Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

2018 Audi Q5 vs 2018 Volvo XC60

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 Audi Q5 vs 2018 Volvo XC60

Probably like many of you, I started my search for a new SUV with a fairly long list of potential vehicles. After a lot of time spent researching and test driving SUVs, I narrowed my list to two vehicles - I was leaning heavily toward a Q5, but I was intrigued enough by the reviews on the XC60 I wanted to wait to make a decision until an XC60 arrived at my local dealer for a test drive.

I was finally able to take a 2018 XC60 out for a short test drive this afternoon, fully expecting to eliminate it from my short list, and then move forward with negotiating a deal for a Q5 Prestige.

Problem is I was surprised just how nice that XC60 was when I test drove it today. In fairness, it's not exactly apples to apples. My local (small town) dealer is both the Audi and Volvo dealer - but they only have one Q5 and one XC60 to test drive.

The XC60 I test drove was a fully loaded Inscription, but the Q5 was a Premium Plus. I understand a more fair comparison would be to compare a Prestige vs the XC60 Inscription.

But after the Volvo test drive today, I'm not certain I'm ready to go with the Audi.

I understand this is an Audi forum, but can I ask please if anyone else has had a hard time deciding between the two vehicles? And what tipped the scale in making your decision?

Thanks!
Old 08-25-2017, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While I didn't test drive the new XC60, I did just buy a SQ5 Prestige. The ride is fantastic, cabin is quiet even on rough roads going 80mph. Personally I recommend the Audi based on my experience. Volvo has no track record with the twin charged engine, I forsee it having issues over Audis proven 2.0T. There are probably people here better suited to answer your question than I am since I didn't test drive a Volvo.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Volvo makes a lovely car.

A lovely, boring car.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

BenjaminNicholas...that's funny! I agree, the Volvo wasn't as much fun to drive as the Audi. I also wasn't impressed that ALL of the controls are through a touchscreen...seems more complicated and distracting than the Audi.

AndroidRobot...congrats on your SQ5 Prestige! Unfortunately, my local dealer doesn't have a Prestige for me to test drive, so I'll head up to Chicago soon. Test driving a Prestige will be a much better comparison to the fully loaded Inscription.

As always, I appreciate the discussion and insights. I'm still leaning Audi...and I know the Q7 has been more reliable than the XC90. I was just surprised today at the quality, fit, finish, and safety features of the Volvo.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ILAudiQ5
BenjaminNicholas...that's funny! I agree, the Volvo wasn't as much fun to drive as the Audi. I also wasn't impressed that ALL of the controls are through a touchscreen...seems more complicated and distracting than the Audi.

AndroidRobot...congrats on your SQ5 Prestige! Unfortunately, my local dealer doesn't have a Prestige for me to test drive, so I'll head up to Chicago soon. Test driving a Prestige will be a much better comparison to the fully loaded Inscription.

As always, I appreciate the discussion and insights. I'm still leaning Audi...and I know the Q7 has been more reliable than the XC90. I was just surprised today at the quality, fit, finish, and safety features of the Volvo.
Thank you. While I too like what Volvo offers from the safety side of things I was hesitant to drive one. The all touch screen interface would really bother me. I'm a very tech oriented person and Audi nails it with their system. I'd rather have a nice wheel/touch pad than a touch screen. This saves the driver from making unsafe gestures the volvo has through it's central touch screen (don't get me started on the model 3...). The Audi buttons have a nice tactile click that's deeply satisfying. I'm an engineer so I truly enjoy when buttons feel crisp and we'll positioned. The virtually cockpit is way better than Volvos offering too. Some aspects Volvo does better such as their automation, but I wouldn't buy one for that alone. There's something about Audis interiors that makes them feel special. The SPA Volvo uses is no doubt beautiful on its own although I feel it's not as practical. I'm including pictures of my car to give you an idea in case the P+ you drove was different. Obviously the Q5 won't have CF trim or a flat bottom steering wheel, the rest should be close enough
Old 08-26-2017, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

After my Audi dealer screwed up my Q5 order, I took the opportunity to test drive the XC60.

It's a nice car for sure, but fit and finish was noticeably different and there was a "specialness" missing that you immediately feel in the Q5. The tiles on the Volvo nav unit look nice but once you're actually navigating I found the map graphics to look a bit outdated. I also don't like how Volvo laid out the inlays as compared to the xc90 and that steering wheel is just so ugly. There was also this feeling that you're driving a box.

My wife and I walked across the street and after sitting in the Q5 we were instantly (re)sold on the Q5 and placed a new order.
Old 08-26-2017, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A vehicle with an entirely touchscreen interface is destined to feel old a lot quicker than most. Dollars to doughnuts, the interface will not be updated, age badly and make the whole vehicle feel dated. The one exception to this rule seems to be Tesla, but then again, they update their interface and look quite frequently (or allow owners to download their own 'look' to the digital dash).

It was a main reason I didn't wait for the new LR Velar... Well, that, and who buys a first-year LR without the constant worry of things going wrong
Old 08-26-2017, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

I had narrowed down my search to the Q5, until I read about the Volvo XC60. My Q5 Prestige is sitting at Port waiting for release to carrier. I had a chance to test drive the new XC60 Inscription a couple of weeks ago. I tried the Inscription (not fair since it had the higher horsepower compared to the Q5). The seats are definitely more comfortable than the Q5, in fact the one I tried came with a back massager standard (even on the passenger). Also has the parking aid to help parallel or perpendicular parking. But the bid deal to me is the MMI. I love the virtual cockpit on the Q5 and the interface. The XC60 has the same digital cockpit display unit, but they dont shrink the gages to display more like the Q5. Also, you cant control the NAV while the vehicle is in motion, a big deal for me. Seems you have to reach more for the Volvo touch screen. I will keep the Q5, but that XC60 was pretty darn close.
Old 08-26-2017, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My previous car was a Volvo (not SUV) and I test drove the 2017 XC60 and the 2018 Q5, so not apples to apples with your comparison.

I liked the drive of the Q5 significantly better and I got a pretty good deal on the Q5, so my Premium Plus w/Nav was only $4K more than relatively comparable, but not-as-nicely equipped 2017 XC60. For a similarly equipped 2018 (for which I would have had to wait several months), the XC60 would have been the same price or a little more than the Audi.

Two months in, I don't have any regrets. Love the car and think the placement of the display is fantastic. I just wish they would let Android Auto or CarPlay use the virtual cockpit as a display...
Old 08-26-2017, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you for all of the thorough and insightful responses - that's why I love this forum. I really liked the Q5 from the first time I drove it, but there are a few nice vehicle options out there. Audi can thank this forum for playing a role in me being this excited to buy my first Audi.

AndroidRobot - thanks for the pictures! With your engineering background you captured the Audi vs Volvo difference very well when you explained why you prefer the Audi controls/interface vs the Volvo touchscreen. I only took the XC60 for a short test drive, but I was uncomfortable EVERYTHING is controlled by that touchscreen. Seems inefficient and distracting...just as an example, I had to hit the touchscreen several times just to adjust the temp. I believe Consumer Reports expressed the same concern from their initial test drive of the XC60.

Thank again to all who took the time to share your insights and advice.

Quick Reply: 2018 Audi Q5 vs 2018 Volvo XC60