Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Any CarPlay/Android Auto shortcut?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 09:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any CarPlay/Android Auto shortcut?

If a phone is plugged in to the 2018 Q5 via USB, is there any way to launch CarPlay (or Android Auto for those less civilized creatures ) via a button or touch pad shortcut? Or does one always have to go in via the MMI software menu?

Alternatively, can the CarPlay home screen at least be brought up via Siri? Still waiting on my Q5 so can't rest this myself.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't found a way to go directly into AA or CP without selecting it through MMI. It will play music while plugged in without opening either which is good. I hate using my work iPhone, so my experience with CP is minimal. I've used AA since it's inception so if you have questions about that I'd be of more help.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by kakgungor
If a phone is plugged in to the 2018 Q5 via USB, is there any way to launch CarPlay (or Android Auto for those less civilized creatures ) via a button or touch pad shortcut? Or does one always have to go in via the MMI software menu?

Alternatively, can the CarPlay home screen at least be brought up via Siri? Still waiting on my Q5 so can't rest this myself.
Android Auto can be set to automatically launch when plugged in. It's a very easy option once you enable its "Developer Mode." Here's what you do:

1. Without having the phone plugged in to your car, run the Android Auto app. Open the side panel menu > "About"

2. Then click the "About Android Auto" title at the top 10 times rapidly. You'll see a toast on the screen that the Developer Mode is now enabled.

3. Once it is, click on the far-right "|" 3-dot menu, and choose "Developer Settings" (you only see this menu option after enabling Developer Mode).

4. The two options you definitely want to check on for Audi cars are:

-- "Request video focus on start" <-- This will auto-start Android Auto without having to do anything first on your MMI screen! Just plug in phone and it starts and switches to AA on the screen.

-- "Allow 720p video output" <-- This will enable Android Auto to fill the full width of your big 8" center screen with info, instead of the black sides that you see by default

I sorta know lots about Android Auto if you have other questions -- hope this helps.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by scoopman
Android Auto can be set to automatically launch when plugged in. It's a very easy option once you enable its "Developer Mode." Here's what you do:

1. Without having the phone plugged in to your car, run the Android Auto app. Open the side panel menu > "About"

2. Then click the "About Android Auto" title at the top 10 times rapidly. You'll see a toast on the screen that the Developer Mode is now enabled.

3. Once it is, click on the far-right "|" 3-dot menu, and choose "Developer Settings" (you only see this menu option after enabling Developer Mode).

4. The two options you definitely want to check on for Audi cars are:

-- "Request video focus on start" <-- This will auto-start Android Auto without having to do anything first on your MMI screen! Just plug in phone and it starts and switches to AA on the screen.

-- "Allow 720p video output" <-- This will enable Android Auto to fill the full width of your big 8" center screen with info, instead of the black sides that you see by default

I sorta know lots about Android Auto if you have other questions -- hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply although this isn't exactly the scenario I'm trying to address. I'm thinking more along the lines of when the phone has already been plugged in for a period of time but maybe you've navigated away from AA or CP to the standard Audi menus for some reason. As I will be getting the virtual cockpit and head-up display I plan to use the Audi-based nav instead of smartphone nav. Best scenario would be Audi adopting CarPlay's ability to control secondary displays but I'm not holding my breath for that (especially not as an upgrade to existing models). I do plan to make extensive use of CarPlay for music/podcasts, however.

It would be nice if the "Phone" shortcut button in the centre console was wired to the AA or CP home screen when a compatible device was connected.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yep gotcha. Let's just say that Audi refused to allow AA to be mapped to the 4 shortcut buttons... Closest you can do with AA is if you long press steering wheel voice button, you will get AA taking back video focus. But then Google Assistant will be listening for voice input. Not sure if CP works the same way but I bet it would.

I find it's not too bad to twirl the mmi all the way right then click one left then press. Not ideal but...

Thanks for the reply although this isn't exactly the scenario I'm trying to address. I'm thinking more along the lines of when the phone has already been plugged in for a period of time but maybe you've navigated away from AA or CP to the standard Audi menus for some reason. As I will be getting the virtual cockpit and head-up display I plan to use the Audi-based nav instead of smartphone nav. Best scenario would be Audi adopting CarPlay's ability to control secondary displays but I'm not holding my breath for that (especially not as an upgrade to existing models). I do plan to make extensive use of CarPlay for music/podcasts, however.

It would be nice if the "Phone" shortcut button in the centre console was wired to the AA or CP home screen when a compatible device was connected.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

BTW I also have VC and HUD and I cannot stand the MMI nav, it's pretty awful compared with Google Maps and Waze.

Not sure you can say the same about Apple Maps....

This being said you will find you can do a lot without switching back and forth to CP or AA. For example VC does a good job showing you the music track playing from your phone, and steering wheel controls let you change track easily.

Old 09-17-2017, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

I wanted to find the same answer as far as a short cut button. I did find this Youtube video explaining how to get in and out of car play on the Q7 which seems to be how it works on the 2018 Q5.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by scoopman
**Snip**
Fantastic. Thanks for that!

Question: I like to listen to Sirius talk show broadcasts from the phone app in "restart show" mode, so I can skip the incessant commercials. I do this through the Bluetooth "Media" connection. I also like to use Waze through AA. When I'm running AA and switch MMI to Media, it disconnects AA. Is there a way to use both?

Question: I want to listen to concerts that I have stored on my phone. I usually do this through Bluetooth "Media." I've tried to access them through Play Music in AA, but I don't see an option for Music Library\Albums, like the Play Music App. Is there a way to listen to them when I have AA running?

Thank you!
Old 09-18-2017, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by montclair2525
Fantastic. Thanks for that!

Question: I like to listen to Sirius talk show broadcasts from the phone app in "restart show" mode, so I can skip the incessant commercials. I do this through the Bluetooth "Media" connection. I also like to use Waze through AA. When I'm running AA and switch MMI to Media, it disconnects AA. Is there a way to use both?

Question: I want to listen to concerts that I have stored on my phone. I usually do this through Bluetooth "Media." I've tried to access them through Play Music in AA, but I don't see an option for Music Library\Albums, like the Play Music App. Is there a way to listen to them when I have AA running?

Thank you!
You can't used AA and also the media option through MMI; they work differently. I think it's a software limitation on both sides of the fence. The same has been true for every car I've used with AA or Carplay.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

thats a great tip, any more appreciated!

Quick Reply: Any CarPlay/Android Auto shortcut?