Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

metallic white paint

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 02:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default metallic white paint

greetings

i recently purchased a 2018 a5 sb in glacier white.
when looking for touch up paint no dealers in my area had any stock of oem paint.

a few who did have it actually had it produced and packaged by local body shops for their parts departments, which is something i have never heard of before.
i have seen a couple claiming to be oem on ebay but it is was all limited to the russia area, and although it did have eom packaging im not so sure.

im now shopping for a new q5 in tofana white crystal. its listed as a color choice in the audi q5 sales brochure, but dealers are all claiming its unavailable.
and when i checked it was also not listed on the audi website. the 2018 brochures were recently printed ,so what could have happened in that very short time from then to now.

i live in n.y. / n.j. area so i dont know if this is a regional or national issue. and i dont know if its a production or distribution issue.
so my question is ,is audi having some kind of problem with their metallic white paints, and if so what is it.
and if any here might have actually seen both whites ,whats the difference between glacier ,and tofana .

Last edited by pal joey; 09-19-2017 at 02:46 AM.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pal joey
greetings

i recently purchased a 2018 a5 sb in glacier white.
when looking for touch up paint no dealers in my area had any stock of oem paint.

a few who did have it actually had it produced and packaged by local body shops for their parts departments, which is something i have never heard of before.
i have seen a couple claiming to be oem on ebay but it is was all limited to the russia area, and although it did have eom packaging im not so sure.

im now shopping for a new q5 in tofana white crystal. its listed as a color choice in the audi q5 sales brochure, but dealers are all claiming its unavailable.
and when i checked it was also not listed on the audi website. the 2018 brochures were recently printed ,so what could have happened in that very short time from then to now.

i live in n.y. / n.j. area so i dont know if this is a regional or national issue. and i dont know if its a production or distribution issue.
so my question is ,is audi having some kind of problem with their metallic white paints, and if so what is it.
and if any here might have actually seen both whites ,whats the difference between glacier ,and tofana .
Yep, you are right. Never noticed that before.

I sorta wonder if its a regional thing?

In Canada you can build one with Tofana White.

Reference.

However, on the Audi Canada site you can not build one. I guess you could request the custom color and call Audi out on it to flip the added cost since it is in their brochure.

I'm very curious, please keep us posted.

------------

In regards to your touch-up paint I would simply shop here.

https://www.amazon.com/AUDI-Genuine-Touch-Up-Paint-Brilliant/dp/B01M1KPMTN?th=1# https://www.amazon.com/AUDI-Genuine-Touch-Up-Paint-Brilliant/dp/B01M1KPMTN?th=1#
Old 09-19-2017, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

thanks for the amazon tip, but that ships from russia ,as mentioned in the reviews.
the fact that only russia has it, while audi does not had me hesitant.

since my initial search for the paint, a new jersey audi dealer in princeton, has given me a complimentary batch.
whats more impressive is that i didnt even buy my car from them. that is why i am giving them a deserved shout out,
and will give them an opportunity on the q5 sale.

so its not that i need the paint, its more that something is going on with the paint, and im trying to find out exactly what it is.
that was my primary color choice on the new q5 , and if its only a delay i have the time to wait.
possibly they might replace it with another version of white metallic.
but if white metallic is totally discontinued , i will then go with a secondary color choice.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

pal joey - According to Audi Canada's 2018 Product Order Guide.. in looking at the pages for the 2018 Q5.. Tofana White Crystal Effect, paint code 0R0R, has a "delayed introduction". It is not yet known when or if this color will be available to order.

Last edited by rbreeze; 09-19-2017 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Removed ref. to Tofana White on Q7.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

thank you.. there appears to be a bit of mystery involving a5/q5 audi white excluding ibis.
why illustrate it in a sales brochure and then state it might not even become available.

ive also wondered why audi would want or need 2 upgraded whites .
but one is a metallic and the other is a crystal.

metallics are dominant in a5/q5, and if tofana ever arrives it would be the only crystal.
i would need to see them side by side, as i did the ibis and the glacier.

would also like to see if they price them above the metallics, and if so how much more.
or is tofana possibly gonna be the replacement for glacier.

Last edited by pal joey; 09-19-2017 at 09:27 AM.