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traffic Jam Assistant Coding - OBDEleven or VCDS?

Thanks to everyone for the posts on enabling lane keep assist; I used my new obdeleven and enabled it on my 2018 Q5 and it worked great!

Wondering - does anyone know if we can enable "traffic jam assist" that basically enables the Lane keep assist with cruise on at low speeds?

Thanks!
Old 08-28-2017, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Bump.. has anyone figured this out?
Old 08-28-2017, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by appzman
Bump.. has anyone figured this out?
Not yet - really hoping someone will soon!
Old 08-30-2017, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey amorak, since you said you used the OBDEleven on your Q5, I'm assuming it worked ok? Their website doesn't have the 2018's on the "supported" list yet. I'd like to get one and play around with it as well.
Old 08-30-2017, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jr_audi
Hey amorak, since you said you used the OBDEleven on your Q5, I'm assuming it worked ok? Their website doesn't have the 2018's on the "supported" list yet. I'd like to get one and play around with it as well.
I used my OBDEleven on my 2018 Q5 to enable the gear readout in the VC & disable the range limiter for the Comfort Window Up / Down. Used the same coding I used for my Q7 & A4.
My OBDEleven read my VIN & added it to my "Garage" as a 2018 Q5 with no problem.
Old 09-03-2017, 06:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by amorak
Thanks to everyone for the posts on enabling lane keep assist; I used my new obdeleven and enabled it on my 2018 Q5 and it worked great!

Wondering - does anyone know if we can enable "traffic jam assist" that basically enables the Lane keep assist with cruise on at low speeds?

Thanks!
Question.....what does traffic jam assist do? Is it the same as adaptive cruise control where speed is automatically adjusted based on vehicle speed in front?
Old 09-04-2017, 01:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by brew99
Question.....what does traffic jam assist do? Is it the same as adaptive cruise control where speed is automatically adjusted based on vehicle speed in front?
Traffic Jam Assist (TJA) is basically Active Lane Assist (ALA) at speeds less than 60km/h, but only becomes effective under certain conditions. While ALA makes use of the lane markings only (as far as I can tell), TJA makes use of lane markings as well as the vehicle's radar sensors (used for other assistance systems like Pre-Sense; Side Assist etc.)

The first requirement for TJA to become active is that Adaptive Cruise Control must be turned on. There are also other requirements of which the manual is not very clear, but it concerns other vehicles to be present in front and next to the vehicle. I've been unable to formulate a set of rules for myself as to when TJA becomes active as far as the latter aspect is concerned, but it seems to me that it either requires a vehicle in front and vehicles on each side, or a vehicle in front and a single vehicle on either the left of the right, if the road markings (lines) are very distinct.

It seems that TJA works for longer periods than Active Lane Assist and is less concerned (than ALA) about a lack of steering wheel input.

It works fairly well in stop/start traffic on the freeway, but it is definitely not a matter of the vehicle driving itself. One has to stay alert to what is going on around the vehicle to be able to take over if matters become too complicated for the system to deal with.

This guy provides a good demonstration of how the system works:

Last edited by BFN949; 09-04-2017 at 02:01 AM.
Old 09-04-2017, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

That's awesome!
I have the active cruise control. If I activate the lane departure. Can I also get this feature?
Old 09-04-2017, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cyberhero
That's awesome!
I have the active cruise control. If I activate the lane departure. Can I also get this feature?
I'm unsure what systems are required. If I'm not mistaken, what is called the "City Package" in Europe and RoW, is required, which includes functions like side assist (not sure if that is what Audi calls it these days - the function which warns you of a vehicle in your blind spot).
But I'm not at all sure of what I'm saying. I have not seen anyone who managed to code Traffic Jam Assist, although Kufatec sells a module which when plugged into your OBD port, does the coding. So they must have figured it out. https://www.kufatec.de/shop/en/audi/...ist-audi-q5-fy According to their website, these are the requirements:
Note:

Only suitable for vehicles with QK1
After installation the vehicle has to be coded

I've not been able to figure out what QK1 is. The coding required is simply the basic settings of the steering wheel which need to be done and which any dealer will be able to do.
Old 09-04-2017, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by amorak

Thanks!
I have a 2018 Q5 with the Driver Assistance Package (incl. ACC), but it doesn't have Audi active lane assist. The vehicle was built in mid-May and delivered to me in late June.
You have indicated you've been successful in enabling lane keep assist on your '18 Q5 using OBDeleven. That's great news!

I have a question... the '18 Q5 owner's manual (p. 118-120) shows/explains that vehicles equipped with active lane assist have a push button on the end of the turn signal lever. The turn signal lever in my Q5 has no such push button. When you enabled active lane assist did you replace your original turn signal lever with a new one having a push button?
Also.. are you located in North America, or elsewhere?
Thanks
/R