Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

2014 Q7 TDI Fuel Filter Change

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts
Default 2014 Q7 TDI Fuel Filter Change

If you've found this thread, your searching like I did. Lucky for you I've done it and taken a few photo's!

Step 1: I would recommend picking up some supplies you might or might not have.

I used:
-Audi/VW Fuel Filter - Hengst 8K0127400A (Amazon was out of stock)
-OTC 4506 Fuel Line Clamp Set - 2 Piece -OTC 4506 Fuel Line Clamp Set - 2 Piece
-Shop rags box -Shop rags box
(Auto paper towels from the local Sams Club)
-Black Lightening Nitrile Gloves -Black Lightening Nitrile Gloves
-1 Large and 1 small pair of pliers
-Small paint cup/ bucket to catch the used filters fuel dump.
- Vagcom Hex-V2 Cable
*Mac running, Win10 in Parallels

Step 2: prep and place a bunch of rags below each filter connection.

Step 3: Grab the set of fuel line clamps and pinch about 4 inches back from the fuel filter connection points.

Step 4: Use which ever set of pliers work and pinch the fuel line clamps and remove the line from the filter (minor fuel seepage)

Step 5: Remove the other side and then remove the filter from the area, I recommend placing it in a small paint bucket or whatever you have lying around full of paper towels. NOTICE the rubber rings that held it in place, we're going to reuse those, so go ahead and slip both of them off.

Step 6: Remove the foam rings from the new Fuel filter, and replace the the Rubber rings from the old fuel filter.

Step 7: WATCH the direction of the arrows and make sure you're connecting the filter in the right direction. The arrow should face the Passenger Compartment.

Step 8: Reattach the fuel lines and make sure the clamps are in the OE place to secure the lines to the filter nipples.

Step 9: Remove the (2) fuel line clamps.

Step 10: We're going to use VagCom (VCDS) to energize the life pump and prime the system.

Step 11: Connect up the car to your computer, smart phone and bring up Vagcom (VCDS)

Step 12: Navigate to Fuel Pump and activate the lift pump for 20-30 seconds. I did it that long, and the rig started up instantly like it always has.

That's it! Super simple.

I would recommend you write the date and mileage on the filter with a black sharpie for the future when you're wondering when you last did it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Built4Sin:
Cboogie (06-21-2020), firstgermancar (04-14-2024)
Old 09-01-2017, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for the write-up. It's on my list of things to do.

In your Step 12, what is the navigation path to the Fuel Pump, and how do you access the link to the lift pump command?

Did you have any problem achieving good leak proof tightness of the OE hose clamps to the new fuel filter? Any special technique needed to be sure they are secure?

TIA!
Old 09-01-2017, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

01 Engine (menu)
-Output Tests
--Fuel Pump Electronics
Click the start button (You'll audibly hear it running)

As for the lines themselves, they're on there! I was going to change them out for worm clamps, but they seemed tight enough. After the prime, I just checked to see if anything was dripping. Looked good, I'll check it again in the future.

This is the easiest filter change I've done so far, compared of MK4 TDIs, and my BMW (under the car).

Take it easy!

Originally Posted by DUTCH VanAtlanta
Thanks for the write-up. It's on my list of things to do.

In your Step 12, what is the navigation path to the Fuel Pump, and how do you access the link to the lift pump command?

Did you have any problem achieving good leak proof tightness of the OE hose clamps to the new fuel filter? Any special technique needed to be sure they are secure?

TIA!

Last edited by Built4Sin; 09-01-2017 at 05:22 PM.
Old 09-02-2017, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Good write up. That is exactly how I did ours. Except I ran the priming procedure with VCDS twice for good measure. Probably overkill but my experience with diesel tractors and trucks made me fear an air bubble. It IS a super easy procedure compared to the old cartridge type filters.
Old 09-02-2017, 06:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the DIY post! I have the filter sitting in my garage.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sjsuQ7
Thanks for the DIY post! I have the filter sitting in my garage.

Finished up the fuel filter replacement. No issues, Q7 started right away, I took it for a drive afterwards and all is well. I did prime for about 2 minutes (4 - 30 second intervals) using VCDS. Also, one of my pinch clamps slipped off and I had to go fishing for it. Other than that it was straight forward, thanks for the DIY write-up!
Old 09-19-2018, 09:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 248 Likes on 212 Posts

I did this replacement back in July. As mentioned, it is quite easy.

I'm curious, though.... is this the only fuel filter? I have another filter, which looks much like those for the 2L TDI (except larger), and I cannot find any sort of canister where it might be used. Parts suppliers, such as Rock Auto, list this as the fuel filter, and they list the filter we all changed as being a "fuel water separator." Any information appreciated!
Old 09-20-2018, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by -Wes-
I did this replacement back in July. As mentioned, it is quite easy.

I'm curious, though.... is this the only fuel filter? I have another filter, which looks much like those for the 2L TDI (except larger), and I cannot find any sort of canister where it might be used. Parts suppliers, such as Rock Auto, list this as the fuel filter, and they list the filter we all changed as being a "fuel water separator." Any information appreciated!
Wes, correct this is only for the fuel filter. Could you take a picture and post what part you're in question about? We'll see if we can figure out what it is.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 248 Likes on 212 Posts

Hopefully I employed the attachment function correctly. There should be two screen shots... first showing an image of the mystery fuel filter, and the second showing the nomenclature for the filter in the engine bay that we changed in this thread.

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Q7 Fuel Filters.pdf (218.4 KB, 372 views)
Old 09-20-2018, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by -Wes-
Hopefully I employed the attachment function correctly. There should be two screen shots... first showing an image of the mystery fuel filter, and the second showing the nomenclature for the filter in the engine bay that we changed in this thread.

Thanks!
The one showing in the current PDF file is the fuel filter in a 2010 Q7 TDI.

Quick Reply: 2014 Q7 TDI Fuel Filter Change