A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

A6 3.0t Avant. Possible oil leaks?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 3.0t Avant. Possible oil leaks?

Hello AW! TeamHate here

I'm usually in here on the D3 forums doing research hehe (Still looking for the right one to pull the trigger).

Anyway, I've only posted 1 other thread here on the C6 forum, regarding some issue with the spare wheel on my mom's car (The Superwagon as I call it) that was resolved a long time ago.

Mother purchased the Superwagon about 18 months ago. Absolutely fantastic car, no issues at all. Chipped, exhaust, pulley from previous owner, 400+hp, it's a beast, and everyone in the family LOVES the heck out if it.

Last week my mother came home from work, in the morning when she got the car out of the garage, there was a small drop of oil. Unfortunately, didn't have any time to even check it.

So today, as I was expecting more leaky leaky, and there was, I got underneath the bad girl. Took the splash guard off and.....Woah. Lots of oil. Most of it soaked up by the protective sponge, and now it was out of room to run so out of the splash holes it came.

It was a goddamn mess. Oil everywhere. Oil pan, sway bar etc... So I got a flashlight, clean everything and then waited for the leak to show.

At first, my assumptions were loose oil filter at the top, nothing. Leaky drain plug, nothing. Then I saw a trail of dry oil on top of the oil pan, so I followed it up and up, and up.

Well from the looks of it, the leak is coming from the top and dripping all the way down. So I got out from under there and went on the forums. Common leaks for the C6 A6 3.0t I found were coming from either lose filters/drain plugs and the VALVE COVER GASKETS.

So I looked again real good, and I see what seems to be dried drips of black(burnt) oil all down the walls of both side of the block, (where the valve cover gaskets are sandwiched). So I'm pretty confident that that's what's gone wrong. I know the 3.0t motors are damn solid, and have very little issues, but when they do leak, again, like I read, it could be the valve cover gaskets. Also, there's alot of that dirty black grime (the usual stuff you get when Audis leak oil. My ex-B6 A4 3.0 had that too).

Unfortunately, my smart a** forgot to take some pics of the mess underneath.

Really just looking for some guidance right now. The last thing I want is to start ordering/buying parts, wasting unnecessary funds off a simple hunch and observation. Hoping anyone can help me narrow it down to pinpoint it. I will appreciate anyone's advice.

Some basic vehicle info:
-125k miles
-Bought with 105k with a fresh oil change and filter.
-@ 115k another oil change/filter, and did sparkies.
-ZERO warning lights. No CEL etc...
-No smoke from under the hood of the car, and amazingly, no foul smell.

As a pretty experienced DIY'er on our Audi's, I'm wondering if this is possible to DIY?

Again, any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you guys

Last edited by TeamHate; 09-09-2017 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

^Bump

Anyone, Please?
Old 09-25-2017, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ok, so...... problems solved!

So after a couple of additional inspections on the car, I decided that it really can't be the VCGs or Timing Chain Cover/Vacuum Pump leak. I had had enough and so I decided to take off the splash cover once again and clean EVERYTHING that had been touched by oil, once again. This time however, I washed the horrendously oil-soaked plastic undercover, and let it sit in the sun. Then, WITHOUT installing back the guard, stuck it in the garage on Thursday night. I told her to buy the oil/filter because regardless of the problem, it was time for the Superwagon's oil change.

Well, Saturday morning confirmed my hunch. Put her on the ramps and there it was....... That damn drain plug/washer ($6 from the stealership). There were no traces of oil anywhere else underneath. I got right down to business, changed the oil, stuck in the new plug/washer, cleaned up again, started her up, drove it to let the oil run under pressure. Finally I let it cool, and put her on the ramps one last time.

Absolutely dry. What a relief. So now I'm happy, Mom is worry free, and no more leaky leak

So I offer this is advice for anyone with the 3.0t engine with an oil leak. Clean EVERYTHING, wash the cover (Yes, the sponge that is stuck onto the cover will hit the oil pan/sway bar especially is it's oily), leave the cover off to accurately find the leak.

I guess the washer was just worn out. Anyone know it these things are one-time-use only? Or did mine just "give up"?
Old 09-27-2017, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by TeamHate
Ok, so...... problems solved!

So after a couple of additional inspections on the car, I decided that it really can't be the VCGs or Timing Chain Cover/Vacuum Pump leak. I had had enough and so I decided to take off the splash cover once again and clean EVERYTHING that had been touched by oil, once again. This time however, I washed the horrendously oil-soaked plastic undercover, and let it sit in the sun. Then, WITHOUT installing back the guard, stuck it in the garage on Thursday night. I told her to buy the oil/filter because regardless of the problem, it was time for the Superwagon's oil change.

Well, Saturday morning confirmed my hunch. Put her on the ramps and there it was....... That damn drain plug/washer ($6 from the stealership). There were no traces of oil anywhere else underneath. I got right down to business, changed the oil, stuck in the new plug/washer, cleaned up again, started her up, drove it to let the oil run under pressure. Finally I let it cool, and put her on the ramps one last time.

Absolutely dry. What a relief. So now I'm happy, Mom is worry free, and no more leaky leak

So I offer this is advice for anyone with the 3.0t engine with an oil leak. Clean EVERYTHING, wash the cover (Yes, the sponge that is stuck onto the cover will hit the oil pan/sway bar especially is it's oily), leave the cover off to accurately find the leak.

I guess the washer was just worn out. Anyone know it these things are one-time-use only? Or did mine just "give up"?
Yes, the washer is a one time use item and should be changed everytime you remove the oil plug. This is one of the reasons I chose to switch to a FumotoŽ USA | Quick and Easy Engine Oil Drain Valvessolution.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by raj99
Yes, the washer is a one time use item and should be changed everytime you remove the oil plug. This is one of the reasons I chose to switch to a FumotoŽ USA Quick and Easy Engine Oil Drain Valvessolution.
Ok, That's what I figured Raj!

Thanks buddy