A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Flashing PRNDS lights on dash

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flashing PRNDS lights on dash

Hello.

I have read about the issues wth the flashing PRNDS lights on the dash and have worries that I am in for an expensive repair if the ECU has gone etc.

However I have one question to ask, the lights only flash sometimes and it is only when I stop and move the auto gear shift into reverse too quickly before the car has fully stopped etc. Hass anyone else ever experienced this issue and If I take more care and ensure that I fully stop next time ?

Thanks
Old 08-24-2017, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

I would take more care to stop fully and not rush the change. Having said that, the only way to know why it is flashing is to download the codes.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by lyleswk
I would take more care to stop fully and not rush the change. Having said that, the only way to know why it is flashing is to download the codes.
Just an update that I get the flashing lights now and then, however the car still behaves and drives normally.

The lights so far do not come on when moving along, only sometimes if I select reverse, but the car still moves backwards? then when I select D the lights stop flashing?

So I have a question, could this be a loose sensor at the shifter somewhere perhaps rather than the dreaded gearbox ECU? or is it more likely the gearbox control module inside the car?

Also If it is the ECU then I would need to get the codesread but do not have a device to do this as I only have a simple OB2 reader etc, so what’s the best method of getting thisequipment? If it is the ECU then I would be genuine second hand probably, but does anyone have more info on what gets faulty within the ECU i've seen videos of people re-soldering the connections as they come loose?

Last edited by A1EK; 09-14-2017 at 02:37 AM.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I got mine here:

Ross-Tech: Home
Old 09-19-2017, 12:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

I got mine here:

Ross-Tech: Home
Are the cheaper VCDS plugs and CD software any good to find the gearbox issue:?

USB Cable Car Diagnostic Scanner with CD VAG-COM 409.1 for VW/Audi/Seat VCDS | eBay
Old 09-19-2017, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

No way to tell since it doesn't have a brand, but given that it isn't branded and it's from China, i suspect it is pirated and therefore wouldn't touch it.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

No way to tell since it doesn't have a brand, but given that it isn't branded and it's from China, i suspect it is pirated and therefore wouldn't touch it.
So I got a VCDS Lite CD and cable and when plugged into my car I got two faults:

16891 - Idle Control System RPM: Higher than Expected.

P0507 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded – Intermittent

17090 - Transmission Range Sensor (F125): Implausible Signal

P0706 - 000 - - - Intermittent

The F125 Fault I was expecting as I have read about people getting this with the PRNDS flashing lights, however I was not expecting the idle control one.

However I will get round to removing TCU on the rear of the gearbox and will re-solder the wire contacts to see if this does the trick.