A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Air bag light, parking brake malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 04:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air bag light, parking brake malfunction

Hello all!

I have just gotten my headliner redone due to it starting to sag, but after I had the vehicle return to me two new lights have appeared on my dash. One is the "air bag" light and the other is the parking brake malfunction warning that appear every time i start the car. Neither of these warnings were present before the headliner work was began. I have tested out the parking brake and it works fine. I'm quite sure that some sensors may have been tripped when the guy took my two front seats out. My question is how to make these issues go away.

Please advise.

Thanks
Old 09-02-2017, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,576 Posts

You're going to require a scanner tool (VCDS) so you can find out what the real problem is and to clear codes to try again.
That pair of lights is the generic "something is wrong" sign. I got the same thing when I forgot to plug the MAF cable back on after changing the air filter. Codes included lack of 12v to the MAF or such, which is when I went "oh, I probably know what that is". Plugged it in, no more ESC/PB lights.
There's probably a plug left unplugged somewhere.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SMac770
You're going to require a scanner tool (VCDS) so you can find out what the real problem is and to clear codes to try again.
That pair of lights is the generic "something is wrong" sign. I got the same thing when I forgot to plug the MAF cable back on after changing the air filter. Codes included lack of 12v to the MAF or such, which is when I went "oh, I probably know what that is". Plugged it in, no more ESC/PB lights.
the guy broke the handles in the headliner, been waiting on him to get them in. when i go in for him to install those, im gonna get him to pull it all out again and make sure the connectors are all properly set. i had a feeling it was something like that, but was confused on how sensors in the seats would have anything to do with the parking break
Old 09-02-2017, 10:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Broke the handles? You mean the grab handles? Yeah, I had two different dealerships break tabs on those trying to remove them so I could drop the headliner to replace my sunroof frame.
Idiots. Bought the tool as specified in the service manual for $8 on snapon, a tool that's part of the minimum required toolset no less. Takes 5 seconds to remove the handle with it.
To remove the broken tab handles, I drilled pilot holes and pulled the tab down with a right angle pick. Can't see it unless I'm hanging on the handle, so left them be.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by SMac770
I bought an 09 A4 wagon last summer and have had problem after problem. Soon after I got it, I was in an automated car wash and the car froze up and the "Parking Brake Malfunction & Airbag" warning lights came on, but the car was completely jammed. It shut down the car wash and a tow truck had to drag it out--quite embarrassing. The dealership said it was some kind of parking brake failure and charged me $2000 to fix it. A day later, the light started coming on again, and they said this time it's the airbag sensor in the passenger seat. This will be another $2500 to fix. They said they're 2 completely different issues. I'm a single mom, I can't afford another $2500 to put into this car. While working on it, the mechanic knocked off the rear view mirror. He said it was already broken and would be $1000 to fix. So...my question is...where can I get another mirror (it's the one with all the bells/whistles) and what do I do about the new light problem? How could this just magically appear a day after they fixed the parking brake? And it's a parking brake warning light...but they're saying it's an airbag sensor in the passenger seat? I'm a female, but I"m not clueless about cars.
Old 01-19-2018, 02:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Find yourself a good independent Audi mechanic. Much cheaper and usually smarter than the dealer monkeys.

If finances are that tight you might want to consider going to a more conventional car. Audis are not exactly known to be inexpensive to maintain and repair.

As for your question, used mirrors can usually be had for about $100-150 on ebay. You can also get a cheaper replacement without all the bells and whistles.