S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Winter wheel & tire options

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter wheel & tire options

Living in New Hampshire I'm already thinking about this.... On my S4 build out I did the 19" package with summer tires. So that now means I need to drop some more money.... The summers are Pirelli 245/35/zr19, 93y.
The dealer of course has packages that sells for well over $2k, that is not going to happen.
I was looking at Pirelli Winter 2, I can get those for $300 or so each and put them on the current 19" rims. I also have a friend who has a pro-tuning shop who is looking into 18" rims for me, which I put some other winter tire on.
How low on the speed rating can we go down to? I have a set of winter Blizzak's 245/40/r15 97H's that have one winter on them, I used them for my 2016 A4. Is H rating too low for a s4? My guess that it is but I figured I would ask.
I'm sure it's in the manual, I have not looked yet. I came here first. Thank you all.
Old 08-25-2017, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm pretty sure if you had gotten the "all-season tire" option, you would have gotten H-rated tires from the factory. So no, not too low.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

You can put whatever tires you want on it as long as you are conscious enough to never over-drive what they are rated for. Audi electronically limits the S4 to 130mph when ordered with H-rated all seasons, to pass safety regulations and protect people who don't understand that from themselves.

As for aftermarket wheel options, believe me I am looking closely but nobody seems to have confirmed fitment info just yet and I am determined to wait for it because those front brakes are no joke. My plan is to fit 18" aftermarket replica wheels and either Conti WinterContact SIs or Michelin Alpin PA4s. Cost will be between $1500-2000 with wheels, mount, balance depending on which of the two tire choices I go with.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
You can put whatever tires you want on it as long as you are conscious enough to never over-drive what they are rated for. Audi electronically limits the S4 to 130mph when ordered with H-rated all seasons, to pass safety regulations and protect people who don't understand that from themselves.

As for aftermarket wheel options, believe me I am looking closely but nobody seems to have confirmed fitment info just yet and I am determined to wait for it because those front brakes are no joke. My plan is to fit 18" aftermarket replica wheels and either Conti WinterContact SIs or Michelin Alpin PA4s. Cost will be between $1500-2000 with wheels, mount, balance depending on which of the two tire choices I go with.
ok, good info. Keep me posted what you find. thank you
Old 08-25-2017, 09:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was also looking and noticed that tirerack does not have options up for wheels yet, but discount tire does return some options if you seach by year/make/model. I hate waiting to order winter tires because the selection tends to get more limited as you wait, and it's usually easy to find wheels.

If someone finds replicas I'd love to consider that option, especially in 18 inch.

I've already figured out that it's going to be the same or cheaper to go with 18's vs buy winters that fit the 19's so I'm going with 18's solely for ride quality. I can't imagine hitting a pothole in the winter with as low a profile tire that comes on the 19's. That did not work out well for me in my last car.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
As for aftermarket wheel options, believe me I am looking closely but nobody seems to have confirmed fitment info just yet and I am determined to wait for it because those front brakes are no joke.
I don't understand how we don't have fitment information yet since this car has been out for more then 6 months here and over 1.5 years in Germany. I've seen a bunch of S4's on Tag motorsports in their gallery with 19's and 20's so they gotta possibly know the fitments don't they?

Are tire/rim manufacturers that lazy that they can't get an S4 from a customer/dealer & get the fitments?

Originally Posted by zamboni27
I was also looking and noticed that tirerack does not have options up for wheels yet, but discount tire does return some options if you seach by year/make/model. I hate waiting to order winter tires because the selection tends to get more limited as you wait, and it's usually easy to find wheels.

If someone finds replicas I'd love to consider that option, especially in 18 inch.

I've already figured out that it's going to be the same or cheaper to go with 18's vs buy winters that fit the 19's so I'm going with 18's solely for ride quality. I can't imagine hitting a pothole in the winter with as low a profile tire that comes on the 19's. That did not work out well for me in my last car.
That's another reason I went with 18's on my ordered S4. When we finally get fitments I'll be ordering a set of the Hartmann replica 18's that match the 19's that you can option on the S4 and will be selling my 18's that came with the car...want to have these Hartmann's hopefully by October before my car comes in late Oct/early Nov.

https://www.hartmannwheels.com/audi-wheels#uid-3

Last edited by Spartan-S4; 08-25-2017 at 09:48 AM.
Old 08-25-2017, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by zamboni27

This is what I'm also going to do. I have 19's with summer tires. I'll be picking up a set of 18's with all season tires. It would be easier for me to swap out the wheels at home then to have tires remounted.

Also looking forward to 18's with better ride quality.
Old 08-25-2017, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Last week I spoke with a rep at The Tire Rack. Accordingly, they'll have winter tire and combo packages posted within the next two weeks. Using a B8.5 as a reference, package price (4 rims & tires with mounting) is priced between $1200-1500 USD. I will be going with this option vs. swapping tires on my factory 19" rims.

Personally I don't like use all-season tires. Though it cost more, I prefer the performance benefits of the seasonal tires.

OP, I also drive in the Northeast. My winter setup will be installed by mid-November. I will be curious to see how this car performs in the snow vs. my current DD, being a Jeep GC w/ Quadra-Drive II. I suspect there will be an advantage with the S4 on braking but I will give up flexibility in the deep snow (especially pushing through the deep snow going up my driveway).
Old 08-25-2017, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/audi/s4/2017/

This is a reference link I found with details on sizing. Not sure if I should order my wheels using the sizes listed here.

@NHman...thanks for the heads up on Tire Rack packages coming up. I'll keep an eye out for them.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

will an 18x8 wheel with ET 47 clear the s calipers?
this wheel in particular
ALY58838U20 Audi A4/S4 Wheel Silver Painted #8K0601025D
TIA

Quick Reply: Winter wheel & tire options