Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Repair Estimate - rear bumper covers and left quarter panel

Old 09-18-2017, 05:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repair Estimate - rear bumper covers and left quarter panel

Wife back the car into a brick column and cracked the left upper and lower rear bumper cover, broke the left rear bumper light, and and jammed up the left rear quarter panel right up to the crease in the wheel arch.

Of note, driver side rear door and the lift gate were both spared any damage. We had an estimate done and they quoted us $3500 for the repair. Here is that estimate. Can anyone help me understand this and/or advise whether this is reasonable? Thanks.

Old 09-18-2017, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Shaefer
Wife back the car into a brick column and cracked the left upper and lower rear bumper cover, broke the left rear bumper light, and and jammed up the left rear quarter panel right up to the crease in the wheel arch.

Of note, driver side rear door and the lift gate were both spared any damage. We had an estimate done and they quoted us $3500 for the repair. Here is that estimate. Can anyone help me understand this and/or advise whether this is reasonable? Thanks.

I have no clue, but its always safe to get 2-3 quotes so you can assess
Old 09-18-2017, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Also, its safe to assume that presense does not stop you if you are going in reverse, and about to hit something. Thats too bad
Old 09-18-2017, 05:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BigKutta
Also, its safe to assume that presense does not stop you if you are going in reverse, and about to hit something. Thats too bad
That would appear to be the case. It was one of those mornings where kiddo is in the car seat going berserk and it was just enough to divide mom's attention. She thought she was clear of the column to start her turn and instead accidentally turned directly into the column. At least it didn't break the gate or the column - can't imagine what that quote would've been. But I was also surprised that for all the things pre-sense picks up that it wouldn't automatically stop in this instance. Lesson learned.

Edit: It's also worth pointing out with regards to presense that this was an object that the car was moving towards and NOT something else moving towards the car. In all of the demos I've seen of presence, it concerns things coming at the vehicle and not allowing the vehicle to move into the path of something oncoming.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The quote strikes me as reasonable, but is insurance paying for it? If so, let the insurance company deal with it.

I had my first pre-sense event yesterday.

I was backing out of a parking space at Target slowly, and watching the back corner camera. Then chime, then the car slams on its brakes. Then I see a car whiz by behind me.

It was clear when I started, and they were going so fast that they were not yet in my camera view - and my sense of protocol is that if I am already backing out, no one should drive past me when I am in motion. I think they figured that since I was backing out at such a low rate of speed, they could step on it and quickly get by me without me hitting them. While that is probably true, they still should have waited.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just looking at the labor rates, it's a lot less then we pay here in NJ area, looks fair to me. I see a lot of these estimates as I'm in charge of a fleet of 118 vehicles.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
Just looking at the labor rates, it's a lot less then we pay here in NJ area, looks fair to me. I see a lot of these estimates as I'm in charge of a fleet of 118 vehicles.
Are you able to understand the "Rear Door" portion of what they're talking about? There is absolutely no damage to the rear door, so I can't imagine what would need to be repaired unless it has something to do with the quarter panel (which is damaged).
Old 09-18-2017, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you able to understand the "Rear Door" portion of what they're talking about? There is absolutely no damage to the rear door, so I can't imagine what would need to be repaired unless it has something to do with the quarter panel (which is damaged).
Yes, they are blending the paint on to the rear door, they never stop the paint on the panel that is repaired as your eye will go to that area since there is always a slight difference in paint when you repaint a vehicle. If you "Blend" in to another panel it will be much less noticeable if noticeable at all.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
Yes, they are blending the paint on to the rear door, they never stop the paint on the panel that is repaired as your eye will go to that area since there is always a slight difference in paint when you repaint a vehicle. If you "Blend" in to another panel it will be much less noticeable if noticeable at all.
Ahhh, okay. That does make some sense then.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

That would appear to be the case. It was one of those mornings where kiddo is in the car seat going berserk and it was just enough to divide mom's attention. She thought she was clear of the column to start her turn and instead accidentally turned directly into the column. At least it didn't break the gate or the column - can't imagine what that quote would've been. But I was also surprised that for all the things pre-sense picks up that it wouldn't automatically stop in this instance. Lesson learned.

Edit: It's also worth pointing out with regards to presense that this was an object that the car was moving towards and NOT something else moving towards the car. In all of the demos I've seen of presence, it concerns things coming at the vehicle and not allowing the vehicle to move into the path of something oncoming.
That's too bad. It can tell you if a car is coming from the side while you reverse, but it wont stop you from hitting a F'ing pole. Thanks Audi!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Repair Estimate - rear bumper covers and left quarter panel