Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

dashcam + radar detector hard wire

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Default dashcam + radar detector hard wire

I just completed wiring in my radar detector (a Max360) and my dashcam in my S5. I'm really happy with how they both turned out. Result was really clean with basically no wires showing:

First the dashcam, which uses mini-USB. Tools used:

Trim removal tools Trim removal tools

10-ft Mini-USB cable 10-ft Mini-USB cable

USB 12-v charger

I decided to place the dashcam on the right hand side of the mirror up high stuck to the black material next to the mirror. To do this, I ran the 10' mini-usb cable down the right side of the headliner, inside of the passenger door, and then underneath the glovebox, and then out to the 12v socket, where I have a usb charger.

I used a bent trim tool to slowly tuck the USB cable from the dashcam location into the lip of the headliner just past the windshield.

At the edge of the headliner where it meets the passenger side A-pillar, Audi has very strong clips and tight tolerances to prevent rattles. I couldn't get the cable completely tucked in, but you have to look up to really notice the slight amount of exposure the cable has:

Once I transitioned to the A-pillar, I moved the cable to the outside door seal and tucked the cable (again with the trim kit) into the seal, then transitioning the cable at the bottom of the pillar into the spot between the dashboard and the right-side of the car. This wire isn't visible with the door closed:

I then tucked the cable underneath the glove box, and then out in between pieces right into where I have the 12v USB charger:

The following users liked this post:
flyinglow123 (06-06-2022)
Old 08-26-2017, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

For the radar detector, I used
this MirrorTap this MirrorTap
and disassembled the mirror to get at the power cable. First I pulled off the center piece that others have detailed to be able to see the power cable to tap into:

Unfortunately, I found it nearly impossible to get the taps into the right wires at this point -- things were too tight up there. So I next twisted and yanked off the whole mirror assembly:

I then was able to detach the wire and tap into the yellow one (with + / red) and the brown one next to it ( - / black):

I then took off the plastic pieces around the mirror, and got the structural part of the mirror back onto its mount by getting it on and twisting it counter-clockwise:

Then it was a matter of reassembling the plastic pieces around the mirror:

Finally, when putting on the center piece, there's plenty of room and a rubber gasket allowing you to tuck in excess wire. It looks very clean:

Another view of the finished project:

The following 2 users liked this post by scoopman:
kpdylan (10-01-2022), snafu_ (05-08-2022)
Old 08-26-2017, 06:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice write up and awesome install job.
Old 08-26-2017, 11:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 184 Likes on 116 Posts

Nice install Scoopman. I too will be doing a dash cam and radar install when my S5 arrives.
Old 08-27-2017, 02:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looks good!

I need to do this. Nice install.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by scoopman
I then tucked the cable underneath the glove box, and then out in between pieces right into where I have the 12v USB charger:

Question about your USB charger...I think I have the same one and am having a problem with it popping out of the socket...have you had any issues with yours staying put?
The following users liked this post:
MeAudiRS5sportsback (07-03-2020)
Old 08-28-2017, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by chucktu
Question about your USB charger...I think I have the same one and am having a problem with it popping out of the socket...have you had any issues with yours staying put?
I actually had two other ones that seemed to like popping out. This one in the pic seems tight and has so far stayed put. Think the springs were a little more robust in this one that hold the side things on the charger.

Link Link
Old 08-28-2017, 02:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I actually had two other ones that seemed to like popping out. This one in the pic seems tight and has so far stayed put. Think the springs were a little more robust in this one that hold the side things on the charger.

Link
Hmmmm that's the same one I have, but the double quick charger port model...maybe it's just a crap shoot on the quality control of them
Old 08-28-2017, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by chucktu
Hmmmm that's the same one I have, but the double quick charger port model...maybe it's just a crap shoot on the quality control of them
Probably -- you might want to try a new one from Amazon. They'll take anything back as defective if you say it doesn't stay plugged in.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Probably -- you might want to try a new one from Amazon. They'll take anything back as defective if you say it doesn't stay plugged in.
Yea I'm sending it back today...ordered an Anker to see if that one will hold...